Leon

• RMweb Gold

Hi Leon,

Only my opinion, but after your yard area and the flexibility you had for running into the yard, through the yard, into the depot, the wagon works etc.. I think you might find the single track a bit restricted in terms of operation. 

A couple of things to consider:

a) I personally think the double track would be the better option, for both looks and operating, but I do like main line layouts so I could be biased!

b) I agree with JDW about the facing points usually being avoided, but I there is usually a real life example of everything somewhere, and I don't think there is much you can do about that one.

c) I also think the idea of a single track at one end could work, although if your sticking to reality, that would complicate your pointwork somewhat, but its very much your personal preference at the end of the day.

Rich

• Like 1

HI Guys,

Thanks a lot for your idea's, everyone is a good point, i have just purchased track, points etc for just the single line now, I felt it would keep the cost down, be a lot more simply and hopefully most important a lot quicker to set up and get trains running.

Also I thought most coal loading sites such as some in the Welsh valleys are off single branch lines and this also avoids that facing point issues mentioned. As its mostly just me I don't think I would be running two trains at the same time so single track hopefully will be ok. I'm keeping the stabling point also so a bit of variety there if i get bored.

Never used Electrofrog points or point motors so I'm sure there will more questions from me soon....

A note about the coal loading facility,I have decided not to have a run round loop, I am going to have a head shunt Trains from 1 direction will reverse the train back onto the loading pad, trains from the opposite direction if necessary will pull onto the loading pad then reverse into a head shunt where a shunter will be, the loco will then pull forward clear of the train and wait just near the mainline, then the shunter will push the wagons up onto the loading pad, return to the headshunt tho allow the locomotive to couple back up facing the exit....I think this will add a bit more interest than running around its train, also a good use for my 08 & 09...

Thanks again guys

• Like 1

WOW Leon, what a shocker, still if your not happy as I wasn't with my last couple of projects, it has to go, hence my Kingsley Road.

It's given you good service and enjoyment, and hopefully the next project will do the same.

Will you be starting a new Thread / Name?

All the best, and I'll be watching with interest.

Andy.

Hi Andy, 

I'm going to keep it on this thread, Still be based on South Wales freight, I can also look back at what I did have... 

Kind regards

Leon

• Like 1

It would be double track every time for me, Leon. Twice the fun.  :sungum:  :sungum: If you want to get started quickly, you could always start with just the one track, but laid so that you can add a second later.

I'd also go for electrofrog points for smooth running. Less of a problem with large diesesels these days perhaps, but still worth it.

Cheers

Dave

Edited by Waverley West
  • Like 2

Hi all,

Sorry to bombard you all with questions.

As some of you know I have removed the yard to simplify the layout. Would anyone be able to point out where I can put colour light signals ?

I would like one in the cutting at the top somewhere to give me the opportunity stop trains, I was thinking it would be for trains heading towards the depot that would have to stop to allow locos to enter and leave the depot ? Also what would control the exit of the coal loading site?

Many thanks for your help.

Regards

Leon

post-5554-0-57401200-1495017940_thumb.jpg

Edited by Leon

• RMweb Gold

Would anyone be able to point out where I can put colour light signals ?

I would like one in the cutting at the top somewhere to give me the opportunity stop trains, I was thinking it would be for trains heading towards the depot that would have to stop to allow locos to enter and leave the depot ? Also what would control the exit of the coal loading site?

Many thanks for your help.

Regards

Leon

Hi Leon,

As ever this is one of those questions that depends on how some things work!  I'm assuming your planning on using three aspect colour lights - I've drawn the signals on your plan, but there's a couple of assumptions made:

a) the area is track circuited, and controlled from either a powerbox or a local signal box has control over the full area.

b) that the access into the headshunt and two sidings at the Coal Loading Site are controlled from a ground frame within the terminal, in which case there would be no signals.  If they were controlled from the local signalbox/powerbox, then there would need to be ground signals, which I've not shown.

