Leon

Good evening everyone, 

Firstly hope you are all well, secondly i'm excited to get on with layout building.

I think this is the track plan I will base the new layout on, I was going for a simple approach of something like just two running lines but this would need a fiddle yard at both ends and two decent length fiddle yards would eat into the room I have, my longest wall is 4.8m, 4.8 meters sounds a lot until you put a train on it. Part of this length will be the curve into a fiddle yard on the other wall.

IMG_4145.JPG

So at the bottom the track work enters through the tunnel from the fiddle yard, There is to be a station on the left to run my coaching stock, Class 158 and mail stock.

The track beyond the station which is the end of the layout will run under a bridge giving the impression the mainline continues. Passenger locos will of course need to uncouple and run around its train and return to the fiddle yard, I know this would be the case in a terminus but not sure if this ever happens on a through station ? Unless I pretend the line continues freight only.

The third length of track from the left will be the freight loop, this is where freight trains come in, the loco can then run around its train and shunt into the 3 or 4 track yard.

The two track towards the bottom are fueling and stable point. The is based on Tidworths track plan. Im not sure how many mainline station have a yard and service point, I will need to research this. 

From what I can see this will give me plenty to play with without having to offload coaching stock or freight stock. 

Any advice, ideas or comments most welcome.

Edited by Leon
  • Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Bit of work on the 1st of the three boards, each board is 2.4m x 800mm. 9mm ply delivered today and cut to fit the top, the 400mm off cut will then be used as the back scene so not to waste any material. 

50AF51A1-52AF-4DE9-8C10-5923FCB8C7E7.jpeg

Edited by Leon
  • Like 2

Leon,

Assuming your new layout is going to be static in the one room, I can recommend building some very simple legs out of planed timber - I used a mix of 34 x 44mm and 44 x 44mm for mine. Straightforward to attach to the underside of the baseboards and you can add horizontal stiffeners where necessary...

Yours,  Mike.

Baseboard_legs.jpg.d0a737f9792296a0c68c1f50305fa842.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 08/11/2020 at 17:19, Leon said:

The two track towards the bottom are fueling and stable point. The is based on Tidworths track plan. Im not sure how many mainline station have a yard and service point, I will need to research this. 

I'm guessing not many Leon, although Buxton had the depot/fuelling alongside the station, but it adds to the interest and operating potential! Good to see you back.

• Agree 3

Good morning all. Fitted the layout leg supports last night. Bit of tweaking then I can lay the cork and track work.

I didn't realise track from the big boys are hard to get at the moment, had to pay a bit extra to get all the points on order. 

There will be a small yard where the HAA wagons are in the 1st picture. A station where the rake of Intercity coaches are in the 2nd picture.

It's fantastic having a well lit temp controlled room, no more climbing up into the attic.

EF9FAF3E-25A3-432A-A1E5-DE5C6615E950.jpeg

9AEA38C5-35A2-46F2-8400-573AA0B9F7C2.jpeg

B1A99479-5B19-46BF-A904-45F3D8CAD2BB.jpeg

Edited by Leon
  • Like 10

1 hour ago, Leon said:

It's fantastic having a well lit temp controlled room, no more climbing up into the attic.

That’s the exact conversation I am currently having, trying to justify boarding the garage out rather than the loft as per our previous house.  

Looking forward to following your fresh start.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Getting on with adding the backboards. I will see how they undercoat first before deciding if they need a paper covering of if I can get away with a light blue coat of paint. This is the Station and yard end so will need a board added on the end also. 

5828F3BE-CF03-4E05-8745-B584E754ECD6.jpeg

Edited by Leon
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium
On 11/11/2020 at 13:46, Temeraire said:

I'm guessing not many Leon, although Buxton had the depot/fuelling alongside the station, but it adds to the interest and operating potential! Good to see you back.

Was looking at Google Maps for something else and came across Rhymney Leon. Platform with runround and sidings. Could develop a 'what if' based on it?

• Thanks 1

First picture showing the freight yard. It will be four tracks in total. A daily Speedlink service will arrive in the morning and depart in the late afternoon. Engineers trains and other freight stock may also stable in the yard. The tracks will have the impression they continue under the motorway.

Second photo shows a class 47 in the station.

Third photo a pair of Trainload Coal 37,s on the stable point.

7B4407C9-7485-474E-8966-551D3A9E5130.jpeg

CE87E05A-D3AC-483A-9FB0-9FEF7A3E2FC6.jpeg

63B8D4FB-1D7A-42AF-80B7-6874D7D39ABE.jpeg

Edited by Leon
  • Like 6

Just thought I would set up a Youtube channel documenting the progress of the layout build, i'm hoping this will be the last build so would like to capture the process. Im no Youtube expert as you can see, maybe over time I can add more bells and whistles....

Edited by Leon
  • Like 6

• 1 month later...
On 21/11/2020 at 22:56, Leon said:

First picture showing the freight yard. It will be four tracks in total. A daily Speedlink service will arrive in the morning and depart in the late afternoon. Engineers trains and other freight stock may also stable in the yard. The tracks will have the impression they continue under the motorway.

Second photo shows a class 47 in the station.

Third photo a pair of Trainload Coal 37,s on the stable point.

7B4407C9-7485-474E-8966-551D3A9E5130.jpeg

CE87E05A-D3AC-483A-9FB0-9FEF7A3E2FC6.jpeg

63B8D4FB-1D7A-42AF-80B7-6874D7D39ABE.jpeg

Very nice Leon ive just weathered two more of these for Colmore TMD take look let me no what you think bud

• 5 months later...

Hello, 

Been a while. Track has been wired up and all signals too. 

Will be updating more.

Picked up a nice Class 121 from Lord & Butler today and a few open wagons for the Speedlink service. 

46BD9769-B4C3-4F1E-8720-28E75EA57588.jpeg

0729E54B-7A46-48BA-B37A-066F5FCB0AA5.jpeg

Edited by Leon
  • Like 5

Thank you David. 

Had a bit of time off due to not having enough time but trying to fit some in. All wired up now and running good which has spurred me on.

spent the evening building up the hill on the layout entrance and  building a few walls. Some new Blue & Grey coaching stock arrived too. 

A6905799-8FE3-445A-8DD6-936ABA65F150.jpeg

2D839614-4CC5-4601-9169-B3923EB41786.jpeg

Edited by Leon
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...