Etched loco chassis

Chris Higgs

Hi Chris,

I was wondering if you had any update on when the m7 etch might be released?   

Thanks

Guy

PS - I have one of the jinty chassis and having a jig to ensure square alignment is a very good idea.

I am hopeful of the test etch arriving very soon. It was promised for last week but no sign yet. When (if?) it builds OK I can look to put it on a production sheet.

The Black 5 will be ahead of the M7 - hopefully the production etches on the same order will come out OK and they can go out to the shop.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I am hopeful of the test etch arriving very soon. It was promised for last week but no sign yet. When (if?) it builds OK I can look to put it on a production sheet.

The Black 5 will be ahead of the M7 - hopefully the production etches on the same order will come out OK and they can go out to the shop.

Etches have arrived. Will need to find some time to build them up. I am quite enthused about the GWR 51XX which I think is going to look good under the Farish body. It weighs a lot and there is room for a big motor. Will need to etch a valence and footsteps though as these really let down the Farish offering. which is otherwise pretty good above the footplate.

Not so enthused that apparently the Terrier and J39 are not selling too many in the Association shop :-(

Chris 

• RMweb Gold

I have built a Terrier and am looking to do a couple more although not interested in the J39.

I will certainly be up for a 'tanner-oner', I have a spare body waiting. I did have two but gave one to John G who has already built the new chassis. The body. once the cast handrails are removed, is very good.

Jerry

post-1074-0-89327700-1448471916_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I have built a Terrier and am looking to do a couple more although not interested in the J39.

I will certainly be up for a 'tanner-oner', I have a spare body waiting. I did have two but gave one to John G who has already built the new chassis. The body. once the cast handrails are removed, is very good.

Jerry

That's the general idea - mine drives off the front axle though. This loco has the great advantage that the bodies are widely available at reasonable prices. I have one in BR early black which looks great and I hope will only need touching up where the handrails are removed.

For the pedants amongst you, I looked closely at the rivets on the Farish body and concluded that it is a based on an 81XX - the earlier locos had a different shape of internal coal bunker which reflects in the rivet pattern.

Chris

Edited by Chris Higgs

• RMweb Gold

I have a 51xx with a chassis built a few  (a bout 30 years ago) but it could do with better connecting rod and slidebars would these be included in the chassis?

I could do with a terrier  and M7 chassis too but am aware that the 'to do' box is getting rather full. It is rather nice to have these items available.

Don

Have you built it from the etch or are you meaning your original from which I took inspiration?

If the latter, the LBSCR Journal is looking to so an article on the etch and perhaps you have some photos?

Chris

• RMweb Gold

Have you built it from the etch or are you meaning your original from which I took inspiration?

If the latter, the LBSCR Journal is looking to so an article on the etch and perhaps you have some photos?

Chris

Both, I rather like Terriers! I have been contacted by somebody from the LBSC Society and will take some photos when I build the etch. I have managed to get hold of another couple of bodies so intend doing two more for the NSLR, one of which I want to convert back to near original condition with the shorter smokebox and flair on the saddle etc.

Jerry

Not so enthused that apparently the Terrier and J39 are not selling too many in the Association shop :-(

I've been 'waiting' for the 2-6-2T (and also the 2-8-0) that you mentioned too. This has given me time to nearly finish my new workshop and read some DCC manuals around Daddy duties.

Edited by richbrummitt

It could do that, if done to 1:148 scale. Certainly the Farish lower half is far too wide and needs a replacement, and this would be a much easier solution to build than the etched replacement outside frames in my conversion chassis.

Or equally it *might* be something to use with the 2mm 08 and 11 kits if done to 1:152.4. The kit requires a combination of etched frames, whitemetal castings and a PCB footplate, and this could replace them all, and at a stroke remove the issue of isolating a metal bufferbeam from a split frame construction - which required another piece of PCB.

It is almost a decade now since the 08 and 11 kits were released, and technology has moved on.

This morning I have added the sandboxes to the artwork. Much easier to do than I had thought

attachicon.gifClass 08 chassis 3.png

attachicon.gifClass 08 chassis 4.png

Chris 

Shapeways had a Black Friday sale and so these and a number of other items got sent off to be made.

Including some more radical ideas that I will only unveil if they turn out not to be an abject failure.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

It could do that, if done to 1:148 scale. Certainly the Farish lower half is far too wide and needs a replacement, and this would be a much easier solution to build than the etched replacement outside frames in my conversion chassis.

Or equally it *might* be something to use with the 2mm 08 and 11 kits if done to 1:152.4. The kit requires a combination of etched frames, whitemetal castings and a PCB footplate, and this could replace them all, and at a stroke remove the issue of isolating a metal bufferbeam from a split frame construction - which required another piece of PCB.

It is almost a decade now since the 08 and 11 kits were released, and technology has moved on.

This morning I have added the sandboxes to the artwork. Much easier to do than I had thought

attachicon.gifClass 08 chassis 3.png

attachicon.gifClass 08 chassis 4.png

Chris 

These parts case from Shapeways yesterday. They really look great, are plenty strong enough and don't need any cleaning up, having been printed in Shapeways new highest resolution. I also have a pair for the Class 13, including the massive bufferbeams, Having bought a couple of the Farish 08 bodies that were on ebay recently, I don't have many excuses left not to build a pair.

