Hornby R 028 Shunters' Wagon

• RMweb Premium

:rolleyes: Whilst rummaging in the loft to sort through some old boxes of ancient wagons ready for moving on (they really are not going to be of use) I found my 'collection' of these wagons. OK they may not be very accurate but I have a soft spot for them.

I've just ordered a special edition 03 (Gateshead loco) and thought this R 028 might just, with some hacking about, become a match truck with which the 03s often ran (track circuiting required it I believe?) I've got a couple of good pics of a Gateshead 03 with its' match to help me out.

Without planning, I decided to see if it would take EM wheels. No chance without some surgery, so the following pics show what happened this afternoon on the first stage.

( I think sub consciously I was remembering Coachman's trick of widening coach under-frames :unsure:).

Tools: razor saw, Zuron Track Cutters, craft knife, mini hand drill/bit

Materials: bearings, masking tape, set of widened OO (12mm I think) wagon wheels, Unibond Repair Glue, plastistrut square profile (the white bit).

It runs :D.

Will I get any advice for detailing? Watch this space :drinks:.

Phil @ 36E

post-2326-0-29100300-1308680612_thumb.jpg

post-2326-0-92951200-1308680621_thumb.jpg

post-2326-0-47628800-1308680635_thumb.jpg

post-2326-0-22443800-1308680648_thumb.jpg

post-2326-0-97255000-1308680664_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Nice work Phil. I love the 'extreme' adjustments like this (that work!). I'll try this at some point the future... ...my usual attack plan involves 'thinning' areas around the rear of the w irons etc...

Regards

Stu

• RMweb Premium

Nice work Phil. I love the 'extreme' adjustments like this (that work!). I'll try this at some point the future... ...my usual attack plan involves 'thinning' areas around the rear of the w irons etc...

Regards

Stu

Cheers Stu. I tried filing a bit before I decided to go for the surgery! This little wagon and its' mates have been in the loft for ten years and in other lofts for years before that so I didn't feel any pain. Whilst trawling through the Dart Castings site I found some lovely little GWR Buffers that will now be attached (more snipping with the track cutter). Couple of good screw links and some air pipes will also make a big difference.

I've also looked at my prototype pics of 03s shunting and this wagon is wrong for those particular machines (ex single bolsters on the real thing I believe/). However, I will still use it and see if any rivet boys notice B).

Conclusion from this little experiment is that I will probably tackle some other RTR wagons and maybe RTR coach bogies where just fitting wider wheel sets or adjusting the width of the existing sets does not work well.:)

On a lot of my coach kits (mostly Comet) I shall just get new sets of bogies so I've got a choice of OO or EM depending on where I want to use them. An example of this would be my Bullion Van (Comet) which will fit my EM DCC layout transition Diesel era nicely but is really meant for a late 60s OO layout.

P

Phil,

I'd be inclined to use whichever short wheelbase 'flat' you wanted. In the utilitarian days of BR I imagine local traffic departments would have made do with whatever was available. The wagon was merely used with the 03's to guarantee track-circuit detection around station areas. I've found careful painting and weathering helps to detract from many inherent manufactured faults. I've made the mistake of some major hacking and adjustment only to cover up the work with a lavish coat of grime...

Regards

Stu

Phil,

I'd be inclined to use whichever short wheelbase 'flat' you wanted. In the utilitarian days of BR I imagine local traffic departments would have made do with whatever was available. The wagon was merely used with the 03's to guarantee track-circuit detection around station areas. I've found careful painting and weathering helps to detract from many inherent manufactured faults. I've made the mistake of some major hacking and adjustment only to cover up the work with a lavish coat of grime...

Regards

Stu

Burry Port yard still had one of the ex-GWR shunter's trucks until it shut in the 1980s- the yard pilot was usually a vac-only 03, and not necessarily a cut-down one. Most of the runners used elsewhere were either Conflat Ls or Conflat As.

Archived