Battersea Stewarts Lane - London

Shedmaster

That looks the business Dave, well thought out and executed. It's also very realistic from the angles you have photographed 001 from.

Dave would it be possible to know the color you used for the floor.

Richard,

Hi Dave,

What a cracking project.....well envious <_< And Well Done

b0282.gif

Have you thought of building your own lighting.....clearly your proficient at soldering as you've assembled the inspection steps and the doors (which I can't wait to see assembled BTW).

I'd use SMD 1206 LEDS as these are 3mm x 1.5mm (scale 9inches x 41/2 inches).

Either make them individually or better still use some copper clad and etch the circuit on to it. Use the copper clad board to form part of the roof girder structure

Then either knock up a nice etch to make the casing or alternatively craft one from plastic and then use that to cast the rest thus keeping them identical.

Just a thought

Mark

• RMweb Gold

An 8' x 4' of Plasticard could be really quite tough to take home on the bus. The sheer scope of your model continues to dazzle, but the results are more than impressive. Glad you've got your motivation back. Keep going!

That looks the business Dave, well thought out and executed. It's also very realistic from the angles you have photographed 001 from.

Dave would it be possible to know the color you used for the floor.

Richard,

Hi Richard,

The colour I used was 'Tamiya TS-59'.........

post-7088-0-40120500-1299301837_thumb.jpg

post-7088-0-72964100-1299301846_thumb.jpg

It is still too 'clean', I can't wait to weather it down !

Mark, thanks for the tips with the lighting......I will be doing this properly but have not thought how just yet.......so, all help gratefully appreciated.

Oldddudders.......I saw this as being an issue too - and so the company very kindly cut it down for me, although, they stopped short of cutting out the pits, even if I gave the dimensions, due to the wall saw that they use.

Dave

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

Just a brief update on our replica Stewarts Lane Depot.

The floor is now finished !!!

Work is now progressing on fitting the pits properly and making various adjustments before finally gluing the pits and floor in place.

It has taken flaming ages to get this far, but, I want it to be absolutely right.

At the back of the building you will see a central door and a window either side of it. The central door aligns centrally with the yellow lines that run alongside each pit and in doing, the vehicle sides are also in alignment as you look along them. It is details such as this that are important to me and also verify that my original measurements were correct.

My next jobs are wiring the rails together in such a way as to allow for expansion/contraction issues and then I'll be moving onto buffer stops, some weathering and the working doors.

post-7088-0-47326800-1304442759_thumb.jpg

The black things between the rails are the crossing board thingies, which I have spaced according to the anticipated usage, although they are moveable as well !

The workshops are to the left and as soon as the floor is 'signed off', work will progress to the buildings.........

Thats all for now,

Dave

Hi Dave,

The floor is looking good there mate as do the 60's they look very much at home in the shed cant wait to see the finished article but i know i will have to wait. Keep up the good work.

Bruce

Those pit boards are a right ###### to move when you're halfway through a nightshift and just walked into one <_<

This is looking like a very well executed project, can't wait to see it developing into a dirty cluttered mess like spm :)

Hiya,

Yet again, many thanks for the kind and supportive comments, they are definately keeping me going.

Of course, there is a long long way to go yet but I couldn't help sneaking a 60' in for a few pictures............just to check the all important look.....

post-7088-0-70073600-1304606383_thumb.jpg

post-7088-0-01004900-1304606416_thumb.jpg

( I think 'll have to run this one up, just to get the weathering started on the roof !!! )

Oh.........couldn't resist seeing how my Colas 47's looked inside...........still unsure personally...

post-7088-0-61668400-1304606646_thumb.jpg

Regards,

Dave

Pete,

I was planning on soldering a discreet wire from rail end to rail end to feed power and also allow the rails to slide in the varying temperatures, however......

My last hare-brain scheme was to use P4 plastic fishplates and paint them oily black, an idea I have seen to outstanding effect at a recent DEMU show, but I can only use either of these ideas and not both at the same time.

well.........have had to walk away and think on this one.

Dave

Hi Dave,

Your depot is looking cracking. The flooring is very neatly done and everything just looks right. Nice to see a few 60's especially 001. I am looking forward to seeing these working doors come together.

