A spoil wagon

colmflanagan

Spoiling the Ulstermen?

Can someone tell me how to upload pictures to this site?

Meanwhile, you'll have to look at my website - 

http://www.provincialwagons.com/

to see the latest Irish wagon!

This is the pre-production prototype of my next KIT - the iconic Northern Ireland Railways spoil wagon built in the mid 1960s by Cravens for the Maghermorne Spoil Contract, which ran from 1966 to 1970. They place in history is safe as the last British freight stock to be steam-hauled in regular service. Trains of twenty of these wagons, topped and tailed by Class WT 2-6-4 tanks engines ran around six times a day between Maghermorne and the shore of Belfast Lough. Their legacy is the M2 Motorway running North out of Belfast, which is built on the land reclaimed from the sea by the spoil.

A few of the wagons continued to be used as ballast wagons by NIR for some years after the contract finished.

This wagon will be available as a kit of around 25 parts - the chain is maybe an optional extra, as we have yet to source a suitable chain - but doesn't it set the wagon off? Note that the final kit will have the hopper as a single casting, the door side being another - unlike this prototype (you can see the joins!). 

I hope that you agree that my modeller, Michael Rayner of Smallbrook Studio, has surpassed himself with this superb model - I replied to the e-mail sending the photo to me last night with the single word - "WOW"!

We hope to have the kit available in quantity by June, price still to be set but between £22 and £25. Obviously, I'll be taking orders at Bangor, or by e-mail, of course! 

Leslie

See pictures at the Gallery

"Provincial Wagons' Spoil Wagon".

Hope you like it.

Leslie

Having seen the prototype for the first time in Bangor this weekend, i can say a definite "yes, I do like it". An excellent model and will save me - and many others- cutting an awful lot of plastic strip!  Depending on when deliveries can begin (I know there's still some work to be done) we hope to have a 10 wagon train in time for "Bleach Green"'s next outing in September.

Colm.

• 1 month later...

Having seen the prototype for the first time in Bangor this weekend, i can say a definite "yes, I do like it". An excellent model and will save me - and many others- cutting an awful lot of plastic strip!  Depending on when deliveries can begin (I know there's still some work to be done) we hope to have a 10 wagon train in time for "Bleach Green"'s next outing in September.

Colm.

There's been a double hiccup on this project. 

Robert Drysdale pointed out a fault on the prototype, but as it turned out - not the right "fault - the hopper was too small and didn't have enough "overhang". 

So, Michael set about remodelling it and I understand is nearly there.

Then, he had a mini-stroke! He says he's got over it, but it's sure to slow him up a bit for a while.

So, if you're given to praying, add Michael to your prayer list.

I'll keep the forum informed.

Leslie

• 2 months later...

Calling any 21mm men interested in the PW Spoil Wagon.

Gents (ladies?) 

I have a  customer who wants this wagon in 21mm, which is not as easy with some of my wagons - see Michael Rayner's comments below.

I really need to know about how many of you would plan to buy some of my spoil kits, but for use on proper Irish gauge - ie 21mm - then I can decide whether to absorb the extra cost, or whether it must be passed on to 21mm folk. The existing client only needs about ten - are there others among you?

e-mail me on

lesliemcallister@aol.com

if you are interested.

The "00" kits will be with me next week and will retail at £24 for single wagons - if you want a rake, I'll reduce that as I save on postage - likewise if you want to supply your own whells .......

Thanks

Leslie

Michael's reply to Robert follows - 

"Robert - Leslie has asked me to reply to you direct about the 21mm chassis for the spoil wagon.

All of the wagons that I have made for Leslie, I have made to scale and the only compromise for 00 has been in the chassis casting, which is  a separate casting that inserts in between the sole bars and head stocks, this means that fitting fresh axle boxes to the kit's sole bars should bring them pretty well to 21mm gauge.

To master the chassis I normally utilise an existing commercial 00 chassis and chop it around to get the wheelbase et. al. The problem with this kit is that the chassis is an integral part of the model and your proposal to split and widen the chassis would not work.

But all is not lost! On this chassis  to gain the alignment of the brake gear, the manufacturers have increased the spacing of the axle boxes and added extra to the inside of them for the use of the short 16.5mm axes, this means that 18.5mm gauge should be accommodated quite easily and I think that with a bit of persuasion I could get 21mm.

Obviously it would be easier for me to master a fresh chassis to use the 21mm wheel sets and get it right and cast them, than you try and alter each individually, that is unless you only want one or two.

I would have to charge Leslie for this task as not only would the mastering need to be covered but a fresh mould would be required but the cost would not be large as the new casting would replace the original supplied. 

If you could give us some idea as to the quantity that you would want and, if possible, if any other 21mm gaugers would also be interested it would be of a great help, not only for this kit but also for the next planned - the Bulleid corrugated open which perhaps should be called a 'poubelle' wagon(?) One further point, if I am doing this I should also be able to accommodate your preferred couplings at the same time.

I hope that this has been of some help and I have also sent a copy of this email to Leslie.

Best wishes Michael Rayner"

So, it's up to you guys!

Leslie

• 3 weeks later...

Folks

I'm pleased to say that the first couple of dozen kits landed here today. Colm Flanagan already has ten and is feverishly building, for Cultra!

So, available for pretty well immediate delivery is this kit for a spoil wagon, including all required parts and a generous mini-sheet of waterslide transfers, allowing you to build different number wagons.

£24.50 for a single kit, £117 for a pack of FIVE. Both post free.

{ictures and a little more info on my website

provincialwagons.com

Thank

Leslie

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Every layout should have one!   take one off and stick a "GNR/UTA" brake van on and you have a genuine early version spoil train, as ten wagon trains were run for a while.

Colm

Actually, Kieran, put MY GNR(I) brake van at the back and you have a correct train - photographic evidence available!

Colm is right about the ten wagon trains (with brakevan), but I've just been sent a photo of a FORTY wagon empty train with two tanks at the front - I've challenged Colm to replicate THAT!

Glad to see the kits being put to good use!

Leslie

Archived