Etched loco chassis

Chris Higgs

Hi Chris

Assuming they're Dapol (i.e. N scale) how close is your etch to true 2mm scale on the wheel spacings?

They are not close to 2mm scale. The etches are specifically designed to convert the proprietory bodies. That means they all have exact wheel spacings for 1:148 (except for the 4F which is a conversion chassis for the Raithby etched kit, so it is to 2FS). It also means they have strange cutouts where the boby mouldingd have bits sticking out. So they are not intene

ded to be generic chassis for uses other that for which they are designed.

I have has a couple of queries about doing 2mm equivalants, that might be possible given I have the artwork to rescale, but the cost of these would be higher than the conversion chassis.

Chris

I think this needs moving to a new thread, before it becomes a full blown discussion and overwhelming the original thread. This has been covered many times before and many toys thrown from prams.

The bottom line is - Model what you feel is right for you, there is no right or wrong.

Yeh. move it somewhere else. But as to no right or wrong, be sure Hornby Dublo 3 Rail can never be counted as finescale.

Chris

• Like 1

Getting back to the original topic of etched chassis, could I ask if others are having difficulty getting stores from the 2mm shops for loco chassis construction? I have had items on order for weeks and I can't even get a response as to whether the order even arrived. It's all very frustrating. And yes I realise they're volunteers doing it in their spare time, but it doesn't create a great impression of the 2mm Assn.

Oli

Getting back to the original topic of etched chassis, could I ask if others are having difficulty getting stores from the 2mm shops for loco chassis construction? I have had items on order for weeks and I can't even get a response as to whether the order even arrived. It's all very frustrating. And yes I realise they're volunteers doing it in their spare time, but it doesn't create a great impression of the 2mm Assn.

Oli

I think they are having problems Oli, but I understand they're trying to get it sorted. I'm in the same position as you with a couple of projects being on hold for months. Like you say very frustrating!!

Chaps,

There will be a change of shopkeeper happening shortly. I'm hopeful that things will improve then, but we also have a problem in that supply of things like loco wheels can't keep up with demand (I'm looking forward to seeing all the 2mm locos that will run on these wheels!).

The loco wheels in particular are complicated little beasties, and go through several different assembly and checking processes, each of which is reliant on volunteers and/or cottage industry suppliers. Similarly, metric gears are sourced from a supplier in Poland, and supplies can be difficult at times.

Efforts are being made to try and sort out the problems, but unfortunately it's not as easy as ringing up a supplier and ordering a few more components for delivery tomorrow.

Hope this helps explain things - please PM me if you want to discuss further.

Andy

2mm Scale Assoc. Secretary.

Getting back to the original topic of etched chassis, could I ask if others are having difficulty getting stores from the 2mm shops for loco chassis construction? I have had items on order for weeks

I'd say sit tight Oli, I've had an order with the shop for a couple of months now and I'm still awaiting the goods. It does make a nice surprise when your package turns up out of the blue though!

Pix

Oli

It probably creates a fair impression, given that Hattons it ain't. When you joined the Association you became part of a rather grand mutual help organisation. It's not, neither does it aspire to be a commercial operation. People are there trying to produce items for 2mm modelling, and loco wheels are one of the most complicated. We can physically only produce so many per year, and if one of the key men falls illin the chain (as happened quite recently) production falls to zero. If idiots like me start producing products that stimulate more demand, that only makes things worse :-)

The fact that there is noone else out there producing things like loco wheels in either N or 2mm will tell you about the vaibility of them as a commercial product.

The only solution to this, is to get more volunteers to produce items or do other jobs in the supply chain. And that means people like you. Because there is no them and s here. When you joined you became a part of the 2mm SA. In a legal sense as well as it happens.

Chris

• Like 3

It probably creates a fair impression, given that Hattons it ain't. When you joined the Association you became part of a rather grand mutual help organisation. It's not, neither does it aspire to be a commercial operation. People are there trying to produce items for 2mm modelling, and loco wheels are one of the most complicated. We can physically only produce so many per year, and if one of the key men falls illin the chain (as happened quite recently) production falls to zero. If idiots like me start producing products that stimulate more demand, that only makes things worse :-)

The fact that there is noone else out there producing things like loco wheels in either N or 2mm will tell you about the vaibility of them as a commercial product.

