Leon

Thanks Georgie, just frustrating I dont have more time. Your layout it moving at a speedy pace, well done.

Cheers matey! I understand about not much time, im now back at college after being there since 8:30am until 5:00pm I can easily not be bothered to do anything to me layout!! And Congrats matey!! whens the big day?? me parents only just got married back in July 2009!

I like that one Branchie, thanks Jamie the CCTV cams I seen on a Network Southeast layout on here, cant think of the name. There from Ten comandments, cost about ??6.50 for two wall mounted and two on poles, bit fidly to assemble keep getting glue everywhere ! Its June 6th Goergie 2010.

Have any of you guys oiled your loco's yet. Mine were running great until I started painting and using weathering powders now they stutter ! I dont think its the wiring as they ran fine until I sprayed the track work with sleeper grime. I think I need to oil them ?

Cheers

Leon

• Like 1

I like that one Branchie, thanks Jamie the CCTV cams I seen on a Network Southeast layout on here, cant think of the name. There from Ten comandments, cost about ??6.50 for two wall mounted and two on poles, bit fidly to assemble keep getting glue everywhere ! Its June 6th Goergie 2010.

Have any of you guys oiled your loco's yet. Mine were running great until I started painting and using weathering powders now they stutter ! I dont think its the wiring as they ran fine until I sprayed the track work with sleeper grime. I think I need to oil them ?

Cheers

Leon

Hi Leon

You say you have "sprayed the track work with sleeper grime" you will need to clean the track with a track cleaner like the PECO one to take all the paint/dirt of the top of the rail, as its just poor power pickup now because of the weathering of the track you have done, it should run fine after that.

We had the same problems when I weathered the track, if you have point work then only clean the parts the wheels touch and not the rails that just help the wheels go through the Frog on the point work.

Regards JAMIE

Thanks Jamie, I will get some track cleaner. I have used a track rubber and White spirit. The locos are stopping on the point work, I was wondering if there is paint on the side rails that touch the tracks leading to the points ? I hav'nt got any wires with power going to the points - maybe that was a mistake ?

Cheers

Leon

Thanks Jamie, I will get some track cleaner. I have used a track rubber and White spirit. The locos are stopping on the point work, I was wondering if there is paint on the side rails that touch the tracks leading to the points ? I hav'nt got any wires with power going to the points - maybe that was a mistake ?

Cheers

Leon

If locos are stopping on the pointwork, it could be your rails are not making contact when thrown in one direction or the other. Do you have a multimeter you can put across the track to check power?

I dont rely on the rail / wipers on points for making contct and thus supplying power, but use the inbuilt switch on pm 1 point motors and thus dont have a problem (usually) with point rails.

Try cleaning the wipers with a fibre brush pencil if the paint is stuck on them (hoover up fibers before running trains) and a cotton but soaked in ipa.(Isopropyl alcohol)

• Like 1

Thanks Pieman, very helpfull.

Any idea where I can get the fibre brush pencil ? Is Isopropyl alcohol a form of mehtolated spirit ?

Which part of the South Wales mainline do you live ?

Cheers

Leon

last time i baught ipa was in maplins. ??11 for a lt which will probably last me a couple of years! its different from meths, to be honest i wont use anything else now as it does such a good job.

Fibre glass pencil, try Lord and Butler? or e-bay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PCB-Glass-Fibre-Abrasive-Pencil-new-Unused_W0QQitemZ360219863848QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Hand_Tools_Equipment?hash=item53dec6eb28

I live in Skewen and have the Swansea - London line at the bottom of the Garden, though i am a member of Barry + Penarth MRC

• Like 1

Thanks Guy & Jamie,

I did'nt want to putt too much "clutter" near the tracks to try to keep that open, industrial wasteland atmosphere, still need to weather the spoil tips. I got the idea from Newports Alexanda Dock Junction here in S Wales and Bristols Stoke Gifford. In another area I want to try to model disused sidings with just the sleepers left, this will prob be in the space adjacent to the Steelworks to the left of the lorries as you look at the pic.

Thanks for your comments and interest guys.

Leon.

Leon,

Although from the good job you've done,it doesn't look as tho' you need any, but if you want some shots of the buildings at Tremorfa and the Rod Mill I've got quite a few, including some detail shots.

Just let me know, by a PM if you want any.

Now get on with your wedding invitations - you'll need the 'brownie points' once your married !

(I know)

Brian R

Brian, that would be fab, I was going to ask you I see you have some on other threads. I use to have loads as I did my work experiance at ASW over ten years ago. Unfortunatly I have them no more.

My email addy is : mailittomenow@hotmail.co.uk or leonbrown@blackberry.orange.co.uk

I feel its still missing something so pictures would be very helpfull and very kind of you to help, I owe you a beer.

Thanks

Leon.

I did my work experiance at ASW over ten years ago.

I did mine there in 1973, well actually with GKN at the then Castle Works, and we spent part of our time over at Tremorfa.

That was five years before East Moors closed, and steel had to be sourced elsewhere, hence the building of the electric arc furnace at Tremorfa.

As for the pics, I'll sort something out and get back to you.

Brian

Hi Leon

I agree with the other comment about the grass Quote "sprinkle then blow up a balloon, rub on your chest then drift it over the grass and hey presto it all stands up....!" that is a great idea; I??™ll have to give that a go.

Have you tried using "Sand Paper" to represent "Pebbled Dash" on a building or house, then paint it looks and feels like the real thing...

Thanks again

Jamie

Looking really good.

I like the "open" look too and the spoil heaps. If I may make a suggestion - have a think about the back drop before you attach too much to the walls as painting around all those buildings will be a nightmare. It will also help you build "the look". For inspiration, check out layouts like Cement Quay to see how simple it can be whilst remaining incredibly effective.

Thanks Jamie I will try that, I was considering sandpaper for the area's aroung the buildings instead of concrete what you think ?

Chris, Thanks for the suggestion. There more than welcome. I agree, I have been thinking about the background.. The low relif warehouses I have built at the back of the layout are not permanantly fixed yet, what sort of background do you think ? I was thinking just a light grey to represent South Wales weather...lol

All three loco's failed tonight on the layout, my new ish Hornby 56 just sits there with the lights on but nobody is home ? it wont move any ideas (motor)? im using Bachmann DCC, does it need to be reset ? Class 09and 60 dies on the points I think because I have only relied on power to them from the point blades which I think now are grimey with all the spray paint and grass..... There was a wire dropping down from all the points which "was in the way" so I cut them off...! Was that there to send power to the blades maybe ?

Off to drown my sorrows in a can of Strongbow, anyone wanna join me ?

Leon.

• Like 1