French 1960s colour films

Michael Delamar

some really nice archive footage.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xfek7n_sncf-archives-la-raison-du-diesel_tech

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xgivqb_sncf-archives-les-tee-magazine-du-rail-19_tech

Ive only watched these so far, there is probably more, I know very little about French railways but still nice to watch.

Mike

• Like 7

The first one 'La Raison du Diesel' (translates as 'Diesel is right' (ie correct!) is superb. Film shows 060DB (later CC65000), o4oDE (later BB63000), C61000 rod drive 060, Y6200, VH railcar, ABJ railcar. The inclusion of the 040DE is probably deliberate as the film is all about the west coast area and the 040DE were built by Brissoneau & Lotz at Aytré (La Rochelle suburb) which is still a railway works (Alstom). All classes of Diesel and diesel railcar featured are now withdrawn except for a odd example of 040DE and Y6200 in special depot-only use

An excellent find and some interesting material there.

I think these videos may date from the late 'fifties as the CC65000 entered service in 1957, and the TEE network was set up in the same year (when Kraftwerk were still in metallic nappies). Reclassification and renumbering (e.g. from 060.DB to CC65000) took place in 1962, so the material must pre-date this. Incidentally the last examples of the Etat 231.F Pacifics (shown in the first clip) finished in 1965 - unfortunately none survive.

• RMweb Gold

some really nice archive footage.

http://www.dailymoti...-du-diesel_tech

Mike

My how times change - to think that only 30ish years later my journey from Paris to La Rochelle and return was by TGV! Lovely film and nice to see the exterior of La Rochelle station in something other than pouring rain (which seemed to be a special feature of the week I spent there, apart from the last couple of days).

the location at 7min12 in the first film looks very picturesque, and that coal they used for the steam locos doesnt look too good, presumably thats what the brickets were for?

the second film, as I say I know little to nothing about european railways, typical british enthusiast probably.

however I have seen pics of engines and trains over the years and wondered what they where, one was the TEE, doing a little bit of reading up on them, the German one sounds like some of the western diesels, Hymek and Warships.

the TEE trains, and those French diesels in the first clip, do seem to have a really nice stylish look to them

Mike

the TEE trains, and those French diesels in the first clip, do seem to have a really nice stylish look to them

Mike

Well, yes indeed. The French even hired a car stylist, Paul Arzens, to design some of their diesel and electric loco bodies. Having said that, one of my favourite electric locos - 2D2 5538 series (« Femmes enceintes ») appears in the first clip at Poitiers (just before the lineside shot you admired), but this was a pre-Arzens design.

• RMweb Gold

the location at 7min12 in the first film looks very picturesque, and that coal they used for the steam locos doesnt look too good, presumably thats what the brickets were for?

the second film, as I say I know little to nothing about european railways, typical british enthusiast probably.

however I have seen pics of engines and trains over the years and wondered what they where, one was the TEE, doing a little bit of reading up on them, the German one sounds like some of the western diesels, Hymek and Warships.

Mike

The coal is, I think, fairly typically French for that period - a lot of dust plus the well known SNCF briquettes but they seem to have produced decent fires and drivers would still have been on coal saving bonus (plus their daily ration of a litre of wine) back then. I've only now looked at the TEE film which is fascinating for all sorts of reasons including how much of the lineside industry has simply vanished and been left to rot. Fascinating too to se the routes and journey times for TEE as it first appeared in France - odd to feel that I've done most, of the French parts of the routes covered by that film and in many cases in loco hauled trains which in the 1990s were quicker than the TEEs of 40 years earlier but with distinctly grottier standards of catering (but not the massive supplements demanded for long distance TEE trips). So an interesting look at a France of an era I never got to see in some cases, such as Zurich - Paris, on routes I later came to know and use on a number of occasions (by TGV, and still the catering wasn't a patch on the stuff in that filmsad.gif). Thanks for the links.

• RMweb Gold

this is from a british transport film, does anyone know what this french loco is?

Looks like a BB12000 - full details here (in French) http://dictionary.sensagent.com/BB_12000/fr-fr/ the class was the subject of models from a number of manufacturers, here's Jouef one

and here's a Trix one (going slow enough to see) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8i9efhD700&feature=related Basically they suffered from the massive decline of industry in north east France as well as becoming outdated and overtaken by later designs.

• RMweb Gold

thanks Mike.

been wondering about that for a while now.

the commentator on the film said that in France they tried at first with AC motors, then DC with rectifiers on board , I imagine this class is what they tried that experiment out on.

The French link I gave explained several different methods they tried with various locos in the early days of 25kv electrification (presumably the north east area schemes?). SNCF always seemed keen on having two pans on their locos - presumably the idea was that in the event of damage you had a spare ready to hand, however on some of the multi-voltage/system classes one pan is used for one voltage/system and the other for another/others (as per Eurostar); it is quite something to stand at a station where changeover takes place on the move and watch the pan drop as the train comes towards you then the other one raise as the train runs past the neutral section onto the other voltage - I watched a loco doing it at about 75 mph at a Franco-Belgian border station but Eurostar, and TGVs of course, do it at much higher speeds. Mention the idea in this country and people think you're barmymellow.gif

thanks Mike, only recentley I found out the TGV change the voltage on the move, wasnt aware older generation ones did it too.

still learning, its something Ive never really looked at.

some sped up film with footage from the above clips and more.

the french clip in the BTF I think is from a SNCF film but havent seen it yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PODFRkNenOU

Mike

• 9 years later...

Hello. Resurrecting an old topic here. I was wondering if anyone has come across drawings or blueprints of the CC65000 loco? I've asked Google, but its come up with nothing..... Any help appreciated. Thanks, Ken

• RMweb Premium

You will find small scale drawings here

edition                       year    month/edition   page

image.png.f9cbf44a4466dc9139100aa2ddb36147.png

Edit:

sorry the data did not transfer across as cleanly as I had hoped

First line - continental modeller

4th line - Encyclopedia du Material Moteur tome 6

5th line Les portraits de rail (supplement inside Ferrovisime.  

Edited by Andy Hayter