DSP&PRR Mogul number 69

PeterR

Hi,

Here is a photo of my DSP Mogul number 69; this was the first G scale loco that I built, and in fact the first loco I had built anyway, yes I had made many EM gauge wagons and some coaches but not locos.

This was built using the chassis from a Bachmann 'bighauler', with the assistance of the web: with e-mails backwards and forwards to Australia.

The plan came from the December 1998 Model Railroader; I designed the transfers, and as usaul Stan Cedarleaf made them. The loco was the subject of an article in the Annuals that Russ Reienberg publishes in the USA, as David Fletcher also made one, but his was in the later much (rebuilt) condition.

Mine is as built, and fitted with a 'butterfly' snowplow, as a photo that has been reproduced many times, in several books on the Denver & South Park RR. They were very much 'maids of all work', and I think were the first locos painted black, being built in 1884; there was also a 2 8 0 version of them as well, both being built by the Cooke Loco Works. The snowplough itself is made of carefully bent .020 plasticard.

Accucraft have since made a Baldwin 2 8 0 loco, painted as number 51, which is very similar, but in a deep Baldwin green, a colour that they continued to use right through to when they stopped making steam locomotives in 1929.

I wrote a series of articles about this loco that appears on my daughters website for her shop. Those are listed on the left hand side under G Scale Railway, a direct weblink for the loco is

which has all the articles. I have no connection with the shop by the way it is owned and run by my daughter. Enjoy the sequence of the building of this loco.

http://www.musiccorner.co.uk/G-scale-Railway-Locomotives/t110_85/articles.html

Here are 3 photos of it, one showing a Bachmann loco which was the donor loco with it for a size comparison.

post-8192-0-71349800-1308908377_thumb.jpg

post-8192-0-27805000-1308908942_thumb.jpg

post-8192-0-60312300-1308911752_thumb.jpg

Excellent article Peter - a wonderful collection of articles there on your daughters site. I wonder if you could be persuaded to do a 'copy and paste' job and bring them over here directly? Or are they listed/described in full on 'mylargescale'? (not a forum I'm familiar with - I use GSC).

Archived