c) obviously the white 'feathers' on the top left signal just before the Coal Loading Site branch  only light when the route is set into the coal terminal.  I've also assumed that there is a length of track between the main line and the headshunt point.  If that is just a plain crossover then the signalling will need changing, as the assumption for (b) goes out the window!

d) Same goes with the Depot. I've assumed the depot connection to the main is not just a straight two point crossover, but has a length of track (i.e. minimum loco length) between them.  If Im right, then the signal is correctly positioned and where GPS is marked can be ignored.  If I'm wrong, and it is just a straight two point crossover, then I *believe* but will stand corrected, that the exit signal wouldn't be a three aspect but would instead be a ground position shunt light positioned where the GPS is on the map, and in this case would likely be a yellow version - see further details below.  

There would also potentially be a STOP board for locos coming off the depot, before the point where I've marked GPS - the board saying 'STOP - Contact signalman before proceeding' or words to that effect.  Basically they are calling to ensure there are no movements signalled off the main line into the depot headshunt, and so that the signaller is fully aware of what movements are taking place.

Hope that helps and hasn't confused you.  Its your layout, so obviously you can signal it how you wish, but that would *I believe* be the right way - I'm no expert, but thats my understanding of things!

Rich

PS - I'm not sure what your signalling background is, so apologies if I'm telling you something you already know here, but its useful to know the background and differences.  With a Three aspect colour light, if the light is red its obviously stop, if yellow, it is informing the driver that the line is totally clear to the next signal, which will either be a red or yellow.  With green, the same applies, but that the next signal is a yellow or green.

Ground position shunt (GPS) signals are different - they normally show a red light and white light horizontally (like this one) which represents a STOP signal, same as a red aspect.  When cleared, they become two white lights at 45 degrees.  That is a proceed aspect to the driver, to say you may pass this signal, but the line may not be clear to the next signal or stop board and hence you should be prepared to stop.  

There is a further version of the GPS signals which has a horizontal yellow and white light, which again gives two white aspects at 45 degrees when cleared.  This version when showing yellow and white *COULD* be used where GPS is marked on the depot plan, in which case it would tell drivers, when one yellow and one white (i.e. 'ON') the signal CAN be passed for the purpose of shunt movements into the depot, but to exit on to the main line should be treated as a STOP signal and not passed.  When the route is set for the main line, the signal would come 'OFF' in the normal way by displaying two white lights.

If your still with me at this point and not totally confused, your probably asking why use that at the exit from the depot headshunt rather than a two or three aspect signal with a feather for the main line?  The reason being that movements onto the depot can be undertaken as often as required without interaction from the signaller, with a colour light that has a feather, every move has to be individually signalled, added to which there would then need to be a stop board before actually entering the depot, but we're getting complicated at that point.

post-16721-0-71197700-1495063594_thumb.jpg

Edited by MarshLane

Morning Leon, I haven't checked back through but can you have it so the Fiddle Yard acts as a Loading Plant, so that Empty Trains go in and Full come out, and like wise on the other side so that the Full depart to the F/Y and Empties return, i.e. 2 Complete Rakes?

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 2

Morning Leon, I haven't checked back through but can you have it so the Fiddle Yard acts as a Loading Plant, so that Empty Trains go in and Full come out, and like wise on the other side so that the Full depart to the F/Y and Empties return, i.e. 2 Complete Rakes?

Hi Andrew,

Good idea, I was thinking about that but I wanted the coal to be loaded via digger not some form of conveyor or chute.

• Like 1

Hi Leon,

As ever this is one of those questions that depends on how some things work!  I'm assuming your planning on using three aspect colour lights - I've drawn the signals on your plan, but there's a couple of assumptions made:

a) the area is track circuited, and controlled from either a powerbox or a local signal box has control over the full area.

b) that the access into the headshunt and two sidings at the Coal Loading Site are controlled from a ground frame within the terminal, in which case there would be no signals.  If they were controlled from the local signalbox/powerbox, then there would need to be ground signals, which I've not shown.

c) obviously the white 'feathers' on the top left signal just before the Coal Loading Site branch  only light when the route is set into the coal terminal.  I've also assumed that there is a length of track between the main line and the headshunt point.  If that is just a plain crossover then the signalling will need changing, as the assumption for (b) goes out the window!

d) Same goes with the Depot. I've assumed the depot connection to the main is not just a straight two point crossover, but has a length of track (i.e. minimum loco length) between them.  If Im right, then the signal is correctly positioned and where GPS is marked can be ignored.  If I'm wrong, and it is just a straight two point crossover, then I *believe* but will stand corrected, that the exit signal wouldn't be a three aspect but would instead be a ground position shunt light positioned where the GPS is on the map, and in this case would likely be a yellow version - see further details below.  

