Scrap Yard

cactustrain

First, thanks for all the positive feedback. To get such nice comments from people whose modelling I respect means a lot to me. Cheers guys.

There are some excellent entries this year and, win or loose, I have enjoyed taking part. I'm just getting my photos together ready for posting in the summary area. They should be ready today or tomorrow.

I did have a last minute panic after all! Rather stupidly, I left my LEDs on the diorama when I did the static grass and hence blew two up. (I should have observed ESD precautions). At the same time, my Maplin soldering station decided to quit this life (the 2nd of these to have done so in as many years). So I've had to dash around getting a new iron and more LEDs.

I've managed to replace one of the LEDs, but the other is in a spot I don't want to tamper with and so it'll have to remain as a blown item. In real life bulbs fail as well though, so it just makes it more realistic!

Here are the obligatory dimension shots:

post-7246-0-82125000-1317542240.jpg

post-7246-0-85518500-1317542254.jpg

I hope you'll like the shots I have for you - I'm quite excited by them. If you think the diorama is a heap of scrap then I will have suceeded in my task!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Darren,

How long have you got? I use a variety of techniques depending upon what effect I'm trying to achieve. I think it needs an article or two in the model railway press, although I'm not too sure mag editors will be interested in rust and a non working diorama. I suppose that's understandable, as most of us want to relive the glory days.

Plastic modelling mags often have good articles on knocked out tanks and these provided the inspiration for me.

Best wishes,

Michael

• 1 month later...

Superb work, some of the best "model rust" I have ever seen.

I agree about the plastic modelling mags, I occasionally treat myself to the Tamiya magazine and am regularly stunned at the weathering effects achieved on armoured vehicles.

regards

Stewart

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm working flat out at the moment while I have a chance. The Bulleid is in the paintshop and the 4MT is being built. (Although with these kits, there's quite a bit of destruction goes on before any construction starts!).

Here is a peek at the Bulleid. It isn't weathered yet and the decals are yet to be applied.

post-7246-0-17922800-1312911927_thumb.jpg

post-7246-0-97429400-1312912366_thumb.jpg

Some more shots of the 9F. Better ones this time as I got the studio lights out. This still needs weathering and decals as well.

post-7246-0-25412300-1312911945_thumb.jpg

post-7246-0-98442800-1312911963_thumb.jpg

After these 3 locos are finished I'm going to start on the baseboard. I'll need quite a lot of scrap around too, so that should take up a good deal of the time remaining,

Sorry only just found this section, But feel I MUST commend your modelling......simply Stunning weathering, VERY effective.

Regards, Rich.

• 1 month later...

Great work. I used to subscribe to SAMI and other similar titles, the items featured in the US title Finescale Modeller were often stunning, but it got too costly to keep buying it I found sadly due to having to stop working.

I'm planning on turning a few of the old Airfix/Dapol WC/BoBs into scrap locos, but not to the level you've done, as the plan is they'll form part of a train load bound for the scrapyard, so scavenged for spares perhaps, but not as rusty I'd think. Good inspiration here though!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Darren,

How long have you got? I use a variety of techniques depending upon what effect I'm trying to achieve. I think it needs an article or two in the model railway press, although I'm not too sure mag editors will be interested in rust and a non working diorama. I suppose that's understandable, as most of us want to relive the glory days.

Plastic modelling mags often have good articles on knocked out tanks and these provided the inspiration for me.

Best wishes,

Michael

Hi Michael,

I'm sure mag editors would be interested in an article on how you did your rust + weathering....

Just look at all the features you see these days on weathing wagons & locos...

Go on, go for it!

It may be a small diorama,

but there's quality and atmosphere you seldom see elswere,

on any layout big or small, in whatever scale...

I'm sure each of us on the forum would like to see an article anyway :D

Cheers again

Marc

• Like 1

Hi Marc,

I have been asked to write an article on the scrapyard and have got some new photos of it in it's, never seen before, finished condition. There will be a 'How to...' section on rust. My advice is to take out a sub for BRM!

Would anyone be interested in a blow by blow account about how to make a scrapyard loco, perhaps in great detail, spread over several months?

Happy modelling,

Michael

• Like 6

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This is still one of my favourite pieces of modelling ever :)
Looking back at those photos again, even after some considerable time
I'm still taken back to the 1970's
clambering all over the rusting hulks of steam locos
... so atmospheric

Mind you, I'm not still wearing flares and a snorkel jacket ;)

• 7 years later...