Printing a Shay in HOn30

Hi

For the last year or so, I have been working on an HOn30 model of a 13 ton Shay, which should become part of a sugar cane tramway that's based on the Mapleton Tramway in Queensland, Australia. I have been using 3D-printing to model the locomotive and make my designs in Alibre. Below a quick recap of he progress thus far.

As a base, I used an N-scale chassis ...

atlasshays.jpg

... removed some stuff like the pilot steps & lamp and started adding parts printed by Printapart.com, who used a similar printer as is currently used for FUD by Shapeways. So the specs and quality are about the same.

printapartstack.jpg

Shayprogress.jpg

I added some parts to make the model wider ...

v01shay1.jpg

I however did not like the height and width of the cover of the cylinders and the height of the cylinders itself. So added some higher cylinders, made the cylinder cover higher and narrower and hid part of the original cover beneath a toolbox.

shay-cabin-21.jpg

Finally added an oil bunker, which was printed by Shapeways. This will not be part of the Shays that will be running on my sugar can tramway, as these will run on coal. I just designed it, to see how it would look on my Shay

shay-progress-21.jpg

shay-progress-11.jpg

I still need to design the pilot beams and some additional detailing parts.

Cheers,

Jeroen

PS: Part of the wholestick cane truck behind the Shay has also been printed ... it uses an original Minitrains/Roco chassis, with a 3D-printed body and 4 corner posts made of 1×1 mm styrene.

Very impressive Jeroen, I have invesigated Alibre but could not get on with it.. look forward to seeing the completion of the Shay.

Tom

I've downloaded the trial version of Alibre Pro, and sadly I do get on with it rather well (only sadly beacause of the price). I tried 123D and can't get on with that, although the price of that makes me think that I really should persevere with it.

Nice work on the Shay Jeroen, it's very impressive.

That looks great Jeroen! How do you find the quality of FUD? I've got a couple of bits so far (the rest has been on order for a month now!) and find there are still really visible build lines on the parts...

Tom and Pugsley, shame that you don't find Alibre that user friendly. I beginning to think I'm the only person that actually finds it easy to use! :rolleyes:

To the contrary, I find Alibre very easy to use, I've been playing with the trial version recently and am really getting to grips with it now. 123D is the package that I can't get on with, I don't like the whole contextual menu interface. I think I might just have to accept that I'm going to have to pony up the cash for a full version of Alibre.

The one big advantage that 123D has is that it's free, but that's not much use if you can't use it!

I already started using Alibre when it was still a free product, but was forced to buy a lisence about a year ago. Like it very much. Installed 123D a couple of weeks ago, but have not taken the time to get to know it. It looks impressive, but I will probably have to buy a new machine to have running smoothly.

There is also another free product that is very good and easy to learn. It's called Creo Elements/Direct Modeling Personal Edition 3.0 and can be found at: http://www.ptc.com/products/creo-elements-direct/modeling-express/

As for the FUD, yes it does have some lines on it. I however always give the parts a couple of layers of Tamiya primer, which tends to smoothen the surface a bit. I do agree that you still see it from close by, but not if the models are running on a layout.

Cheers,

Jeroen

Archived