Locos that would have run on the S&D

• RMweb Gold

Why is there this obsession with locos which might have appeared on the S&D perhaps once in 90 years when the OP seems to be asking about the everyday types for his model of an S&D station? You know, the 3F/4F 0-6-0s, the 2Ps, the Black 5s, the Johnson bogie tanks, a Jinty or two, and later the Standard 4s/5s/9s, Bulleid light pacifics, the various Ivatt and Standard tanks, and finally the Collett Goods and the odd Pannier.

Until he has multiple copies of all those he shouldn't worry about what might once have turned up on an excursion. Actually the best thing he can do is head off and buy the complete set of Ivo Peters' books. And if he's really serious about modelling the S&DJR then join the Trust.

Puzzled by your use of the word "obsession". I feel there is more than one way to do most things in a hobby and while your approach undoubtedly leads to a most authentic stud, the other contributors have "merely" added to the sum of knowledge - which is seldom a bad thing. The more we know, the more choices we have, and thus the OP may be able to add a favourite "foreigner" knowing that one travelled his chosen prototype. His model - his choice, presumably?

Asking an innocent question here - and receiving lots of useful info and links - is surely what RMWeb is about?

• Like 1

Not just that, Ivo Peters spent most of his time at Templecombe and all points north thereof. Unfortunately the many workings from Poole yard to Blandford & Webb store went unrecorded, Bournemouth would turn out any loco in the class 3 or 4 range that it had available, in the late 50's, and early 60's it was mainly standard moguls, but they weren't always available.

edit, I think 'wagonman' was probably just having a bad day??

Edited by bike2steam

Puzzled by your use of the word "obsession".

Actually, I agree with the logic of Wagonman's comment. I have noticed that there seems to be desire to ignore the normal and banal aspects of the prototype and concentrate on the obscure and arcane.

I have no issue with adding to the 'sum' of knowledge but surely a sense of proportion is needed when attempting to replicate the prototype?

Tim

But Tim doesn't the obscure make it more interesting?? It's like when we run the Cobham funeral train on the Blandford layout, and the so called experts come out with 'Pullman coaches never ran on the S&D' - but then we show them proof.

Don't be an old grump.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Actually, I agree with the logic Wagonman's comment. I have noticed that there seems to be desire to ignore the normal and banal aspects of the prototype and concentrate on the obscure and arcane.

I have no issue with adding to the 'sum' of knowledge but surely a sense of proportion is needed when attempting to replicate the prototype?

I will merely observe that "authentic", "interesting" and "fun" do not, in my experience, always coincide. There also seems to be a desire to deny the OP the right to make his own mind up, which is a little patronising, to say the least.

Does the obscure make it interesting- I have no idea whether this is true, do you?

As for 'patronising', is that an appropriate comment within the context of holding an opinion that differs from your own, surely not?

Tim

• RMweb Gold

Does the obscure make it interesting- I have no idea whether this is true, do you?

As for 'patronising', is that an appropriate comment within the context of holding an opinion that differs from your own, surely not?

Yes, wholly appropriate. The OP was told he should not be taking an interest in the occasional visitors, but should concentrate on the regular power on the route. Leave it to the OP to make his mind up - none of the contributors has suggested their reports were daily events, so there is no intent to mislead. At the end of the day the OP can decide - he doesn't need the Authenticity Police knocking his door down. For some of us, this is a hobby.

Wagonman and DesA,

The OP asked a broad question and a broad range of answers have been supplied. I could understand the annoyance if the OP had asked what classes most usually worked the route but the question wasn't specifically phrased.

The other angle is that the information contributed within the topic may be of use to readers other than the OP too and raises subsequent discussion. The whole topic has been about locos that did run on the S&D so I can't see any problem. It's certainly not worth having an argument over.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Reading this thread, I'm wondering if if would be easier if we produced a list of locos that definitely didn't run on the S&D... ;)

The thing about odd and obscure examples for me is precisely that it makes operating the layout more interesting, so I'll happily re-invent a bit of history, geography etc. to make that fit... :D

At shows, I do have the occasional moment, when I try to enforce a 'pure' S&D roster, but you do have to go to the lavatory from time to time, and I can't always guarantee that certain 'trusted members of my operating team' won't slip a Thomas or a Duck into the mix... :O

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
Like this CK last time you went for lunch on Enginewood?

Quite.

Harrap is a marked man! (got our own back - sort of - at Aldershot, posing Stationmaster's Beattie on Quai 87.... (but Baron Harrap was too busy adjusting his backscene-cummerbund to notice).

