Leon

hi leaon, what a fantastic layout, i like the fact that the actual railway is not over crowding the scenery and buildings if you know what i mean blink.gif

the corus complex is amazing, some great buildings and details added and a very nice loco fleet.

This is really smart and im looking forward to seeing the depot area progress if its like the rest of your building work its going to be cracking

regards

neil

Thanks Neil for the kind words.

Hiya Leon,

Your layout is starting to really take shape now, its really looking fantastic!!

The fuel tanks look good too, they fit in with scene real nicely!!

I have to agree with Neil too, your Corus building is amazing and this layout will be one amazing layout when finished!!

Now go have a beer, you deserve one!! Lol!! laugh.gif

Regards

Georgie

Looking at the tracks I think Im going to replace the card between the rails with filler to give a "closer" concrete look. The rails dont look set in concrete like on the pictures kindly posted by Brian.

post-5554-126739312527_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

A fine barrier there Leon, exactly as I remember them. Just going to have a trundle round now to those oil tanks you've been fitting - there can be problems with oil spillage seeping down into the water table and contaminating water supplies...:rolleyes:

When you get the opportunity can you take some photographs showing the same areas but with a wider viewpoint so it's easier to see how all the different scenes fit together.

Mick

Leon,

I think you'll need a 'bund' around your fuel tanks - namely a low wall, in theory high enough to hold the contents of the tank(s) if it/they leaked.

There's enough 'cack' floating in the Roath Dock without one of your Transrail bods adding to it ! (tee hee !)

Unfortunately I don't have a decent shot of a 'bund' but a low wall, with a ladder up and over it would do.

Brian

Leon,

I think you'll need a 'bund' around your fuel tanks - namely a low wall, in theory high enough to hold the contents of the tank(s) if it/they leaked.

There's enough 'cack' floating in the Roath Dock without one of your Transrail bods adding to it ! (tee hee !)

Unfortunately I don't have a decent shot of a 'bund' but a low wall, with a ladder up and over it would do.

Brian

Morning Brian,

I was just thinking the same thing. Im thninking what I can make one out of, maybe I need to get some brick faced platicard. I need to "concrete" the depot area first before I worry about buildings etc. Besides, no Transrail here mate...Still British Rail.. Just poped my head into Canton Depot (closed) on the way to work for some ideas. Not been there for years its all Network Rail now.. You cant even have access to the bridge over the line anymore. Did see a large logo 50.

Off now to do some real work, (after a coffee, have a good one.

ViTrains Class 37 arrives. Waiting for digital chip and detail to be fitted.

Was really impressed, thought the Bachy would be alot better but I found the Vi sits lower on its bogies than the Bachmann which looks better, also better fan detail. Not added all the details parts yet or run. However first impressions are good. Few more on the way for remumbering I think.

post-5554-126806449264_thumb.jpg

post-5554-126806452591_thumb.jpg

post-5554-126806462211_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Hi Leon,

This is looking really good, you've created a fantastic industrial landscape. A word of warning on the Vitrains 37s though, the paint is extremely thin and it's practically impossible to take the numbers off without having to repaint a small patch before applying the new number. Bachmann 3TG railfreight 37s seem to be a bit more forgiving in this regard.

Hi Keith and thank you for the advice, I am some way off weathering / detailing my rolling stock but I will remember this when it comes to it. Not much done recently, cant really get my head into working on the stableing point. Think I need some inspiration.

post-5554-126808732613_thumb.jpg

post-5554-126808738757_thumb.jpg

post-5554-126808743626_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Hi Leon

This Layout is growing so much... dude... It slowly coming to life... the Haulage Lorries seems to be in full time business despite the finial climate we are living in... They must have a great Bank behind them to give them the money to grow...Haha

Great Mate... Keep it up...!

Regards

Jamie

Forgive me, I have gone over to the crimson side.

Never wanted any EWS but always had a liking for the 59 and 66's. Simon aka Pimanlarger kindly sold one of his 66's to me.

This may be the only EWS I will have. Its just off the boat at Newport docks, she was commisioned on the dockside and put straight into traffic hauling empty freightliner wagons to Pengam sometime in 1999 ?? so will stay in ex works condition. It is a splash of colour to the layout which I find pleasing to the eye. Also to blame for the "shed" is mate Georgie who I know is a big fan of them.

