Londonderry & Lough Swilly Railway

According the the colourpoint website a new edition of Dr Patterson's book will

soon be in print.

http://www.colourpointbooks.co.uk/more_details.php?id=1945

John

Released 8th December - http://www.colourpointbooks.co.uk/more_details.php?id=1945 - our royalties go to Narrow Gauge Restoration projects

Released 8th December - http://www.colourpointbooks.co.uk/more_details.php?id=1945 - our royalties go to Narrow Gauge Restoration projects

Sorry!! That should, of course, have been 8th NOVEMBER!

• 2 months later...

Dr Patterson's book is available and I'm currently reading it.

Nice to see there are a few comments about the railway still existing as a bus company until the fairly recent closure due to owing a bit of money to the tax man.

• 5 months later...

I’m doing a model of this line in 00 and including as many stations as possible. I attach several photos from Mr Boyd’s book that may interest the thread. Feel free to screenshot them and use them.

I’m doing a model of this line in 00 and including as many stations as possible. I attach several photos from Mr Boyd’s book that may interest the thread. Feel free to screenshot them and use them.

I was lucky enough to find it in my library so I’m afraid I can’t sell it.

post-34709-0-08742400-1532624555_thumb.jpeg

post-34709-0-59506000-1532624608_thumb.jpeg

post-34709-0-58211200-1532624634_thumb.jpeg

• RMweb Premium

I'd thought that Letterkenny could be interesting as you could have a link between the Swilly and Donegal systems, though in practice it was not used very much. LLSR trains were few and far between, the CDRJC had more colour and variety with the railcars.

Dava

I'd thought that Letterkenny could be interesting as you could have a link between the Swilly and Donegal systems, though in practice it was not used very much. LLSR trains were few and far between, the CDRJC had more colour and variety with the railcars.

Dava

I would do that but they aren’t on the same line so you’d nearly need to make tooban too.

To keep the 3ft narrow-gauge proportions, presumably your future models will have to be in 5.5mm/ft scale (or similar) if you're using OO gauge track.

I assumed he was using 12mm gauge in 4m/ft scale. Far too ofteen people mix up scale and gauge, and most tend to refer to OO as a scale rather than a gauge.

As far as I can tell from the flurry of his activity in the last seven days, Mr Doherty is intending to use RTR 4mm stock on 00 track. It isn't clear whether he is actually going to reflect the 3' gauge of the LLSR or is going to imagineer that the line was converted to Irish Standard Gauge and use mainland UK locos in LLSR livery. As he is insistent on steam rather than later diesel, which is reasonably catered for now, I think his choices might be limited to "soft focus" use of Jinties, SR N class and a 2-6-4 tank, although there may be further options of look-alikes I cannot think of, or perhaps using an LNWR coal tank, on the basis that they sent some Soecial Tanks to the Dundalk, Newry and Greenore Railway, and that company needed a passenger loco. I don't think that any of the current narrow gauge RTR is of any use, and the track gauge would be just as wrong.

Right. There seems to have been some confusion as to what I’m going to do. So here it is. I will recreate Carn Fahan and Buncrana/pennyburn in 00 as similar as possible to the original. Rebranded tank engines will form the locos and same for stock. The era will probably be early 30’s

Archived