Leon

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Guys,

Not been up to the layout for a long time now, still keep an eye on the layouts on here mind you, some good ones going on. Seen a great little one "The Sidings".

Hi Leon,

Sorry to hear that - hope your interest in it returns soon.  You've done too well to let it gather dust!

All the best

Rich

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello all, hope everyone is well?

Found a bit of mojo and ordered a sound chip for the Class 60, If it get back into it I will be sounding the whole fleet this year......

Having a bit of difficulty fitting the extra bass speaker into the shell and ended up removing the plastic under the exhaust unit, the exhaust then seems to hide the "hole" so far but still need a few millimetres as the one end just will not clip in...Frustrating...

Great to hear the sound of the Legoman, been driving the wife mad all weekend revving the engine and blowing the horn around the dining table.....

Will get a video up soon once its booked in for a steel working out of the yard........

post-5554-0-11414900-1466425228.jpg

post-5554-0-20322700-1466425236.jpg

• Like 7

Hi all,

Nothing too exciting at the moment, new rolling road arrived yesterday which will now allow me to run all of the locomotives in which will hopefully improve performance on the layout hopefully resulting in me enjoying it more. EWS 66 gets a run out along with RFD 37 and Intercity 47 "Titan". Not a bad bit of kit for £40. The plan is to set it up on a permanent bit of dedicated track, currently its set up in the fiddle yard. 

post-5554-0-71682700-1466671265.jpg

Edited by Leon
  • Like 4

Hi Leon,

Looks like I've handed the mojo baton over to you, nice to see you back.  I've been thinking of a rolling road for sometime, where did yo get yours from?

Hi Scott,

I bought them through Wickness Models, very fast delivery. Good price compared to what you could pay from other manufacturers. I have never run any of the trains in and when they start stalling that's when I lost interest so hopefully a well working fleet will keep me going.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi Leon,

Nice to see your getting back into things.  Its the same with all of us, mojo comes and goes - especially when work gets in the way!  

Any progress on the layout?  I've an O Gauge Class 60 sat here (shortly to be joined by another) and can't wait to get a DCC sound decoder into them!

Rich

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi guys,

Has anyone had any experience with Heljan class 47's? I have a 2nd hand one that does not even want to run on the rolling road, I have changed the 8pin chip just in case. Looking at the wheels they don't seem as shiny as the Bachmanns I run so maybe in need of a good clean or are they just not a very good runner ? I would love to get it running as its my only Rfd loco I have that's needed on my daily Speedlink service.

Thanks guys.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Leon

Does it run at all or does the motor run but the wheels not? If it is an old one with the brass wheels they do need a good scrub to get them shiny to give good running. I have 9x47, and 10x33 that all run perfectly as long as the wheels are clean. Can you check it on dc without a chip first to eliminate that as a cause? Also it its an early Hornby chip R8249 (I think) then the current draw is too high for the chip and it cuts out, guess how I know!

• RMweb Gold

Hi Leon,

Nice to see this thread active again! Your layout remains very inspirational, and I keep going back through the images looking for ideas!  Have you made any further progress, or has it just been running trains lately?  You need to prove your camera still works and post some pics ;) lol

Rich

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi guys,

Has anyone had any experience with Heljan class 47's? I have a 2nd hand one that does not even want to run on the rolling road, I have changed the 8pin chip just in case. Looking at the wheels they don't seem as shiny as the Bachmanns I run so maybe in need of a good clean or are they just not a very good runner ? I would love to get it running as its my only Rfd loco I have that's needed on my daily Speedlink service.

Thanks guys.

Yes. Take a look at Howes Models Heljan 6-axle loco wheelset pack My two locos run a lot better since I replaced the wheelsets.

However

• In my opinion these ought to be free, as it's not your fault that Heljan screwed up
  • Shame they're out of stock

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi everyone,

Wishing all a Happy New year, Would like to thank everyone for the support and advice given .Enjoy the hobby in 2017.

Thanks again all.

Hi everyone,

Wishing all a Happy New year, Would like to thank everyone for the support and advice given .Enjoy the hobby in 2017.

Thanks again all.

Hi Leon,

Are you still modelling or progressing South Wales Freight at all? Love the layout and frequently come back and review the pictures for thoughts and inspiration! Hoping your still moving on with it as time and money allow. There are lots of good layouts on rmWeb, but South Wales Freight and Balbeggie Sidings are two of the highlights for me!

Rich

• Like 2

Many thanks Rich.

No progress unfortunately due to time and motivation, going to have a clean up of the attic soon when Christmas decs go into storage so hopefully get back on it then, there are a few bits I want to buy and still got a few loco projects started but not completed.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks Rich.

