Etched loco chassis

Chris Higgs

I have news that a number of etched loco chassis will surface from PEC this week or next. Apart from the ones destined for the shop (GWR 51XX, 28XX, Hall/Grange/Manor) these will be as follows:

GWR: 44XX, 43XX (extra etches for 51XX), Saint (extra etches for Hall), 56XX, 42XX/72XX, 47XX, Dean Goods.

LSWR: G6, O2

LNWR: Coal Tank

All scaled to 1:148.

EDIT: oops the Coal Tank is actually to 1:152 to match the etches

Get in contact if you are interested, these will all be in exteremly limited quantities. I will check they build, but I am not going through an extended test etch cycle to make them perfect, given I am expecting sales of less than 5 of each in total.

Chris

EDIT: I forgot there is a 64XX chassis as well

Edited by Chris Higgs
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Get in contact if you are interested, these will all be in exteremly limited quantities. I will check they build, but I am not going through an extended test etch cycle to make them perfect, given I am expecting sales of less than 5 of each in total.

Chris

PM sent Chris.

Mark

Thanks Chris. Interesting. But what is the rationale for producing these etches to 1:148 scale?

Some, like the 51XX, 28XX, Hall, 64XX, 44XX, G6 and O2 are to match plastic bodies or kits to that scale, and then my rationale is that I will be doing the rest of my GWR locos to the same scale.

I got the Coal Tank wrong, that is to 1:152 scale to match the shot-down etches.

And I forgot to mention the 64XX.

Chris

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

As lots of people, myself included, often forget to look at their PMs, then probably yes.

Jerry

You can set up alerts for PMs in notification preferences in settings.

Nig H

Edited by Nig H
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Guys, is it really necessary to tell us all that you've sent Chris a PM or email?

Andy

Yes. 

I had a lie in so it was too late to send a AM.

Seeing all the PMs, I hope there are enough to go around :-)

Just about. There are a couple of over-subscriptions, and so far I have only announced it on here. More can be ordered, but it will be a couple of months. Still plenty of 56XX and Coal Tanks at this point.

EDIT: I just found I ordered two more of the GWR ones than I had thought. So still some of each left (just).

Chris

Edited by Chris Higgs

Guys, is it really necessary to tell us all that you've sent Chris a PM or email?

Andy

I sent Chris a PM without telling everyone. Except now I have. Oh dear...

I have news that a number of etched loco chassis will surface from PEC this week or next. Apart from the ones destined for the shop (GWR 51XX, 28XX, Hall/Grange/Manor) these will be as follows:

GWR: 44XX, 43XX (extra etches for 51XX), Saint (extra etches for Hall), 56XX, 42XX/72XX, 47XX, Dean Goods.

LSWR: G6, O2

LNWR: Coal Tank

All scaled to 1:148.

I'm a bit late and I hope there is still a Dean Goods chassis available (PM sent..).

What have you included on the tender chassis?

Functional inside frames or a complete underframe? The latter would be very nice of course!

Jan

I'm a bit late and I hope there is still a Dean Goods chassis available (PM sent..).

What have you included on the tender chassis?

Functional inside frames or a complete underframe? The latter would be very nice of course!

Jan

The tender chassis is inside frames, brakes and etched steps only. I do my tender underframes using 3D-printing these days, if one is not included with the body. No need to source cast axleboxes then as they are included. In theory at least (to be tested) the etched chassis should work with the Nick Birkett-Smith tenders on Shapeways as well. And I am hoping to have my Hawksworth and Collett 3000 tenders up there as well very soon.

EDIT: it's worth observing that the variations in the frames of GWR tenders is so great that trying to produce an etch to cover them all would be futile.

Chris

Edited by Chris Higgs
  • Like 1