There would also potentially be a STOP board for locos coming off the depot, before the point where I've marked GPS - the board saying 'STOP - Contact signalman before proceeding' or words to that effect.  Basically they are calling to ensure there are no movements signalled off the main line into the depot headshunt, and so that the signaller is fully aware of what movements are taking place.

Hope that helps and hasn't confused you.  Its your layout, so obviously you can signal it how you wish, but that would *I believe* be the right way - I'm no expert, but thats my understanding of things!

Rich

PS - I'm not sure what your signalling background is, so apologies if I'm telling you something you already know here, but its useful to know the background and differences.  With a Three aspect colour light, if the light is red its obviously stop, if yellow, it is informing the driver that the line is totally clear to the next signal, which will either be a red or yellow.  With green, the same applies, but that the next signal is a yellow or green.

Ground position shunt (GPS) signals are different - they normally show a red light and white light horizontally (like this one) which represents a STOP signal, same as a red aspect.  When cleared, they become two white lights at 45 degrees.  That is a proceed aspect to the driver, to say you may pass this signal, but the line may not be clear to the next signal or stop board and hence you should be prepared to stop.  

There is a further version of the GPS signals which has a horizontal yellow and white light, which again gives two white aspects at 45 degrees when cleared.  This version when showing yellow and white *COULD* be used where GPS is marked on the depot plan, in which case it would tell drivers, when one yellow and one white (i.e. 'ON') the signal CAN be passed for the purpose of shunt movements into the depot, but to exit on to the main line should be treated as a STOP signal and not passed.  When the route is set for the main line, the signal would come 'OFF' in the normal way by displaying two white lights.

If your still with me at this point and not totally confused, your probably asking why use that at the exit from the depot headshunt rather than a two or three aspect signal with a feather for the main line?  The reason being that movements onto the depot can be undertaken as often as required without interaction from the signaller, with a colour light that has a feather, every move has to be individually signalled, added to which there would then need to be a stop board before actually entering the depot, but we're getting complicated at that point.

Hello Rich,

This is fantastic, thank you for taking he time to explain and update the layout plan, this is extremely useful to me.

Yes I was thinking 2 or 3 aspect, does it matter which ?

Re the coal loading point, I did want it ground frame operated by a shunter/traincrew and have ground signals but from what you are saying it seems I cant have both ?

Yes there are lengths of track before joining the branch line from the coal and depot area's for the locomotive to sit on.

Thanks again, I had no previous knowledge of signals other than the online research I have been doing however everything has fallen into place as you have explained it perfectly, once again thank you for the great way you have put this across. I'm looking forward to adding signals now. On the last layout I did not get around to this so this time I want to add them nice and early...

Fab - Thank you.

Can anyone recommend Berko or Traintronics for signals?  The feather type I only found from Traintronics.

Edited by Leon

• RMweb Gold

Hello Rich,

This is fantastic, thank you for taking he time to explain and update the layout plan, this is extremely useful to me.

Yes I was thinking 2 or 3 aspect, does it matter which ?

Re the coal loading point, I did want it ground frame operated by a shunter/traincrew and have ground signals but from what you are saying it seems I cant have both ?

Yes there are lengths of track before joining the branch line from the coal and depot area's for the locomotive to sit on.

Thanks again, I had no previous knowledge of signals other than the online research I have been doing however everything has fallen into place as you have explained it perfectly, once again thank you for the great way you have put this across. I'm looking forward to adding signals now. On the last layout I did not get around to this so this time I want to add them nice and early...