No progress unfortunately due to time and motivation, going to have a clean up of the attic soon when Christmas decs go into storage so hopefully get back on it then, there are a few bits I want to buy and still got a few loco projects started but not completed.

Hi Leon,

Yes both time and motivation can be issues, especially when it's a one-man operation. Glad to hear that you've kept your interest in the layout tho, and look forward to the updates - what are the loco projects you've got started?

Rich

Hi Leon,

Yes both time and motivation can be issues, especially when it's a one-man operation. Glad to hear that you've kept your interest in the layout tho, and look forward to the updates - what are the loco projects you've got started?

Rich

Hi Rich,

I have a Metals Thornaby class 37 I'm changing to a Canton 37/7 "Tremorfa Steelworks" also a Mainline livery 09 repainted into a Rail Blue, just need to add the decals and weather down a bit. Also a Mainline livery class 60 I'm desperate to get into a sector livery.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Leon,

Oh nice choice - 37711 if I remember correctly?  Couple of nice relivery projects to keep you going there Leon.  Nice to see SWF back on the board again, looking forward to some photos.  Its the period I knew growing up as a kid, albeit not in South Wales, but coming from a steelworks town, I well remember the the metals traffic!  Plus SWF has been a big inspiration for my new O gauge layout .. which I'm hoping to get a thread started on in a few weeks time ... so I was really pleased to hear your interest was still there.

Keep going Leon, you've a nice layout with nice stock there.

Rich

Hi Leon

I cant believe this is yet another superb layout I've totally over looked. This is right up my street as, like my layout, its centred around heavy freight workings. I shall enjoy having a read through the thread over the next few days so be warned there could be quite a few notifications coming your way. From what I've seen so far its certainly very inspirational and there is some excellent modelling.

Cheers

Marcus

• Like 1

Thanks Simon, I agree I do need to mix it up a bit. Thanks Grimley I do like the Sector livery but they are grey, a splash of colour is nice either EWS or the older Rail Blue. Not got any steel wagons yet, only got about 6 wagons in total. I was looking at the Railfreight BDA's for if and when I have any spare cash. Thanks Georgie, the 66 is a great model I see now why you like them (maybe one more)lol, the 37 is shown earlier it 37201 in Trainload Matals livery. ViTrains from Hattons.

James, Thanks, I did get Mini-Natur that you reccomended sometime ago, I used the Autum tufts I believe, maybe need some more. I also bought a roll of the grass mat which is very green. I have also used the Noch static grass, shows up better in some of the earlier pics. Maybe I need to run a balloon over it again. I will get somemore and mix it in a bit I think. I did buy some Humbrol Matt Varnish instead of the hairspray ?

I have picked up a hanging basket liner ready to use as a number of people have recommended, Cramdin Yard use them to great effect.

My Fiancee is already anoyed at me taking her tweezers into the atic do I dar'nt risk her hairspray..lol

Cheers all

Leon

Had to respond to this one Leon. Reading the last paragraph I'm glad I'm not the only one who ends up in the dog house for exactly the same reason. Only tonight I sneaked the hair spray out the bathroom whilst she wasn't looking. :D

• Like 2

Well I  have looked through the entire thread and I have to say this is a truly brilliant layout. You have captured the gloomy industrialised South Wales atmosphere superbly. Having visited Cardiff Celsa a few times whilst doing my freight train handling, when I moved to GBRf a few years ago, you have captured the general run down and unkempt look superbly.

Also love your fleet of loco's especially all those sector 37's and 60s. The Class 37 being a particular favourite. I noticed reading through your thread your mojos dipped a few times. I think we all suffer from that from time to time. I really hope you continue with this layout because you should be very proud of what you have achieved so far. Also I wouldn't want to be deprived of seeing more wonderful photo's

Looking forward to seeing more updates

All the best

Cheers

Marcus

Hi Leon,

Oh nice choice - 37711 if I remember correctly?  Couple of nice relivery projects to keep you going there Leon.  Nice to see SWF back on the board again, looking forward to some photos.  Its the period I knew growing up as a kid, albeit not in South Wales, but coming from a steelworks town, I well remember the the metals traffic!  Plus SWF has been a big inspiration for my new O gauge layout .. which I'm hoping to get a thread started on in a few weeks time ... so I was really pleased to hear your interest was still there.

Keep going Leon, you've a nice layout with nice stock there.

Rich

Morning Rich,

yes that's the one, I just found the post when I started it back in Jan 2015 ! Post 1238, Hmmmm been a while.

Thanks for the support