The only solution to this, is to get more volunteers to produce items or do other jobs in the supply chain. And that means people like you. Because there is no them and s here. When you joined you became a part of the 2mm SA. In a legal sense as well as it happens.

Chris

Chris I’m sorry if I sounded unhelpful and critical, I was only concerned at not being about to get any response, even to a query as to whether my order had arrived. Clearly there is a problem as others have now confirmed and having learned that all is well of this I’m happy to wait. That was all I needed to know.

However there is clearly an issue with my query being considered as a complaint that the service is not “by return”. This was not my intention and I hoped that my acknowledgement to it being run by volunteers in their spare time would have prevented that thought. Clearly I did not make it clear enough and for that I apologize.

How I thought in my defence I ought to point out in regard to the comment “The only solution to this is to get more volunteers to produce items or do other jobs in the supply chain. And that means people like you.”

I did write to the shop some months ago and offer to help with any stage of the production, assembly, checking or packing or any other issue that might help. The response sadly was total silence.

Oli

• RMweb Gold

How I thought in my defence I ought to point out in regard to the comment “The only solution to this is to get more volunteers to produce items or do other jobs in the supply chain. And that means people like you.”

I did write to the shop some months ago and offer to help with any stage of the production, assembly, checking or packing or any other issue that might help. The response sadly was total silence.

Oli

If people are busy running the Association, then time to reply to letters is often short, as I know from personal experience.

For this type of thing, a phone call or email is probably better.

Now, please don't take offence at this, it's a general comment not aimed at anyone in particular - when the Association (or in fact any organisation) uses volunteers, it's essential they are reliable, trustworthy and can deliver what they promise, so a degree of vetting has to take place.

I have been in this situation myself when I was in charge of Association publications and the demands of my work life intruded into the time I had available for 2mm work.

It can feel like a bit of a treadmill always having to produce 2mm shop items to keep up with demand - especially when said items disappear into gloat boxes and don't get used. I plead guilty to this as I've got a stash of kits & locos wating to be built. In mitigation, I've not made many 2mm purchases recently.

Mark.

Sorry to be a dimwit but I've come to this thread late via the fascinating pictures of the 14xx chassis. Is the intention to supply a complete kit (wheels, chassis etch, bushes, motor, couplig rods etc) to convert the 14xx and 57xx? Or is that just the wishful thinking of a beginner who has yet to produce a finescale loco?

Could somebody bring me up to speed please?

The wheels, motors etc are (assuming they are in stock) all available from the 2mm association, so can be ordered at the same time.

I don't think that's quite the information nightmail was looking for.

Usual practice for 2mm kits is to supply the etches separately and allow the purchaser to source his/her own wheels, gears, etc. (A list of the extra bits is nearly always provided with the instructions). In the latest newsletter, the first of these chassis etches were listed with shop codes and prices - the 14xx was £15, so I'd guess from that that you will need to source appropriate wheels, m*ffs, gears, motor, bushes, and miscellaneous other bits (coupling rods will be included on the etch I imagine).

2mm Scale Association products are available to members only, so if you aren't a member, you will need to join to purchase these kits and bits.

Andy

The wheels, motors etc are (assuming they are in stock) all available from the 2mm association, so can be ordered at the same time.

And even if they are in stock and assuming you're a member it seems that it can still take 2/3 months to get anything!!

• RMweb Gold

And even if they are in stock and assuming you're a member it seems that it can still take 2/3 months to get anything!!

I really don't think that's fair. As a member for almost thirty years now I have never had to wait that long - certainly when something is in stock. It has to be remembered that 2FS is very much a minority interest run by volunteer enthusiasts for enthusiasts. If it was run on a commercial basis the range would be a fraction of the size it is now at considerably greater cost. Comments like this are not helpful, do not encourage volunteers and, above all, do not accurately represent the service provided by the shops. As others have said, there are a few changes going on at the moment which have lead to some delays, combined with the fact that 2mm appears to be rapidly growing in popularity resulting in some of the key components being snapped up faster than they can be produced - often to languish in somebodies gloat box. A little more patience is required at the moment.

