Etched loco chassis

Chris Higgs

That's not unexpected. Do you have a feel for when the etches might arrive in the shop?

Steve

A multiple number of months I fear. First the test etch has to go and come back. Then everything on it gets test built. That's 4 GWR loco chassis, 2 NPCS underframes in addition to the M7.

Then the production etch gets done. 

Chris

A multiple number of months I fear. First the test etch has to go and come back. Then everything on it gets test built. That's 4 GWR loco chassis, 2 NPCS underframes in addition to the M7.

Then the production etch gets done. 

Chris

Patient mode on.

• 1 month later...

Hi Chris, I was excited to see in the latest 2mm newsletter that the Terrier and J39 chassis are both now available - I have an orphaned terrier body that's been waiting for a 2mm chassis for some time, and I also have a J39 with turned down wheels that I'm not totally happy with so tempted to get a chassis for that too. However, there aren't listed on the website yet, so no details on the wheel and gear combinations etc they're designed for - any details? Also, does the J39 chassis include a replacement for the over-sized lubricator drive?

Cheers

Justin

• RMweb Gold

There are some details in the new mag. I expect as soon as the stock has reached the shops and our volunteers who man the shops and update websites etc. can do there parts you will be able to order them. We are dependant on these volunteers who do a sterling job but sometimes a little patience is needed.

Don

• RMweb Gold

There are some details in the new mag. I expect as soon as the stock has reached the shops and our volunteers who man the shops and update websites etc. can do there parts you will be able to order them. We are dependant on these volunteers who do a sterling job but sometimes a little patience is needed.

Don

Justin was asking a simple question, I don't think he is being inpatient. I too would be interested in what gear arrangement Chris has used.

Jerry

Hi Chris, I was excited to see in the latest 2mm newsletter that the Terrier and J39 chassis are both now available - I have an orphaned terrier body that's been waiting for a 2mm chassis for some time, and I also have a J39 with turned down wheels that I'm not totally happy with so tempted to get a chassis for that too. However, there aren't listed on the website yet, so no details on the wheel and gear combinations etc they're designed for - any details? Also, does the J39 chassis include a replacement for the over-sized lubricator drive?

Cheers

Justin

Details for the new loco chassis can be found here.

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/twomm/files/Etched%20chassis%20diagrams/

There is also stuff on the new bufferstops, NPCS underframes and GWR Lowmac

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/twomm/files/NPCS%20instructions/

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/twomm/files/Pre-group%20bufferstops/

Edited by Chris Higgs

• RMweb Gold

If it is just the details of the arrangements you want the details are in the group files section under Etched chassis. I received notifications of the updates to the files a two or three weeks ago when Chris added them.

Don

Many thanks Chris. The Yahoo  VAG emails had been bouncing from the email account I had used (inbox full) and I only just realised, so hadn't seen the notification. I did try searching the message archive for "terrier chassis" but seemed to mainly find things related to Jerry's earlier build! Anyway, I have them now, very useful, thanks!

It looks like for the J39 the lubricator would have to be fabricated by hand? (or did J39s ever run without them?)

Justin

• RMweb Gold

That's excellent thanks for the info Chris. I'm glad you went for the 8 mm motor option in the end. I have a second Terrier which has a converted Dapol chassis under it but whilst the running is ok it's not a patch on that with the replacement chassis and 8mm Lawton motor. I think the NSLR will be getting another Terrier with your new Association chassis.

Jerry

I think part of the problem is that the locos aren't simply body and chassis - the boiler, tanks and cab are one assembly, the footplate another and the frames/wheels a third. The motor is trapped in a moulded plastic 'cage' that clips to the footplate and chassis.

The chap who uses the Terriers as drive units (to great effect) is Gareth Collier.

Andy

I think part of the problem is that the locos aren't simply body and chassis - the boiler, tanks and cab are one assembly, the footplate another and the frames/wheels a third. The motor is trapped in a moulded plastic 'cage' that clips to the footplate and chassis.

The chap who uses the Terriers as drive units (to great effect) is Gareth Collier.

Andy

I'd be happy to take the bodies (top part) and etch a footplate for them.

• 1 month later...

Chris,

Is that to go with a Farish body and your etched chassis? Looks like an interesting idea.

David

It could do that, if done to 1:148 scale. Certainly the Farish lower half is far too wide and needs a replacement, and this would be a much easier solution to build than the etched replacement outside frames in my conversion chassis.

Or equally it *might* be something to use with the 2mm 08 and 11 kits if done to 1:152.4. The kit requires a combination of etched frames, whitemetal castings and a PCB footplate, and this could replace them all, and at a stroke remove the issue of isolating a metal bufferbeam from a split frame construction - which required another piece of PCB.

It is almost a decade now since the 08 and 11 kits were released, and technology has moved on.

This morning I have added the sandboxes to the artwork. Much easier to do than I had thought

post-1605-0-33854500-1442405331.png

post-1605-0-56459600-1442423624.png

Chris 

Edited by Chris Higgs
  • Like 2

Chris,

I guess with 3D printing it is not too much of a problem to do both versions as John B-S has done with his Star.

David

David,

Yes, not a problem at all, and as Shapeways charge by the plastic volume, on a one-off basis, there is no particular penalty for 1:152 or 1:148 (in fact the former will be marginally cheaper).

John

• Like 1

David,

Yes, not a problem at all, and as Shapeways charge by the plastic volume, on a one-off basis, there is no particular penalty for 1:152 or 1:148 (in fact the former will be marginally cheaper).

John

Yes indeed. Worth noting though that there is a handling fee per item, so a saving can be made by having more than one uploaded as a single item.

Here it is. https://www.shapeways.com/model/3dtools/3828349/2/114?key=0363809a6a27dfb468992326da009f60

Still plenty to do - underfloor tanks, versions for Class 11, Class 13 etc etc

Edited by Chris Higgs

• 3 weeks later...