Fab - Thank you.

Can anyone recommend Berko or Traintronics for signals?  The feather type I only found from Traintronics.

Hi Leon,

Your welcome, happy to help!

No two or three aspect doesn't matter.  Obviously if your using two aspect, they'll all be red and green.  In a normal circumstance, two aspect would likely be used back in the 1980s as straight replacements for semaphores, under local control, in which case there might have been a yellow/green distant as well, but the distances you have that couldn't be replicated.  So thinking about it from a realistic point of view three aspect is probably more likely, but either would be fine.

Re: Loading point.  There are always exceptions to the rule, but generally ground frames don't control ground signals.  You have to put yourself in the position of the guys on the ground.  There is likely to be a driver and shunter (probably a secondment too in the early-mid 1980s).  So the shunter is in control of all movements, now if you have signals controlled from the local SB or powerbox, then the shunter is liaising with the loading point staff and the signaller, which provides added complications - the big aspect of all movements on the BIG railway is as simple as possible, and clear lines of communication, less chance for things to go wrong.

So therefore, if the points in the loading point are controlled from the ground frame by the shunter, it takes the signaller out of the equation.  Once the train has arrived and is clear of the main line track circuits, the points are put back and he can forget about the train until he gets a call requesting departure.  Meanwhile, the shunter liaises with the loading point staff over what is needed to load the train, directs the driver verbally - either by face to face talking or radios - or by hand-signals where there is a "clear line of sight".  So if we follow the process through - I'm treating the three loading point roads as Headshunt (right hand siding), Loading Siding (top siding) and cripple siding (bottom) - see note further down.

1) Signaller has control of the train on the main line, sets the points for the loading point - the ground frame would always be left set for arrivals in to the main road.   Normally the ground frame levers have to be set for the headshunt (to allow arrivals/departures) and would be locked in that position.  The interlocking with the signalling would probably only allow the signal to be cleared for arrivals if the ground frame was locked.  Once the train is in clear of the main line track circuits and the road reset, the shunter would request release of the ground frame from the signaller, which would be a power release in this case.  For completeness, he would probably also check as the HAA wagons passed him that the underside doors were shut and the safety catches were on - nothing worse than a full digger bucket drop in at the top, for the weight to push the catch out and fall straight out the bottom!!

2) The shunter, having got the ground frame release is now in control of all movements on sight.  We would set the points for the loading siding, visually confirm (probably with a kick of the boot too!) that they have gone across, and then tell the driver to set back slowly.  Radios make the movement quicker as he doesn't have to walk up to the loco.  There would be a marker board positioned for the driver's sight on the loading siding so that when he got to it he knew the train was positioned against the loading pad.  Of course, the pad may be shorter than the train, at which point, once the loading of those wagons is complete the loading staff would tell the shunter, he would then advise the driver to set back again (or pull forward depending on which end of the train was loaded first).

3) Once loading is complete.  The shunter would then tell the driver to pull forward back into the headshunt, following which he would reset the road for departure, call the signaller and advise that loading is complete and that the ground frame is reset.  The signaller would cancel the power release (of note if the levers in the ground frame were not in the correct place, the interlocking wouldn't allow him to take control back), and then at the appropriate point in time, would set the road and clear the departure signal - only a yellow tho, as the train is setting back so would not go beyond the current block, hence no point in giving a green.

4) The shunter would then confirm the signal has cleared, advise the driver as such and tell him to set back slowly, probably watching the whole train go over the pointwork, on guard against any possible derailments.  Once on the main line, the track circuiting would show the signaller when the train was clear of the points, the route would be reset, and the main line signal (giving entry to the loading point) cleared for the main line route and the train would depart.

Im not sure how Welsh loading points worked, but I would assume that somewhere on either the loading road or the headshunt there would be a weighbridge - all coals trains have to be weight checked for two reasons, one to ensure they are not overloaded, and secondly because the railway gets paid per tonne of coal moved - so both sides want an accurate figure of how much coal the train carried!!  I mention this as a weigh bridge is part of the layout.

