Locos that would have run on the S&D

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Locos ommitted, I can't remember the numbers at the moment

ex MR 3P 4-4-0, last one was in 1950

ex LSWR 0395 class _ i have seen a photo of one working a freight to Blandford

SR Q class 541 - worked through to Bath and captured on film coming back into Blandford

SR U and U1 class - brief visitors

LNER B12 - which ran wartime specials over the line

Stanier 2-6-2 (brief appearance in 1960)

I seam to remember more classes that were seen, but at the moment I can't remember so will have to check.

regards

Duncan

Locos ommitted, I can't remember the numbers at the moment

ex LSWR 0395 class _ i have seen a photo of one working a freight to Blandford

SR Q class 541 - worked through to Bath and captured on film coming back into Blandford

SR U and U1 class - brief visitors

LNER B12 - which ran wartime specials over the line

Stanier 2-6-2 (brief appearance in 1960)

I seam to remember more classes that were seen, but at the moment I can't remember so will have to check.

regards

Duncan

Bournemouth allocated Q's were frequent visitors to Blandford on goods workings.

40098(12.60-05.61)/126(10.60-04.61)/161(11.60 -12.60) & 171(09.60-05.61) were allocated to Templecombe, and occasionally worked to Bailey Gate.

And I think the B12's were temporarily allocated to the West Country during WW2 on such workings as ambulance trains around D-Day, but is outside our era.

Is what we know about at Blandford, but info on anything else we would welcome.

Mr Mays wrote:

It would seem that you have managed to answer your own question without any help from myself.

Tim

And there was me hopeing you had more, anyway what's with this rather official 'Mr Mays' then?

• RMweb Premium

And there was me hopeing you had more, anyway what's with this rather official 'Mr Mays' then?

Ahh yes, but there is still the 0395 - from a load of photos from a solicitor, i saw very briefly at the first Blandford show and then, I think disppeared into the S&D trust who have been sorting out their photos for the last 3 years.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Apologies for hi-jacking this thread, but does anyone have a comprehensive list of the coaches that ran on the S&D? I'm particularly interested in the mid 1950s to closure.

Many thanks,

Richard

If he doesn't read your request, try a pm to Duncan 'blandford1969'.

• RMweb Premium

There was an article in a Backtrack a few years ago on coaches which was very comprehensive on the main sets used in the years from 1948 to closure. That would be the best option,although I am sure we could all chip in with the set numbers most frequently used.

So as your starter for 10

Local trains from Bath to Bristol - usually a GW B set or midland 2 set, The 7.01 departure had either a Maunsell or Bullied 3 set to get a set of coaches to Bristol for the 9.03 to Bournemouth.

Through services from Bristol to Bournemouth

Early 1950s LSWR 3 coach sets eg 421 and 348 being examples being replaced by Maunsell 3 coahc sets in the series of 390 to 399. These also had a strengthening coach added in the summer service, which was, in the early 50s a Midland design coach.

Occasionally Collet and Hawksworth 3 coach sets were used on the 5.58am Bristol to Bournemouth. You would need to look at photos for specific coach numbers.

During the winter service of 1958 Bulleid 59' sets 963 to 972 started to appear as the earlier coaches were withdrawn. Later still southern sets comprising on Mk1 coaches also appeared (I do not have the set numbers to hand)

For the southern coaches you would do well to consult the Oakwood press or OPC books on southern coaches for specific coach numbers. For modelling purposes you then also need to consider, especially with the 59' Bulleid sets when you are looking at as fairly quickly in their time on the line they started to get strengthening ribs running vertically down the coaches.

Hope this helps

Duncan

Edited by Blandford1969

Bournemouth allocated Q's were frequent visitors to Blandford on goods workings.

Do you have any more information about this, was it in BR days ?, when and which numbers ?.

I've only heard of a Q on a 1954 run up to Bath on the 9.28pm Poole-Bath freight due to the failure of the rostered WC at Bounemouth. It returned on the 9.55am the following day.

• RMweb Premium

In 1953 it was reported a Q ran up to Bath on the 9.28 ex Poole (later it was the 8.10 freight) and returned with the 9.53am from Bath, which would be the one you mentioned.

From memory 30541 worked a Bournemouth West Bath and return in December 1962 which is captured on video at Blandford Forum.

Do you have any more information about this, was it in BR days ?, when and which numbers ?.

I must dig out the pics again, most of them, if my memory serves me right, are late 50's/early 60's include 30535 & 30538 shunting the yard after arriving with fertilizer trains to Blandford & Webb from Poole yard.

Why is there this obsession with locos which might have appeared on the S&D perhaps once in 90 years when the OP seems to be asking about the everyday types for his model of an S&D station? You know, the 3F/4F 0-6-0s, the 2Ps, the Black 5s, the Johnson bogie tanks, a Jinty or two, and later the Standard 4s/5s/9s, Bulleid light pacifics, the various Ivatt and Standard tanks, and finally the Collett Goods and the odd Pannier.

Until he has multiple copies of all those he shouldn't worry about what might once have turned up on an excursion. Actually the best thing he can do is head off and buy the complete set of Ivo Peters' books. And if he's really serious about modelling the S&DJR then join the Trust.

• Like 1

Why is there this obsession with locos which might have appeared on the S&D perhaps once in 90 years when the OP seems to be asking about the everyday types for his model of an S&D station? You know, the 3F/4F 0-6-0s, the 2Ps, the Black 5s, the Johnson bogie tanks, a Jinty or two, and later the Standard 4s/5s/9s, Bulleid light pacifics, the various Ivatt and Standard tanks, and finally the Collett Goods and the odd Pannier.

Until he has multiple copies of all those he shouldn't worry about what might once have turned up on an excursion. Actually the best thing he can do is head off and buy the complete set of Ivo Peters' books. And if he's really serious about modelling the S&DJR then join the Trust.

You missed the 7Fs and 8Fs, and in early BR days the Crabs and Mucky Ducks. The reason for this obsession, is that it's not just once in 90 years.

When all of a sudden someone says that Qs were frequent visitors to Blandford, I think, 'hang on ... there's no published photos of this !' Thats just the point, Ivo Peters and the other photographers did most of their work at the weekend. They missed a lot of what happened during the week.