Not great pics sorry as was in a bit of a rush. Notice that the Yard office is now boarded up. Unsure if the weeds look right, they look a little "Praire" wildwest to me, what do you think ? advice...

Regards

Leon.

post-5554-126834896262_thumb.jpg

post-5554-126834901688_thumb.jpg

post-5554-126834906756_thumb.jpg

post-5554-12683491278_thumb.jpg

post-5554-126834919499_thumb.jpg

post-5554-126834923865_thumb.jpg

post-5554-126834928314_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Also put a Hornby chip in the Vi 37, I orderd a Bachmann one off Rails and they sent me a Hornby. What an anti climax that was ! The 37 is slow to respond and make a hell of a noise. Then I ran the Bachmann 66, super smooth and quiet and very very responsive. Not sure if its the Vitrains 37 or the Hornby chip.

??? I have a Hornby 56 & 60 which run well.

Forgive me, I have gone over to the crimson side.

Not great pics sorry as was in a bit of a rush. Notice that the Yard office is now boarded up. Unsure if the weeds look right, they look a little "Praire" wildwest to me, what do you think ? advice...

Regards

Leon.

That 66 does look good on there! I like tha cabin too, nice touch. With the weeds, i think you need to mix them up with other Weeds. I used the same clumps you have mixed with Woodland scenics grass (time consuming to "plant but very effective) and some pipe cleaner type bushes which i think are guagemaster? The three together look much better than just a single type to me.

I am surprised at you Leon going over to the dark side……..leaving behind 37s, 56s and 60s, very disappointed!tongue.gif biggrin.gif

Love them or hate them the Bachmann shed is a very good model, I have to confess to owning a couple myself but please keep that quiet! icon_redface.gif Looks good on your layout, do you have any covered steel wagons?

Whenever I see photos of your metals Grid and Petroleum 60 it makes me want to get some sector locos!

I am surprised at you Leon going over to the dark side……..leaving behind 37s, 56s and 60s, very disappointed!tongue.gif biggrin.gif

Im not, its about time a 66 rolled in to help out tongue.gif laugh.gif All you need is another 9 and your layout shall look fantastic lol laugh.gif

Your weeds look top, what did you use matey?? The whole layout is starting to look real!!

What new 37 have got??

Regards

Georgie

I recommend getting some mini-natur static grass and applying this over and between your existing weeds. Get the short (4.5mm length) in a green-ish colour (summer perhaps) and then the medium (6mm) in brown-ish colour (winter).

You can spray on a little hair-spray where you want to add the grass, then use a Noch puffer bottle (also available from Gaugemaster - about a fiver) to gently start adding some more texture. This can be built up in layers. I tend to use the short first, then a little bit of the medium on top. Keep applying a little hair spray between coats. It's quite hard wearing but probably wouldn't survice a full on brush with a vacuum! Fine if you just need to clear your tracks though - the hairspray will also stop the fibres getting into your locomotives.

Remember to mask the track area (and rail heads in particular) when using the hair spray!

If you then want some bushes I tend to use Woodland Scenics foliage. Sometimes the clusters (but these are quite dense) otherwise the foliage just teased out. I use the medium grade - and use med-green mostly. With your colour pallete I'd try 'burnt grass'.

Thanks Simon, I agree I do need to mix it up a bit. Thanks Grimley I do like the Sector livery but they are grey, a splash of colour is nice either EWS or the older Rail Blue. Not got any steel wagons yet, only got about 6 wagons in total. I was looking at the Railfreight BDA's for if and when I have any spare cash. Thanks Georgie, the 66 is a great model I see now why you like them (maybe one more)lol, the 37 is shown earlier it 37201 in Trainload Matals livery. ViTrains from Hattons.

James, Thanks, I did get Mini-Natur that you reccomended sometime ago, I used the Autum tufts I believe, maybe need some more. I also bought a roll of the grass mat which is very green. I have also used the Noch static grass, shows up better in some of the earlier pics. Maybe I need to run a balloon over it again. I will get somemore and mix it in a bit I think. I did buy some Humbrol Matt Varnish instead of the hairspray ?

I have picked up a hanging basket liner ready to use as a number of people have recommended, Cramdin Yard use them to great effect.

My Fiancee is already anoyed at me taking her tweezers into the atic do I dar'nt risk her hairspray..lol

Cheers all

Leon

• 3 weeks later...