Sycamore Creek RR

PeterR

Hi,

I am building my own Garden Railroad, its rto FN3, and is a lazy figure 8 in general plan: I started off with some Baschmann locos and it has progressed from there.

Now I make most of my own rolling stock, but coaches are from kits!

At one end of the garden there is a 'sun shadow' - that space has been utilsed to make a small hamlet, there is not lost of room so it isn't a town!

All is of an approximate timescale of 1880 in Colorado, with the Denver & South Park Railroad - why that - well they had a lots of the American version of the single Fairlie locomotives, which I like: a large one is being madfe at the moment -that is a 2 8 6T.

Meanwhile I am making a couple more buildings for the town, and the reasom dor the railroad, so far it is about 30 buildings or so.

Being retired now there is a lot of time, but as you can guess NOT enough!! Still it keeps me usefully engaged.

I have attached a photo of one of my bridges, with my scratchbuilt Mason Bogie and train on it., the train is also scratch built, beracuse getting equipment is difficult and costly: so irts easier pn my pocket to make it!, besides that way I can hopefully get it right.

Yours Peter.

post-8192-0-30654600-1308767813_thumb.jpg

Nice work! Would like to see more photos, please.............

In the meantime we have on here a "USA & Canadian Railroads Group" for anyone interested in the North American scene, regardless of scale, gauge or skills.

I'll send you an invite.

Best, Pete.

Hi James -

Thats right, but its elastic - the original Bachmann locos are really 1.22.5 - but I can live with that!

You ask for a plan - a very rough one is attached, it has been laterally compressed othrwise it would not fit very well, but basically its correct. The left hand side lawn has a double compound slope to it so the bottom side is higher that the upper part. All that side is quite new and is on top of wall of Celcon blocks, that hold back some raised beds at the back of it - the end is my small scale version of a western Horshoe Curve.

Three bridges, all different, are included and all have bridge clamps so the can be moved - that are aross paths. They are also all different materialsd: the one in the photo is PVC solid foam strips, with square steel tube re-inforcement underneath it and welsing rods for the ternsioms rods - its a wodden Howe truss just under 4 foot long - which is as much as my arms will stretch to from each end to clean the track.

The track is Peco, so its Code 250., and a member of G scale central made the flat 90 degree crossing for me, Peco have not developed the range of their garden raileway track at all really. The Howe Truss has an approach trestle made from cedar - the result of demolishing a 30 year old greenhouse: tjhat make a very good location for photos.

I have just bought a new controller as the old one decided that is was old enough to smoke - it wasn't but it persisted; that was an All Components one: the replacement is a Helmsman. I may get the original repaired.

My scratch built buildings line the back and right hand end of the plan with the depot, and water tank - proper size, NOT a much too small Piko version, and some ancillary buildings between the tracks. Two sidings still need to be laid.

Another is almost complete.

Enjoy.

post-8192-0-92473300-1308826918_thumb.jpg

Hi,

Here is a quite old photio now of some of my buildings with the important one - the depot in the centre, it is what the American call a' combination depot' - that is it includes a goods, or freight section in the main building.

Behind are the first and second buikldings I made the orange boiler shop, which is 3 x 2 foot and it sits over and on a large paving slab: that is made from the plastic corrugated sheet used by estatae agents and such. The depot is made from 5mm thicj PVC solid foam sheet (as used for such as exhibition signs) and also the 2 storey shop. The small 'company house' is made fvrom PVC sheet. All windows are hand made - by me - they are generally the first thing to be made for any building.

That empty square flag on the left hand side is where the water tower sits, the also empty flags on the right now have a section house and other ancillary buildings there.

The black Cooke 2 6 0 Mogul is the first loco I built - it is on a Bachmann 'Big Hauler' chassis.

post-8192-0-64973900-1308828532_thumb.jpg

Archived