Gelert reaches Beddgelert on Welsh Highland Railway

John M

Perhaps the bset kept secret in the Narrow Gauge World is out the Festiniog and WHRL ran a test train last Saturday evening from Gelerts Farm Works onto the Welsh Highland Railway to carry out brake tests in the Nantmor area,

The five coach train was double headed by the WHRLs Bagnall 0-4-2T Gelert and visiting Barclay 0-6-0T Gretude. The train ran to Halfod y Llyn where Gelert appears to have been detatched to run light engine to Beddgelert before returning to perform brake testswith the train on the 1:40 Nantmor bank.

The tests appear to have been successful and train returned to Portmadoc at approximately 22:30

http://www.photobox.co.uk/slideshow?album_id=809906524

John

This should help both out as the current TT means that you leave Port on the first train and have to wait for the last one of the day to get back. Sensible running arrangements will probably follow this test I do hope so.

Guest Phil

Fascinating stuff

Presume all of the WHHR stock is air braked then as opposed to vacuum on WHR/FR, how about Russell ?

Thanks for posting

Presume all of the WHHR stock is air braked then as opposed to vacuum on WHR/FR, how about Russell ?

Well, since it's currently in bits, neither, but earlier, in working preservation photos you can certainly see a vacuum pipe on the front...

Adam

This should help both out as the current TT means that you leave Port on the first train and have to wait for the last one of the day to get back. Sensible running arrangements will probably follow this test I do hope so.

This is being solved by the use of a FR set running between Porthmadog and Pont Croesor between its trips up to Bleanau.

http://www.festrail.co.uk/content/publish/whrnews/Summer_timetable.shtml

Chris

• RMweb Gold

Russell was dual braked by Boston Lodge when it visited us twice in the 80's so it could work FR stock which it did as far as Rhiw Goch.

The vac brake bits were FR kit so I presume it didnt stay on Russell.

I have a part remembered recollection that suggests the vac ejector may have been the one we had in stock for Palmerston but I may be mixing up memories

Paul Martin

Archived