Frosted Ultra Detail Issues

Shapeways seems to be experiencing difficulties related to the very high demand for Frosted Ultra Detail. My order placed a month ago today is yet to be delivered, and according to the Shapeways forum FUD models ordered in May may not be posted for another week.I have also read on another forum that as of June 22nd FUD has been suspended until September - see http://www.trainboard.com/grapevine/showthread.php?t=132142&page=14. However FUD is still available as an option on items I've uploaded to Shapeways so I'm not sure how accurate this is.

Does anyone have any further info on what the current status of FUD is?

Paul

They have also introduced a $5 minim per print so will need to group items together. But price per cube reduced.

The only problem with grouping parts together is the limit on the number of faces and the size of the upload. I'm still waiting for parts ordered in may but at least I will get them at the original price. The cheaper price per cm3 is good but most things that are printed in FUD are small detailed parts, someone on the shapeways forum worked out that the part would need to be above $25 to work out cheaper than the old price structure. I think this may upt alot of people off from changing old models or making new ones in FUD, I've drawn and uploaded several models that are now not worth printing with the $5 start up charge. I can see why shapeways have done it- it must be costing them alot of time and money to clean and inspect all the different models and if you have 15 models that cost $25 in total they won't be making any money.

Reading the blog post, it's not very clear whether the $5 startup cost applies to each individual model, or the order overall. And is it a minimum price, or is it added on top of the volume based cost? IE would 10 models priced by volume at $4 each cost

a)10 x $4 = $40 (Great!)

b)10 x $4 + $5 = $45 (OK

c)10 x $5 =50 (hmm)

d)10 x ($4 + $5) = $90 (ouch)

I've posted a comment on the blog and emailed Shapeways support so hopefully it will be clarified.

The thing is, if option (c ) or (d) is the case, there would be an incentive to combine multiple models together to reduce the startup cost or meet the minimum cost, which would actually be inconvenient for Shapeways as it would reduce their ability to arrange individual models on the printer bed for maximum efficiency.

Paul

Great to see FUD is staying and I hope they sort out some of the quality issues I've found with it - build lines still very visible but I've seen some other models which don't seem to show any build lines at all!

Paul, I think the set up charge will be as it is on SWF. This means that the $5 will apply to each file not each model. Therefore if you upload multiple models in a single file you should only get the $5 charge once. Don't quote me on that though but it works for SWF!

Archived