Leon

Hi Leon

If it's Concrete you want...then use Textured Paint, just paint it on the building walls and it as bits in it that will give the look and feel of concrete, just not as coarse of sand paper...

Try that...they both look really good, Peter in our model club uses it all the time and looks great.

Regards Jamie

And here are a few more, some stray a bit off the topic, but convey some atmosphere (he hopes)

Brian

Question to Brian

What neck of the woods is this place and I take it you work here...

These are good photos to replicate on a layout in part....

Cheers Jamie

Jamie,.

Leon is right, the photographs were taken in the Celsa (UK) Cardiff plants at (i) Tremorfa, and (ii)Castle Works - Cardiff Rod Mill.

From the top, the photos show

08854 stabled inside the Tremorfa 16inch billet bank

North end of Tremorfa stock bay

East side of Cardiff Rod Mill

East side of Cardiff Rod Mill

Tremorfa ???A????? warehouse ????? south end.

Tremorfa Electric Arc Furnace building

08951 shunting the Tremorfa (new) scrap bay

08466 shunting the Cardiff Rod Mill coil warehouse

08466 shunting wire coil past the Cardiff Rod Mill spooler building

08782 shunting hot billets into the Cardiff Rod Mill billet warehouse

Tremorfa wagon repair shop.

This shot shows 08466 being removed, by road, for repair

Brian

post-1599-1263537569061_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Thanks Brian for the pics there priceless. Like the one of the coil warehouse showing four different shades were I assume extensions/repairs have been made. I also never knew there was CCTV there which I had added to mine. Plenty of detail to add in the future.

Thanks again

Leon

Leon,

I'm on a roll now .......

So just a couple more (humour me, please ?)

The shots blow show the following;

(i) Taken from Seawall Road looking west (Willows High School is to the right) we're looking at part of the original Electric Arc Furnace (EAF) building and pipework that lead to what our American friends would call the 'bag house' where dust and impurities extracted from the steel making process are collected, for disposal. The lower building in front of the EAF is the (original/old) scrap bay. This view was taken 20yrs ago and would be impossible today due to trees having grown along the fence line.

Those who saw the recent Christmas Special of 'Doctor Who' where The Doctor and The Master fought it out on 'the wasteland' may find this area familiar, as part of the confrontation was apparently filmed inside the now redundant EAF building.

(ii) Shows how little clearance there is between trains and the east side of the (Castle Works) Rod Mill.

(iii) A view inside the (Castle Works) Rod Mill, Coil Warehouse - an idea of the size can be gained by the number of SEA/SPA wagons inside.

(iv) A 1995 aerial view of the Tremorfa Steelworks, and to the left (west) Tidal Sidings. The blue buildings would contain the 15" / 16" and Bar & Section Mills. To their right the lower, grey roofed building was the one time nail works, the new (Celsa UK) EAF or 'melt shop' is built on the former nail works and sidings which were known as 'The Prairie'.

Brian

post-1599-12636740794369_thumb.jpg

post-1599-12636740964511_thumb.jpg

post-1599-12636741368867_thumb.jpg

post-1599-12636741613988_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

As Progess goes on albeit slow the yard starts to become busier, pic 1,2&3 - Pristine ex works Rfd 37406 (so new not even any pipes fitted !) arrives with a short enterprise service from Newport, pic 4 - Is the new, old dissused water tower still to be finished.

post-5554-12639824905703_thumb.jpg

post-5554-12639825337343_thumb.jpg

post-5554-12639825745487_thumb.jpg

post-5554-12639826181922_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Mate, I really love the EWS 66, just looks power ! I Was looking at one yesterday in the shop, but...it goes against all my rules..I dont wont anything EWS... I like the railfreight and sector liveries too much lol. I think one day though I will give in and get one.... Was toying with the idea of a 59 from ARC or Foster Yeoman as they did work on the odd Iron Ore train from Port Talbot - Llanwern and also to Machen Quarry I believe... I thinks a GM 59 is as close to a GM 66 as I can get...... !

Your shed is looking great, was you going to cover it in anything ? I have piles of corrigated plastic from work I used to build my buildings with, there old sale signs and once you spray paint them they look good, or so I think.

Cheers

Leon.

Its still an intrestiing livery is Railfreight I like how there all same colour triple grey, but there are different logos like coal sector and railfreight etc...

Class 59s would fit fantastic with your time setting matey, if your having no EWS but then go and get a EWS 66, it could look a little out of place with all the grey locos biggrin.gif

Ya the shed has got tonnes of work to be done on it I got some corrigated stuff coming through post and things like H colums and angle colums too, but im not feeling too good today, day off from college for me sad.gif

Evening all,

Done some bits in the atic over the weekend but mostly on the baseboards and electrics, not the layout itself (No more money til payday)

Hoping to make a start on the last piece of the layout which is the depot area this week, the track has been laid and wired for sometime now but no ballast.

Still got problems with the lectrics. Never wired any power to the 13 points so everytime a train passes over one it stops as I guess there is paint on the blades, what can I do now as there all fixed and ballasted. (Boo Boo)

I have attached a rough track plan and a pic of the man himself for anybody who is interested.

One more glass of wine then bed, Goodnight all.

post-5554-12643758353695_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Morning all, got a little bit more done on the steelworks yesterday. Here are some pictures.

Pic 1 Steelworks with new extension on right, pic 2,3 New extension in place, Pic 4,5 & 6 Steelwork close up.

Pic7 & 8 old redundant sidings.

post-5554-1264665245274_thumb.jpg

post-5554-1264665353984_thumb.jpg

post-5554-12646653992838_thumb.jpg

post-5554-12646654862711_thumb.jpg

post-5554-12646655479966_thumb.jpg

post-5554-12646655754517_thumb.jpg

post-5554-12646656506219_thumb.jpg

post-5554-12646656957082_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Hey Leon,

Cracking piccies matey! Your steel works is really impressive stuff, where did you get the roof detail bits from??

Your sidings look real disused with missing track, but its how they haave them these days biggrin.gif

Cant wait to see your MPD, Going by your steel works building you will make a cracking job of it!!

Cheers

George

Thanks grimley, james and my mate George. By the way I posted those signs, bit late I know sorry. Hope you still have a use for them.

The bits on the roof. Fans I reluctantly had to buy from pikestuff in the US as I couldn't make them. The pipes are copied from Tremorfa steel works, I just seen some upvc pipe laying around in work. primed itm then sponged on some rust paint and added porwders. Came out really well.

Had enough in the atic now been there all day and think I have o'd.

George I still fancy that 66 in the yard...the mpd may now be scaled down to just a stable\fuel point as I'm fed up of buildings.lol

Grimley, I'm going to get another 56 then renumber and rename to British Steel Llanwern. Any ideas how to remove the County of South Glam transfer that's in there ?

Got some more pics, can't uploaded via blackberry sorry.

Regads

Leon.

What materials have you used for the buildings of the steels works?

Apologies if it's already mentioned some where else.

Lukasz

Hi Luka,

I came across these sale signs on lamposts. They look corrigated and are so easy to cut with a stanley. Just prime them and spay.

Have a look around you local DFS store for sale signs attached to the lamposts. Then hope they fall off into your boot.

Cheers

Leon