Leon

Hi Stephen,

Happy New Year all.

Not yet, still looking to start it to be honest. Have bought a nice display cabinet to show the locos that don't yet have a layout to run on.... Every week I say I will go into the attic and every week something comes up......

Hopefully soon....

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Looks nice Leon - you've built up a good collection of locos there!

Rich

Thanks Rich, 

A few got sound now, Need to get the 60 out of that Blue and into a sector. Shame I don't have the layout to run them on yet, they where starting to get a few knocks so hopefully the cabinet will look after them.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi Dan,

Bit late reply sorry, Not logged on for a while. 

Progress yes, in the process of having the tracks and points all wired in, a date is in the diary. Hopefully trains running next month and the layout complete by Christmas.

• Like 1

Hi guys, 

Can anyone recommend some signals for the layout ? I need some three aspect as per suggested earlier. 

I did look at Absolute signals but they come in at an eye watering £60-£75 each ! Ouch.....

Hi guys, 

Can anyone recommend some signals for the layout ? I need some three aspect as per suggested earlier. 

I did look at Absolute signals but they come in at an eye watering £60-£75 each ! Ouch.....

Eckon Berko ones definately a good option mate.

Trev :)

• RMweb Gold

Hi guys, 

Hi Leon,

Glad to see your progressing with things.  The Absolute ones are expensive, but each is hand-built out of brass, is pure plug and play, and are some of the best, accurate and most realistic you can get.  They are not for everyone, either because of cost or a want to use other things.  The Eckon range is really good, just remember to ensure the resisters are in the circuit or the bulbs get too hot!

Rich

Thanks Rich, 

I have someone wiring the layout for me as that was the stumbling block as I know nothing about it and all the research has taken time, just getting a date in the diary..

I will see if he can wire them in for me.

I also saw on Hattons, Traintronics and Train Tech, they both look pretty good, can any tell me anything about them please? 

Not bothered if they are DCC or not, I'm happy to flick a switch if needed...

Thanks guys...

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Good morning all, 

Exciting Saturday as the last of my signals have arrived.

I went with Train Tech for the two route indicators, one for the spur to the depot and the other for the route to the coal loading facility. These are DCC controlled.

However for the other 3 aspect signals i went for Berko as they looked nice, these are on DC, maybe I should have went all Train Tech for complete DCC control, Time will tell.

I also have a GPS Ground Shunt Signal for the depot area. This is from CR Signals.

Lastly a ground mounted signal to exit the Depot area, this is also a DC Berko.

Hopefully we can get these wired up on Thursday also.

I am no expert on Railway signalling so thank you for all the advice I have received. Im sure they may not be all 100% correct signal/locations, any further advice is more than welcome.

post-5554-0-27701500-1537005418_thumb.jpg

post-5554-0-52093500-1537005432_thumb.jpg

post-5554-0-66805100-1537005473_thumb.jpg

post-5554-0-01230400-1537005488_thumb.jpg

post-5554-0-58799300-1537005507_thumb.jpg

post-5554-0-56288000-1537005519_thumb.jpg

Edited by Leon
  • Like 4

Brilliant to see this still coming along Leon signals look good

David

Thank you David, 

Im sure having someone wire the track work up for me will spur me on to get it completed, having dodgy point work not allowing me to run trains put a halt to any progress.

They seem  good collection of signals, few bit of detailing to add from the packets, should all look good once in place with all the scenery and dirty coal trains waiting to leave

Edited by Leon

Hi all, 

Looking for some advice regarding back scenes,

I have seen some fantastic ones by ID, they have hill/mountains which will represent the area in the South Wales Valley's Im looking for, however i was thinking about painting some greys and whites onto the boards in place and not really have a back scene, The are is based in the Valley's with lots of coal tips, Im not an artist so not really looking at painting all the hills etc hence the idea of just a grey/white wash. I could have a mix of both I guess, maybe the hills back scene on the curve where I can then build up the coal tips in front.

Any thoughts ? 

Many thanks

Hi Leon;

Good to see things progressing, I was always one to paint the backscene grey/blue but took the plunge with the rather generic and commonly used gaugemaster one. I have to admit I do prefer it to a plain backscene but it really is a personal choice.. But hiding them with buildings and piles of coal is an option..

• Like 2

Hi all,

Apologies for the rushed photo's 

Finally got the points all wired up yesterday, 1st time I have had point motors and switches...

About 13 in total wired up to 3 panels around the layout, 1 panel is for the main visible section including the depot area and the Coal facility, the other two are for the fiddle yard at each end.

All the track work is wired up and live, locos and track needs a really good clean and a bit of adjustment on one of the points, but trains are running at last !

Work can move on soon with scenery and signals.

Thanks to Steven, in the photo from his company GLR for carrying out the work.

A Railfright 56 can be seen testing the depot area and a Class 60 pulling its train off the layout towards the fiddle yard.

post-5554-0-46529600-1537523239_thumb.jpg

post-5554-0-61780500-1537523282_thumb.jpg

post-5554-0-06839500-1537523319_thumb.jpg

Edited by Leon
  • Like 7