Now I appreciate that is all way OTT for a layout, but having stepped through the whole procedure, you can see why ground signals un-necessarily complicate things.  There will be a location somewhere where ground signals are involved, because for safety of operations it is needed, but I don't think thats the case here.

I'm not sure of the reason for the third siding, referred to by me above as the Cripple Siding - with the track layout you have, Cripples couldn't be knocked out, as you cannot get the loco(s) to the other end of the train.  If it is intended as a cripple siding, id suggest one running parallel to the loading siding, perhaps capable of holding 4 or 5 wagons.

Having said all of that, I now recall you were talking about using a Class 08?  It creates an unlikely situation for such a simple location, but its your layout at the end of the day!  If you do employ a shunter, I can see the purpose of the third siding!  A shunter would be more likely to be used where a train needs to be broken up, such as the washery at Gwaun Came Gurwen, but a loading point such as Tower and Cwmbargoed etc.. would just be a loading siding if the train departed in the same direction it arrived, or a run-round loop if it was departing back in the direction from which it arrived.  All of the loading pads, were quick, easy and cheap things - so again keeping things simple reduced costs.  Where coal was concerned, the lower the cost of transporting it, the higher the profit.  From the railway point of view, the faster to load and unload a train, the more trips they could make in a day - although in reality of course that was all affected by availability of wagons and locos, along with drivers diagrams (they can only work so many hours without a break), pathing and discharge slots at the power station.

However, the operational outline above all still holds true with a shunter, except that the human shunter would be giving directions to the '08' driver, and the other loco would stay at the buffer stops on the arrival road.  Presumably what I have termed a cripple siding would then be a departure road, in which case the shunter would return the wagons to there, then head back to the loading road, allowing the locomotive to move from the arrival to the departure road, again via the loading road.  If thats the case, such movements with two locos on the same siding would be acceptable under shunter control (one person in control, giving clear instructions to both drivers) but would be far more unlikely if there were ground signals.

Hope that helps, I've tried to explain the background as to how things happen, so you can see why things are done a set way and hope I haven't confused you!  Feel free to use/ignore whatever of it :). Apologies its such a long reply - didn't intend it to go on as much!

Rich

• RMweb Gold

Fab - Thank you.

I forgot to add - signalling is a fascinating subject I find, complex at times (especially when you get in to point locks, mechnical locking, signal overlaps etc!), but quite enjoyable in a model form when you get your head around it.

Berko are suppose to be good, I've had friends use them, although haven't personally had any experience of Traintronics - there's also Absolute Aspects that might be a bit more expensive, but they are brass and 'plug-n-play' so no building involved on your part, and they do 2 and 3 aspect, along with feathers and ground signals.  www.absoluteaspects.com I think - no connection with them other than the occasional chat!

Rich

FANTASTIC Rich,

I'm in work and absolutely loved reading this, fascinating. I am going to print it off if you don't mind and add it to the layout.

Just one thing regarding the need for two sidings in the coal loading facility, my reason was. If a train arrives from the left fiddle yard with the site on its right then I guess the train would pass the points up to a marker board and then on command reverse into the siding/loading pad. Then depart off around to the right hand fiddle yard, simply. However on rare occasions I wanted to run a train it from the right fiddle yard so facing the coal facility. The train would enter the loading pad and pull through up to the buffer stop.

I didn't want a run round loop as it took up room and the manoeuvre not that interesting so....my plan was put an 08 in the headshunt ( as I have 2 ) Then back the loco and HAA wagons under instruction into the head shunt up to the waiting 08, remove the loco onto a shorter track next to the pad (sometimes used for HEA household coal)  

08 then pushed the empty wagons onto the pad and retreats back to the headshunt allowing the 37/56 etc to couple back up to its train facing the exit and not needing to reverse back out of the site.

Totally understand the ground frame & signal part now so just a matter of deciding what to go for, and love the weighbridge part, I'm going to add that.

This has been a real education and you have put it across so well.

Many thanks again, looking forward to your thoughts on trains entering the site from the right hand fiddle yard, if this would ever be done ?

