Diesel Classes that didn't Transition

'CHARD

44 minutes ago, divibandit said:

I wonder if any photos exist of a Clayton and either Class 21 or preferably 29 working in multiple. 

Not what you asked for,  but I found this and thought you might be interested:

https://fft-keymodelworld.b-cdn.net/sites/keymodelworld/files/styles/jumbo/public/inline-images/hmjun_rc_pic 3.jpg?itok=IrlQXdBu

Edited by pH
Autocorrect!!!
  • Like 5

17 hours ago, divibandit said:

Hi everyone,

Great thread.

I seem to have built a collection of green Scottish diesels but I wonder if any photos exist of a Clayton and either Class 21 or preferably 29 working in multiple. 

This is not what you asked for either, but your questioned jogged my memory of one of the few times I have seen diesels working with the nose doors being connected while in use. This is a screen grab of a pair of BRC&W type 2s on the Settle-Carlisle, and comes from Marsden Rail video Vol9 'Leeds'. Sorry about the lack of quality. 

2064517075_Screenshot2021-05-13at13_59_16.png.e67441d4a604b638e39316c0c1c0447f.png

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, jonny777 said:

This is not what you asked for either, but your questioned jogged my memory of one of the few times I have seen diesels working with the nose doors being connected while in use. This is a screen grab of a pair of BRC&W type 2s on the Settle-Carlisle, and comes from Marsden Rail video Vol9 'Leeds'. Sorry about the lack of quality. 

2064517075_Screenshot2021-05-13at13_59_16.png.e67441d4a604b638e39316c0c1c0447f.png

Pairs of Class 22s were running in Cornwall with gangway doors connected as late as 1968, a photo of D6307 + D6339 so connected at Truro on 24/5/68 exists and I recall cabbing D6307 there with D6306 coupled up front and peering into a very uninviting black hole! It is possible the practice continued beyond 1968 although I don't remember 6330 + 6319 being connected when they worked a Cardiff - Penzance train through Truro on 19/6/71.

The 1972 summer timetable saw pairs of newly-arrived Class 25s used on passenger workings west of the Tamar and I've heard claims that some pairs ran with connected gangways (they'd have to both be early body style of course!) but having just left Cornwall at the time I don't know if this is true.........

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, stovepipe said:

Where was that taken? Tebay or Beattock maybe?

I thought the caption would show in the link.  Chard is correct - it’s on Beattock. Here’s the caption:

In this unusual shot, a pair of Clayton’s pilots an EE Type 4 towards Beattock summit with a northbound freight in the 1960s. Exact details of this working are un-available.  (W Verden Anderson/Rail Archive Stephenson.)

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, pH said:

I thought the caption would show in the link.  Chard is correct - it’s on Beattock. Here’s the caption:

In this unusual shot, a pair of Clayton’s pilots an EE Type 4 towards Beattock summit with a northbound freight in the 1960s. Exact details of this working are un-available.  (W Verden Anderson/Rail Archive Stephenson.)

Ah thanks both. There doesn't seem to be a driver in the EE type 4, and the oil slick down the side might be an an indication why.

I was aware that Claytons were used as Shap bankers around 1967/8, but this seems to be from an earlier period.

• 2 months later...
On 13/05/2021 at 16:04, pH said:

I have my doubts, it is very un Beattock like scenery and landforms, and not a location I can place (fairly familiar with travelling between Beattock village and Abington).