Can't remember the full facts, but i think it was the wife of Sir Alan Cobham, founder of Flight Refuelling, and Cobham industries. When she died , about 1960 -ish a funeral train was arranged to run, from where I cannot remember, to Blandford, hauled by 34107, appropriately, with 4 Pullman coaches, the loco then ran light to Broadstone for turning, and returned. Meanwhile the funeral party went to Tarrant Rushton church for the funeral, and internment, and returned, where the train was ready for it's return journey. I will find out, and fill in the missing details.

Did any of these funeral trains make it through evercreech junction. ( forgive me as I am not 100% on UK city locations and therefore struggle a little) I am dearly looking for a prototypical reason to have a few pullmans go through there.

Im in Kernows camp, Whilst I want to run prototypical trains and I love researching it, now and then something different can be cool to run. Also knowing about as many loco's as possible running on the line gives me even more scope to spend hours doing arm chair research. I may accidentally leave a stove R attached from a LMS working to bath terminus attached to a train going south ;) :P

Owen

• 5 years later...

Discovered this forum quite by accident and thought I would add my tuppence worth.

I have a photo of a Q1 on shed at Templecombe with one of the 7fs. Frustratingly you can't tell if they are coupled together. My grandfather (born in 1891) worked on the Southern (and later BR(s)), and he gave me the photo. I will dig it out, post it on to this forum, and check the date it was taken, as it is written on the back. Memory (always a dangerous thing) suggests that both logos have the early BR emblem on the tenders. For those who might argue that it could well have appeared on shed at Templecombe perhaps having arrived from the Salisbury direction on a freight, I do recall him telling me that it was trialled on the line, presumably I suppose with a view to introducing a more powerful 0-6-0. He remembered however that the trial was short lived, as the braking on these was apparently pretty hopeless and they were too light for effective adhesion on the grades.

I have not seen reference anywhere else to a Q1 on the S&D but there must be records of this trial somewhere. I would love to know if one possibility considered was use on local passenger services which were eventually taken over by the 4MT 2-6-4 tanks. After all, there is plenty of evidence of the Southern using them for precisely that purpose.

Immediately post nationalisation, there was a weekly SO permanent way materials train from Redbridge to Exmouth Junction which was worked by one of Eastleigh-allocated Q1s (C14-C22 at that period). The return working of empties was on Tuesdays with the loco "resting" over at Exmouth Junction shed on Sundays and Mondays. In practice it was utilised locally on those days, particularly the Monday, and it wasn't unknown for it to work the Templecombe pick-up goods. The loco in the photo is almost certainly being serviced at Templecombe shed before returning to Exmouth Junction in the course of working this duty. These Q1s were slowly renumbered into the 330XX series, with C19 being the first in April 1948, but the earliest renumbered locos would not have initially carried the early BR crest, either having a blank tender or the actual words "BRITISH RAILWAYS". Eventually the Redbridge materials train was extended to Okehampton curtailing Exmouth Junction's abilities to "borrow" a Q1.

I know of no trials of a Q1 on the S&D and suspect that, given the gradients, a trial would have been unlikely. Q1s had little difficulty climbing but, being very light, often experienced problems stopping heavy trains on down grades. It was, in fact, apart from the working described above, very rare to find a Q1 west of Salisbury.

• RMweb Gold

Has anyone mentioned the WD USA tanks that worked on the sidings built alongside Highbridge station and on the Wharf, during WW2? Wartime traffic would probably have had all-sorts traipsing through, but that is a bit of a special era.

Another oddity was the Sentinel steam railcar, which ran between Highbridge and Burnham for a short while. One could resurrect the Berrow branch and run that as a more realistic sized train, albeit a few decades earlier. The 2Ps and Bulleid Pacifics never washed with me, as I lived in Highbridge, at the time the layout was appearing in RM.

Edited by phil_sutters

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

From Alan Hammond's Reminiscences of the S&D there is a reference to two Southern 4-4-0s working the Bridgwater branch. It is in Norman Cook, Passed Fireman's reminiscences. He started work in 1942 and seems to have started working from Bridgwater after about two years at Highbridge. So the SR locos would have worked there after 1944, probably. He refers to them as 304 and 400. 400 was a S11 4-4-0, but 304 was an 0-6-0. So - interesting, but with a query over accuracy. I saw from the listing near the head of this thread that the whole S11 class worked on the S&D during WW2, but hadn't realised that they had ventured down to Bridgy.

Edited by phil_sutters

• 2 years later...