How good is the Hornby/Dapol (L & Y) 0-4-0 Pug ?

• RMweb Gold

Hi Ray,

Sounds like a possible short in the armature windings.

As the motor warms up then the short gets worse, draws off the power and that causes the motor to slow and eventually to halt. If the loco stops on the section of armature with the short - then you need to prod it to get it to move again.

If it stops on the section without a short this allows the motor to cool and this in turn allows the loco to move again.

There was a straight replacement motor available at one time.

I can't remember who from but it was a straight fit with just the original worm gear to be fitted.

Thanks

That sounds like it may be the problem. I've noticed a fairly noticeable amount of heat build up on a few of the occasions that my pug has stopped. (Placed on the palm of my hand, the pug was warm - something I've never encountered with any of my other pugs). 

I'll have one last tinker with it before I throw in the towel and take it someone who actually knows what they're doing  :lol:

The Dapol/Hornby pug is a secret favourite locomotive of mine. I have four Hornby ones and one Dapol, and they are mechanically identical inside. The video below shows that they can haul some really long trains, but not necessarily at a prototypical speed! I liked the idea of the axle mod to provide a compensated chassis of sorts and think that would really improve their running. On plain track they are nearly faultless, but they have issues over pointwork. Their main problem is that they seem to 'drop' a wheel into the gap in the frog of points, cocking the opposite wheel up in the air in the process.

https://youtu.be/8Z3Dvfw1Y-Y

I'm sure someone will find an example to prove me wrong but I'm not aware that any ever have except in the world of modelling!

Whilst they don't seem to have made it into industrial use, examples did move some way from their original homeground of the North-West. One, 51218, made it all the way to Swansea Docks under its own steam, where it replaced some of the more elderly natives. I believe it travelled via the Central Wales line; I wonder how long that journey took?

I like these, but they're out of my era/location. How many made it into industrial use?

Nine were sold by the LMS to industrial users.  L&Y 19 (LMS 11243) preserved at the Ribble Steam Railway is an ex industrial loco.

The most unusual location was probably for LMS 11245, which was hauled up to the summit of Penmaenmawr Mountain where it served as a spare loco to two diesels on the isolated standard gauge line.

Other locos in LMS and BR service could have been hired out to industrial users when their own locomotives were under repair.

Edited by PGH
  • Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

They were very widely distributed. Just from quickly looking in a couple of books. Liverpool (Bank Hall and Speke), Widnes, Fleetwood, Preston, Sutton Oak, Agecroft, Newton Heath, Salford, Manchester, Crewe, Shrewsbury, Wakefield, Goole, Bristol, Bath, Templecombe and Radstock (Somerset and Dorset), Burton, Derby, Bromsgrove, Bangor, Swansea, Neath, York and Number 19 mentioned above made it to London (United Glass, Charlton).

That's a fair amount of distribution for such a small class.

Jason.

• Like 1

The most unusual location was probably for LMS 11245, which was hauled up to the summit of Penmaenmawr Mountain where it served as a spare loco to two diesels on the isolated standard gauge line.

index.php?app=core&module=attach&section11245.jpg]

That bloke looks like he pulling it up the incline on his own! Edited by Talltim
  • Like 3

Nine were sold by the LMS to industrial users.  L&Y 19 (LMS 11243) preserved at the Ribble Steam Railway is an ex industrial loco.

attachicon.gif11245.jpg

Other locos in LMS and BR service could have been hired out to industrial users when their own locomotives were under repair.

Blooming heck, that looks a tad precarious perched on the two bolsters with only a bit of chain between them! Imagine the size of the safety case paperwork to do that today....

According to Frank Jones' Mainline to Industry the following L&Y Pugs were sold into industry:

11224        A.R. Adams* June 1934  - ICI West Bank Power Station, Widness Weston - disposed 1949

11225        J.F. Wake* in December 1932 - no further info so may have been scrapped

11243        J. Mowlem Southampton Docks contract Sept 1931, afterwards United Glass in 1933 - preserved

11245        that Welsh mountain mentioned above January 1933, afterwards Fisons in Lincoln 1940? and then Widness in 1952 - disposed 1955

11249        Cooke & Nuttall, Horwich in March 1936 - disposed 1947

11251        Robert Frazer*, Hebburn March 1933 - North Wales Granite, Conway 1934 

11255        J.F. Wake* then Pawson Brothers, Woodkirk December 1934 then ROF Chorley 1940 - disposed 1957

11256        Turner Paper, Goole January 1934

11257        Holloway Bros. Littlebrook Power Station contract November 1937 and a later contract at Bush Alfreton.

* second hand loco dealers

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

While I'm on, I mentioned some running problems I was having with one of mine back in July of last year. I thought at the time that stripping it down and putting it back together again had fixed it, but alas although generally improved it was still prone to stalling.

It is now sorted. Watching closely as it came to a sudden and unforeseen halt I realised it was the running gear and offer this cautionary tale:

On examination it appears to have been squeezed slightly during assembly and as a result there's a tendency to throw the front wheelset slightly to the left. Of itself this doesn't appear to be causing problems but at the same time the coupling rod cover extending back from the left hand cylinder had been squeezed inwards and at the best of times was rubbing on the nut attaching the coupling rod to the wheel and sometimes fouling it completely, hence the poor running and sudden stops.

The remedy for both was to gently ease out the rod cover to where it should be and carve away that part of the unseen inner face where it exhibited wear, just to make sure. Since then it has run as sweetly as my first and in fact so smoothly that I can double head them just for giggles.

I'd suspect this one was just a rogue arising from the assembler having a bad day, but its worth looking out for if the motor seems ok on a sticky one.

• 4 years later...

Hi Darren   I have two such Pug that I bought off eBay a couple of years back, and have been considering doing the same for my Pugs, but they run well in DC and I am wondering if it is worth me doing the work and the chances of me stopping them working all together. I have heard comments about using the best Decoder available, meaning not the Hornby type . Happy Modelling Kev 

• 8 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi folks,

Sorry to resurrect an older thread, however I came across it while looking for some advice on the model in question; it's been very helpful.

As an aside, may I suggest that the most unusual location for one that I have found is on the North Sunderland Railway.  LMS 11217 seems to have served on 'goods and fish trains only' in the autumn of 1948 while Y7 8089 was off for repair (Wright, Alan - The North Sunderland Railway, p52).

Regards,

Alex.

• Informative/Useful 2

18 hours ago, Alex TM said:

Hi folks,

Sorry to resurrect an older thread, however I came across it while looking for some advice on the model in question; it's been very helpful.

As an aside, may I suggest that the most unusual location for one that I have found is on the North Sunderland Railway.  LMS 11217 seems to have served on 'goods and fish trains only' in the autumn of 1948 while Y7 8089 was off for repair (Wright, Alan - The North Sunderland Railway, p52).

Regards,

Alex.

Just by way of clarification for those who might not be familiar with it, the North Sunderland Railway had no connection at all with the City of Sunderland, but was a short little line up near Bamburgh on the Northumberland coast. 

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1