Etched loco chassis

Chris Higgs

Chris,

Any info on the other underframes such as Fruit D and grain hopper?

David

These are sitting on my dining room table waiting to be cut up and sent to the shops. 70 sheets of etch in total and its quite a job. Hopefully my private team of elves (also known as the children) will get stuck in this weekend.

Please don't pester the shops yet though.

Chris

Edited by Chris Higgs

Is there a chassis for the 94XX please?

By the 94XX do you mean the Farish one? I do have some artwork somewhere for a 94XX chassis, but stopped working on it when I realised the Farish body is way overscale and from that era when they designed every body to fit the same GP tank chassis.

Chris

Chris,

Can I ask what gears the M7 chassis is designed to use? I can then pick them up from the central shop at Expo next week.

Thanks,

Steve

30:1 wormset followed by 14:28 M0.3. For the secondary gears you can use anything with centres of around 6.4mm, so 14:18 M0.4, 16:26 M0.3 would also work.

Chris

• RMweb Premium

These are sitting on my dining room table waiting to be cut up and sent to the shops. 70 sheets of etch in total and its quite a job. Hopefully my private team of elves (also known as the children) will get stuck in this weekend.

Chris

Hi Chris

Does this include the fitted 1/275 chassis?

Cheers

Paul

Chris

All cut up now and going to David Short on Monday. With a fair wind they *may* be available at Expo (if the Royal Mail oblige). M7 and Black 5 not included as the first is being redesigned, the second did not etch out as I would have wished.

I have been asked to point out by the powers that be that none of the other upcoming chassis mentioned on here are yet approved for the Shop. I will be offering the 61XX, 28XX and Hall/Manor replacement chassis as well as the Farish BR CCT and Dapol SR BY underframes to the Association. If they wish, they will become Shop items, otherwise I will do them privately. All of the other GWR loco chassis are most definitely a private venture on a one-off limited edition basis.

Are there any other combinations of gears which can be used with the  Hunslet Austerity 0-6-0ST (3-640) replacement chassis in order to obtain a higher reduction ratio?

Am I right in assuming the total gear ratio for the recommended gears is approx 39:1 (18/14 * 30/1 = 38.57)? Or I got it wrong?...

Thank you,

Are there any other combinations of gears which can be used with the  Hunslet Austerity 0-6-0ST (3-640) replacement chassis in order to obtain a higher reduction ratio?

Am I right in assuming the total gear ratio for the recommended gears is approx 39:1 (18/14 * 30/1 = 38.57)? Or I got it wrong?...

Thank you,

I'm not familiar with either the Loco or the chassis kit, but, assuming the gear shaft centres are fixed by the etch, then, unless you can get some finer gears which have the same meshing centres, that's the best you can get with Association gears.   Your calculations are correct.    In fact, I would think this should be a good enough reduction, especially if you are using a coreless motor.  What diameter are the wheels - 4'6"?

Jim

Edited by Caley Jim

Thank you, Jim.

The wheels are 4'3" so the drivers I'm using are 3-006 (8.5 mm). And the motor will be the Maxon RE10.

I generally aim for a reduction of around 10x the wheel diameter in feet so you're as near that as you are likely to get.  With a Maxon motor it should run nice and slow.

Jim

Thank you,

On the older chassis I did not really think about alternative gear ratios. On the newer ones I got clever and often use a gear spacing that will allow the use of either M0.3 and M0.4 gears. On all of these gears you can substitute any gear combination where the sum of the teeth is the same, so for example 14:18 will have the same spacing as 15:17, 16:16 and so on.

In this case by chance you can use 18:25 M0.3 in place of 14:18 M0.4. Which gives you 41:1. If you want to be more adventurous you could use 16:27 M0.3. - you would have to order the 27 tooth gear direct from the Association's supplier in Poland in this case. This would give you 50:1.

You can also use the Ultrascale 13 tooth 64DP gear  (which is the same size as the 14 tooth) together with an 18 tooth 64DP to give 41.5:1 

https://www.ultrascale.com/eshop/products/view/CAT015/268

Chris

Edited by Chris Higgs

That would be adventurous - the 27t gear would be a bigger diameter (8.7mm) than the loco wheels (8.5mm), so not recommended..... The 25t gear (8.1mm OD) should be OK though.

Andy

Well you could fit 9mm wheels. Although that would negate a portion of the benefit.

• RMweb Gold

Even then the gear would have to sit above the level of the running rails.

Chris

Or use those curved turntables for switching like the Listowell and Ballybunion monorail :nono:

Don

Would the M7 chassis be suitable to go under a Worsley Works body?

Steve

I had etched some new frames on the last etch as a test and I took the opportunity to compare them to my Worsley M7 etch (another one I will never get around to building!). Looks like it should work fine. I have no idea what Allan Doherty had in mind when he etched the footplate, there will be a large chunk that needs cutting out to acoomodate the frames and the motor - but that would be the case anyway.

Chris

I had etched some new frames on the last etch as a test and I took the opportunity to compare them to my Worsley M7 etch (another one I will never get around to building!). Looks like it should work fine. I have no idea what Allan Doherty had in mind when he etched the footplate, there will be a large chunk that needs cutting out to acoomodate the frames and the motor - but that would be the case anyway.

Chris

That's not unexpected. Do you have a feel for when the etches might arrive in the shop?

Steve

• RMweb Premium

Chris,

Can I ask what gears the M7 chassis is designed to use? I can then pick them up from the central shop at Expo next week.

Thanks,

Steve

Steve,

Did M7s ever make it onto Rhymney tracks or is this another 'show me a side-track and I'm off' moment?

David

Steve,

Did M7s ever make it onto Rhymney tracks or is this another 'show me a side-track and I'm off' moment?

David

Given my circumstances I don't think there will be enough time for the Rhymney project. I do have some stock suitable for a small South Western branch including part-built carriages so it's probably best to concentrate on getting something working for that. I know the M7s were mostly London based before electrification of the suburban lines but I'm prepared to argue special circumstances!

Steve

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Given my circumstances I don't think there will be enough time for the Rhymney project. I do have some stock suitable for a small South Western branch including part-built carriages so it's probably best to concentrate on getting something working for that. I know the M7s were mostly London based before electrification of the suburban lines but I'm prepared to argue special circumstances!

Steve

Get it built Steve, you would be amazed at what visiting motive power suitable for (somewhere) in the south west is likely to turn up:-)

That exquisite stock of yours deserves to be shunted!

Great to see you last weekend by the way,

Jerry

• Like 1