Kind regards

Leon

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

FANTASTIC Rich,

I'm in work and absolutely loved reading this, fascinating. I am going to print it off if you don't mind and add it to the layout.

Feel free :) Glad it was of use to you!

Just one thing regarding the need for two sidings in the coal loading facility, my reason was. If a train arrives from the left fiddle yard with the site on its right then I guess the train would pass the points up to a marker board and then on command reverse into the siding/loading pad. Then depart off around to the right hand fiddle yard, simply. However on rare occasions I wanted to run a train it from the right fiddle yard so facing the coal facility. The train would enter the loading pad and pull through up to the buffer stop.

Exactly.  With just one loco there, you'd fine that trains would arrive from the left and depart to the right or vice-versa.  With an 08 present then there is a way of getting the loco onto the other end, so could do either.

I didn't want a run round loop as it took up room and the manoeuvre not that interesting so....my plan was put an 08 in the headshunt ( as I have 2 ) Then back the loco and HAA wagons under instruction into the head shunt up to the waiting 08, remove the loco onto a shorter track next to the pad (sometimes used for HEA household coal)  

08 then pushed the empty wagons onto the pad and retreats back to the headshunt allowing the 37/56 etc to couple back up to its train facing the exit and not needing to reverse back out of the site.

Thats fair enough.  Id say you've got three roads, a loading road (Which could be a bunker or pad), an arrival road and a departure road (or arrival/departure and headshunt).  In either case, once the train has arrive, it would need to clear both of the points.  The 08, would then potter out and couple to the rear of the train, and pull it into the top road - the one I'm suggesting would be the loading pad road.  There it can be loaded and pulled forward as necessary.  The BR loco would remain in the arrival road until this is complete, then the next movements would depend on whether you have arrival and departure roads, or an arrival/departure and headshunt.  

In the former, the 08 would propel the wagons back, under the shunters guidance, into the departure road, and return to the loading pad road, at least a couple of loco lengths clear of the points.  The BR loco would then shunt into the same siding, clear of the points, before reversing into the departure road to couple and allow the shunter to do the brake test.

If you have an arrival/departure road and a headshunt, then once the train has been loaded, the shunter would call the BR loco down.  Now lets say it arrived from the right fiddle yard and departing to the left, then the loco would be on the buffer stops in the arrival/departure road.  It would pull down onto the wagons in the loading road, and be re-coupled.  Depending on local instruction it may have stayed coupled in the first place, but more the exception that the rule. The 08 would be detached, and the BR loco would pull the train back into the arrival/departure road, before setting back onto the main line under the shunters instruction.

If its going the other way, left to right, then the need for the 08 is diminished quite severely, as the loco would be on the lead end after propelling off the main line, so it would haul into the loading pad, the 08 may be used to haul it back out, but more likely it would be propelled, then depart as normal.

On the railway, propelling moves where the driver is at the rear of the train are avoided as much as possible.  more chance of an accident, more chance of a derailment and additional costs, as the shunter has to be provided to be the drivers eyes at the back of the train - if he's on the ground, then thats more risk of an accident.  Hence if you wanted to keep things as realistic as possible, trains running right to left would provide more work for the 08.

You could use the one of the bottom sidings as loading pad as you say, and use the 08 for shuffling the wagons, but again remember that the 08 would collect the wagons, the BR loco wouldn't propel them onto it.

Totally understand the ground frame & signal part now so just a matter of deciding what to go for, and love the weighbridge part, I'm going to add that.

This has been a real education and you have put it across so well.

Many thanks again, looking forward to your thoughts on trains entering the site from the right hand fiddle yard, if this would ever be done ?

No problem!

Rich

I forgot to add - signalling is a fascinating subject I find, complex at times (especially when you get in to point locks, mechnical locking, signal overlaps etc!), but quite enjoyable in a model form when you get your head around it.

Berko are suppose to be good, I've had friends use them, although haven't personally had any experience of Traintronics - there's also Absolute Aspects that might be a bit more expensive, but they are brass and 'plug-n-play' so no building involved on your part, and they do 2 and 3 aspect, along with feathers and ground signals.  www.absoluteaspects.com I think - no connection with them other than the occasional chat!