Keep up the good work,

Mark

Hi all,

I'm very pleased with how this is going now. I have started soldering the power jumpers between the rails and 37 109 had the honour of testing that all was well.

I will not be using the idea for P4 fishplates after all as the clearance between the wheel flanges just isn't there, the bolt heads just got sheared off when tested with various wheel types. The layout is to be a working depot for various stock and so it needs to be accessible by all sorts of stuff, this is also why each of the floor crossings by the doors has such a large flangeway.

Porkie........the model is way too clean inside just now, it needs to be a lot darker, dingier and CLUTTERED, however, I'm well chuffed that you appreciate what I'm trying to do here......

post-7088-0-57759700-1304781827_thumb.jpg

post-7088-0-49283400-1304783850_thumb.jpg

Dave

Hiya,

I'm trying to keep this interesting but the truth is there is a lot of mundane checking and re-checking involved in this project.

For example, if you take the nominal 'berthing' position of Clan Line and her Mk2 support coach inside the shed, you'll see that it lines up with certain other things such as girders etc.

When 'berthed', the Mk2 support coach also 'lands' in a certain position too........just level with the office block......

post-7088-0-22606000-1304785480_thumb.jpg

So, on checking our 4mm version, how well have I done ?

post-7088-0-04500200-1304785543_thumb.jpg

( I've just noticed the pit board needs moving to the left........to align with the centre office window ! )

post-7088-0-69989300-1304785560_thumb.jpg

post-7088-0-37606800-1304785578_thumb.jpg

I think it's going fairly well to be honest ;)

Finally, that 37' I was talking about earlier..........

post-7088-0-60412500-1304785590_thumb.jpg

This is a sound fitted Loco. and even without windows it makes a right royal echo inside !!!

Dave

Hi Dave

Love the photo shots with the camera looking down the shed... I

It will look great when you have finished it all...

Keep the photo's coming they all look excellent...

Keep up the good wook...

Jamie

Hi Dave,

Looks pretty good to me from those comparison shots. Those big extractors will be a nice feature to include as well. it really is coming together well.

Thanks,

Mark

Hi Mark,

I've already started researching these extractors, as they are one of the main features...

post-7088-0-81240500-1304893200_thumb.jpg

post-7088-0-39384300-1304893211_thumb.jpg

post-7088-0-06113000-1304893224_thumb.jpg

...along with the various control panels dotted around the place...

post-7088-0-87049800-1304893373_thumb.jpg

post-7088-0-92815900-1304893392_thumb.jpg

The only thing is, they sit in line with the roof windows so I will need to add some framing to mount them.

Dave

This just gets better and better every time I look in, Dave! Your attention to detail is ace.

I really like the floor you've done, I'll be using it as inspiration for Baby Laira, albeit in a less vibrant shade...:laugh:

cheers

jo

Thanks Jo,

Attention to detail is exactly what I'm trying to get right but, this is going to trip me up at some point I suspect !

Anyways......

The 'Research & Development Dept' here at Stew. Lane, have today solved the latest engineering question.....

The 16v DCC power feed will be outside the main doors hidden in the ballast and as each rail will be powered individually, this will be straightforward, but :

"How can I use P4 fishplates accross the rail joins on the pits, and still jump power accross these same rails, without unsightly wires coming up through the pit mouldings inside the sheds?"

I have used yard lengths of rail from the buffer stops towards the doors and then another yard length will go outside via the main doors.

Roads 2 and 3 ( middle & right hand ) will each have a join, No1 road ( stub road ) will be single lengths of rail with no joins, except outside at the points.

This is what I came up with......the 'Power-Pad' !!!

post-7088-0-79074500-1305150595_thumb.jpg

I added a slither of metal etch coated with solder paste, underneath the site of the rail join, added the P4 fishplate and then joined the rails together.

I then heated one rail to melt the hidden solder and got away with NOT destroying the plastic pit moulding.

I checked that this metal had joined securely to the rail bottom, and conducted the current safely and will add the adjoining rails soon, repeating the soldering process.

Voila.......One hidden electrical connection !!! :yahoo:

And yes.........I had to test it properly with the correct tools for the job........

post-7088-0-90232900-1305151145_thumb.jpg

Thats all for now,

Dave

Archived