Jerry (also patiently waiting for wheels)

• Like 1

Yes I realise all that you've said but if people take on volunteer tasks they should be able to deliver and I've certainly waited over two months and according to Pixie on 18 August he's been waiting over two months still waiting, indeed I've heard recently on the "local grapevine" that there are still orders from May not yet dealt with so while it may not be fair it is true sadly. And I'm not talking about "out of stock items".

Oli

• RMweb Premium

Yes, but venting your frustration like this doesn't help the situation, it only puts the 2mm association in a bad light it doesn't deserve. It is unfortunate, but is being dealt with.

As has been pointed out the association is a small one, run entirely by volunteers, all of whom spend considerable amounts of their time trying to help other members in various ways. For it's size, and compared with other scale/gauge societies, it could be said that it punches well above it's weight considering the scale and depth of the products and services it provides.

It's easy to be critical, so please make any such remarks constructive if you feel you must make them.

Thank you

Izzy

Chris I’m sorry if I sounded unhelpful and critical,

Hi Oli,

Obviously you've had an issue but I'd be grateful if membership on this site wasn't solely used to grind a 2mm axe please.

• Like 2

I don't think that's quite the information nightmail was looking for.

Usual practice for 2mm kits is to supply the etches separately and allow the purchaser to source his/her own wheels, gears, etc. (A list of the extra bits is nearly always provided with the instructions). In the latest newsletter, the first of these chassis etches were listed with shop codes and prices - the 14xx was £15, so I'd guess from that that you will need to source appropriate wheels, m*ffs, gears, motor, bushes, and miscellaneous other bits (coupling rods will be included on the etch I imagine).

2mm Scale Association products are available to members only, so if you aren't a member, you will need to join to purchase these kits and bits.

Andy

Yes, although I haven't done the instructions, when they do a parts list will be included. And normally the instructions or at least the parts list will be online so you can get all at once.

Often, and it will be the case here, there will be a recommended motor, but others may choose something different, inclduing from another source. And there will I know be at least some the chassis where a choice of wheel sizes can be made - either a set which are full scale size but perhaps quite tight inside the splashers, or use the next size down and have a bit more leeway.

Chris

Not had that experience so far - although I've been waiting before ordering some wheels as at the time it was clearly advised they were out of stock. Plenty of other things to finish in the meantime.

There are really only two basic ways to make it happen faster

- Figure out a better way to do it, and do it

- See if you can join in and actually help with things like wheel assembly sessions or whatever your particular talent happens to be (If you don't have a talent I'm sure they can find you one 8) )

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Yes, although I haven't done the instructions, when they do a parts list will be included. And normally the instructions or at least the parts list will be online so you can get all at once.

Often, and it will be the case here, there will be a recommended motor, but others may choose something different, inclduing from another source. And there will I know be at least some the chassis where a choice of wheel sizes can be made - either a set which are full scale size but perhaps quite tight inside the splashers, or use the next size down and have a bit more leeway.

Chris

Chris

Any current information on possible date for availability of these (48xx and 57xx) etches?

Chris

Any current information on possible date for availability of these (48xx and 57xx) etches?

Latest estimate is that they will be in the 2mm shop 3 in January/February.

I have recently seen some of the test etches for these, and they look very nice.

Andy

just like to add my bit about the shops........ as we all know there can be delays in items coming into stock etc if your pondering / planning on making some thing perhaps as in the real world order your materials in plenty of time.

maybe even build up a stock . i have been purchasing bits for a 4F for almost a year and do not plan on starting it for another 6 months or so but am still buying parts / materials as and when i have a few spare quid.

Despite being out of period for what I would like to portray I have succumbed to the offer of a 2251 bodyshell. Those that did likewise will also need a tender.

I have whitemetal tenders from Langley, P&D Marsh and GEM kits but none of them posses the fidelity that an etched one could/should/would have. It might be a plausible proposition for one of the greats in 4mm to reduce one of their kits, or a stand alone kit in 2.06mm, if there is enough demand.