Rich

Berko are good. I have a few now. I've also used Absolute Aspects (and before then Roger Murray) for specific prototype signals. Berko are obviously both cheaper and (much) quicker if they're what you want and fit your track layout. Assembling them is a doddle and the instructions are clear enough. They can also be improved by painting them and adding details to produce a nice-looking signal.

Hi all,

Just a few pictures of progress, not great quality sorry.

Track and points have arrived, ordered wrong point motors so waiting for replacements. In the process of backing the whole layout with board, something I never did on the last layout which has always annoyed me. Once this is fixed in place and painted I can then play with he track work and points. The coal facility will not have a run round facility, there will be a head shunt to carry out any manoeuvres needed. Any cripple wagons will be trip worked away by 09. 

Good to be back in the attic, I should have pulled the layout up a long time ago and got trains running, hopefully now using Electrofrog points I wont have anymore failures on the points.

post-5554-0-60593500-1495187663.jpg

Site of coal loading facility. Long track will be for HAA wagons, shorter siding for MEA, HEA household coal and cripple wagons

post-5554-0-67200700-1495187673.jpg

Access denied. No entry to the area at the moment

post-5554-0-84328400-1495187698.jpg

Looking into what will be the coal loading pad. Coal will be loaded via digger and coal will be stacked on mounds on the left. On the right can ne seen the track running out into the 2nd fiddle yard.

post-5554-0-64838500-1495187715.jpg

The track will run around through a cutting.

Edited by Leon
  • Like 7

Bit more work tonight, fixing the MDF backboard, thinking of a nice moody grey for the Welsh Valleys scene...

Will upload some pictures when done, running out of wood for the frame so it could be tomorrow.

Realised last night, every new point I bought ends up going where a joist is in the frame work....May have to chop the baseboard frame about a little before I can fit them underneath.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Leon,

Glad to see your moving forward with things! Looking forward to the latest update :)

You've just made a valid point that I shall give thought to when laying my new O gauge layout ... making sure the board sub-structure doesn't go where points or signals are!  Mental note made :)

Rich

For some reason the iphone has taken two pictures on there side....I will have to edit those now.

Just a few photo's showing one way the coal loading pad will work, this is showing a class 60 arriving from fiddle yard number 2.

Locomotive stops then pulls forward past the points, shunter then controls the train back into the facility and onto the loading pad. I think I got the maneuver correct?

When the train arrives from fiddle yard number 1 a bit more of a movement is required as the locomotive will be facing the coal facility and will need to be on the other end of the train once loaded.

It's surprising how long 10 wagons are, not even half a rake and takes up a lot of room. No chance of pulling 28......

A bit of a rush to upload, but i'm sure you all get the idea.....any questions please feel free to ask..

post-5554-0-42094400-1495224219_thumb.jpg

Train arrives

post-5554-0-87827200-1495224243_thumb.jpg

Trains pulls past the site until clear of the point, a marker board will tell the driver.

post-5554-0-18713800-1495224258_thumb.jpg

post-5554-0-95037700-1495224279_thumb.jpg

Once the points are set the train is backed onto the loading pad, looks like they are trialing a new canopy on the last HAA.

post-5554-0-70321400-1495224308_thumb.jpg

Train gets loaded.

post-5554-0-54677100-1495224294_thumb.jpg

Edited by Leon
  • Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Looks good Leon!

Sounds spot on to me.  Very impressed how that driver has managed to perfectly reverse those 10 wagons on a s-bend while traversing 'invisible' track! :). Sorry couldn't resist! hehe

Hope following your trial tonight, your happy that you can achieve what you want?

Rich

• Like 1

Hi all,

Been some progress, I'm happy with how things are moving, Pretty much finished the MDF backscene around the whole layout, a little bit of filling the screw heads then painting. Once this is done we can look at the track work and building up the hills and cutting.

Will try to upload some up to date pictures soon.

Thanks.

• Like 3