A spoil wagon

colmflanagan

SPOIL WAGON IS A "GO"

Colm has e-mailed me with an inkling of a few dozen sales, if I get this kit done, so I have persuaded my Chap to get it into his mastering schedule. 

First, let me say that there is no intention of doing this as a RTR wagon - of course we'll make up a few to prove it can be done and also for the website etc.

I would find feedback useful on whether or not to include wheels and couplings. The kit WILL have NEM pockets.

Also and obviously, some idea of peoples' requirements in terms of likely purchases, assuming we produce a decent kit! The more offering, the better chance of seeing the kit SOONER!!!!

Have a look at my website, as I could do with a few sales of my current offerings, as I have thousands tied up in stock! This wagon kit will add to my debts!

When, you all ask me?

How do you make God laugh? Tell him your plans!

I hope to have these in quantity by next Bangor, ie April 2014.

Please e-mail me your thoughts and numbers - I can't hold you to them, but some idea would be useful.

NOT PMs please, I'll forget to look here, use - 

lesliemcallister@aol.com

I hope you guys aren't going to let me down - commercially, we'd be better to get on with a CIE wagon kit, which will be next up after the spoil wagon!

Regards and thanks in advance. (And thanks to Colm for encouraging some response for me).

Leslie

What ever you make will sell leslie but as far as the spoil wagon is concerned that may be a limited market as its only certain modellers will be interested in the NIR region and that era ( some modellers may convert when they see the model). I will certainly look at the model when its available. As far as the 21mm thing goes that,s been debated on other sites and i really could not care less as i only know of one person who models that track gauge so i am happy to go with what ever you decide.  

Best of luck.

Regards G.

Spoil wagons never went onto CIE metals... But they did appear very occasionally on the GN main line on ballast wagons, possibly as far as Kilnasaggart.

The modified spoil wagons for ballast duty on NIR were used regularly on the GN section,usually in the hands of DH2.Like jhb,I have no knowledge of them ever crossing the border onto CIE metals.

It's certainly true that the spoil wagons were confined mostly to the Larne-Belfast railway, although as pointed out above, some did venture more widely when in use as infrastructure wagons under NIR.. However, to many of us in the last days of steam in ireland they were an iconic sight - wheer else could you see trains topped and tailed by two 2-6-4 tanks?  Many enthusiasts from across the water (where interest in modelling irish is growing) filmed them - I am hoping this project does well for Leslie,  as i suppose I started the ball rolling a year or two ago! As I'm keen on 20 for Bleach Green, I don;t really fancy cutting al that plasticard strip to do my own version (KIrley knows what it's like.....)

Colm Flanagan

• 4 months later...

Gents

Just to assure you that this project isn't quite dead - 

I met Michael (aka "My Man") at a recent model railway show, where he was specifically hunting for a useful chassis on which to base his kit. He was successful and I have hopes that we will see some progress soon.

The kit should be easy to build, as he plans to do the body as a single casting - so hopefully I will save a few Irish modellers from going crazy cutting and sticking Plasticard!

Naturally, no dates and no promises, but it's a little progress at last - the fact that I have insisted that it be only done as a kit may galvanise Michael into action!

Leslie

• 1 month later...

The project progresses, to the extent that we almost know how many parts will be involved.

Kirley (if he hasn't finished his rake) won't have hundreds of pieces of Plasticard to think of - we are probably looking at about 15-20 parts. Chassis a single cast, fours sides .......

Fingers crossed for the prototype to be at Bangor.

Leslie

Guest CPRAIL3000

I would say when new they where all manufactured the same, but by the time these photos where taken the differences can be clearly seen with a little extra look.

I think NIR made a number of modifications as they were using the wagons for a quite different purpose, but I have no details of exactly what was done and whether each modified wagon was the same.

When made originally they would all have been identical. If you were modelling a train then you could certainly (even in the 1960s) have different degrees of weathering and bashes and dents were common! Huge lumps of earth and stone were dropped into them from tipper lorries at magheramorne.

Colm

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, you guys are right about the differences! Michael and I have debated the issue at some length before taking an executive decision!

Anyway, as I'm only offering you a kit, I'm sure you guys can play around with the parts to suit? Bashing the rims  - they all seemed damaged to some degree - will involve some good work with 4mm scale rocks, dropped from a 4mm scale tipper truck!!!!

Anyway, today's news is - 

"The spoil wagon model that you will get next week is a 'pre-production prototype'. I have made up and fitted all of the supporting struts under the hopper to finish the model on time. I will now go back and master these items for the kit next week at my leisure. I primed the model this morning, will finish paint it tomorrow and get it into the post to you on Tuesday."

I normally don't go for the modern trend of "just in time" supplies, but I have to live with it!!!!

See it at Bangor next weekend! I'll be taking orders, of course!!!!

Leslie

Thank you CPRail for the wonderful photographs! There are not many good photographs around of these wagons in their final condition.

Indeed many of these wagons were modified for ballast work after the second spoil contract was finished. Basically the doors were welded shut, the bottom half of the inner door was cut out and some framing was added to previously unsupported parts of the hopper, etc. To keep the ballast inside a new internal door was fitted with the screw operating handle visible in the door aperture and another one on the far side of the wagon.

I guess there will be a run on Colm's WT tanks to haul Leslie's new wagons. I hope they all sell well!

Archived