The functional chassis seen in post 499 also came and is much stronger than I thought. It is designed to take the etched inside frames as an overlay and would remove the need for soldering in any frame spacers, of course it is not very heavy which is a downside.The motor mounts also have worked out a treat.

Chris

Chris,

Any idea when they will be available?

David

Well, I could put the cosmetic chassis to match the Farish body for sale on Shapeways straight away. I cannot imagine there are too many people that want them though.

I may talk to David Short about whether to include a 2mm version in the new releases of the Association 08 kit. It would avoid having to include both the whitemetal detail castings and the PCB footplate.

The functional chassis is more of a proof of concept.

Chris

• RMweb Premium
Chris Higgs, on 17 Dec 2015 - 17:28, said:

Well, I could put the cosmetic chassis to match the Farish body for sale on Shapeways straight away. I cannot imagine there are too many people that want them though.

Chris

Oh I don't know, I'd give one a try. I've got a couple of those bodies from Rails. Got the chassis, got the wheels, got the motor, got the gears . . .

David

Oh I don't know, I'd give one a try. I've got a couple of those bodies from Rails. Got the chassis, got the wheels, got the motor, got the gears . . .

David

I have enabled these for sale on Shapeways, along with some of my other items. Go to www.shapeways.com, and search for higgscc,  it should show them.

• 3 weeks later...

Encouraged by the prototypes, I have sent off a new batch of 3D printed chassis blocks to Shapeways. Here's my latest take on a GWR 2251, complete with as cantilever gear box which should prove to be much less prone to flexing than the etched version.

Chris

post-1605-0-60117500-1451895674.png

post-1605-0-50334400-1451895857.png

Edited by Chris Higgs

Encouraged by the prototypes, I have sent off a new batch of 3D printed chassis blocks to Shapeways. Here's my latest take on a GWR 2251, complete with as cantilever gear box which should prove to be much less prone to flexing than the etched version.

Chris

attachicon.gifGWR_2251.png

attachicon.gifGWR_2251_2.png

Looks interesting.

Couple of questions: what will it be printed in, and will it be strong enough (I presume you bush the axle/gear shaft holes).

Mark A.

Looks interesting.

Couple of questions: what will it be printed in, and will it be strong enough (I presume you bush the axle/gear shaft holes).

Mark A.

Printed in WSF. The prototypes I have (57XX and Class 08) are very strong and stable, much more so than an etched equivalent. For example, the cantilever gearbox shown is in 1mm and 2mm thickness, compared to 0.5mm on an etched version.

The gear shaft will be bushed. For the axles, my plan is to use the current etched sideframes as in effect overlays, with the bushes in. This sorts the pickup problem, and also provides a metal base to attach the brakeblocks to - WSF is not good at all with small holes such as 0.5mm. There is very little soldering required (which is just as well given what the block is made of!).

The only downsides are

1. the chassis is light - not so much an issue if the body is heavy like a Farish 57XX or J94, and no issue at all for a tender.

2. There is no possibility of applying Simpson springing.

The prices and 3 day turnaround from Shapeways is also very liberating compared to how long I have to wait for etches to be done.

Chris

Edited by Chris Higgs

Have you looked at using the SLS stainless steel from shapeways?  I'm not sure if it would help but it might solve the weight and soldering heat resistance problems of wsf.   It is more expensive but it isn't as bad as their cast brass and holds similar detail to wsf.

Have you looked at using the SLS stainless steel from shapeways?  I'm not sure if it would help but it might solve the weight and soldering heat resistance problems of wsf.   It is more expensive but it isn't as bad as their cast brass and holds similar detail to wsf.

The design would be more complicated, a wholly solid metal chassis isn't going to work. But that is probably do-able.  The other question is whether it is accurate enough. Also there is the issue of minimum thicknesses. I was going to try my loco wheels in stainless steel, until it informed all the spokes had to be at least 1mm thick...

I am also thinking of leaving slots in the WSF chaasis into which bits of lead can be inserted. Or if I speak nicely to Tim, plutonium or similar.

Chris

Edited by Chris Higgs

The design would be more complicated, a wholly solid metal chassis isn't going to work. But that is probably do-able.  The other question is whether it is accurate enough. Also there is the issue of minimum thicknesses. I was going to try my loco wheels in stainless steel, until it informed all the spokes had to be at least 1mm thick...

I am also thinking of leaving slots in the WSF chaasis into which bits of lead can be inserted. Or if I speak nicely to Tim, plutonium or similar.

Chris

Interesting, Chris. Would the frames need to be assembled in a jig (as the etched chassis are) or is the printing accurate enough to allow the frames to be located by some other means?

I assume that you could also produce a gearbox that is supported on both sides (as the printed material is non-conductive). Obviously there would need to be slots to allow the gearwheel and worm to be assembled, but it should be quite a bit more rigid than the cantilever arrangement in theory.

Andy