My 2mm FS work

Valentin

Thank you all!

Nice one Valetine, the chassis looks particularly neat. Have you chemically blackened it or painted it?

Pix

I have used the Aerosol Etch Primer which I bought from eBay and a couple of touches with a permanent marker (as this was the first time I have used this product I was afraid not to spray too much primer and there were a few blank spots left).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I am trying another approach to tie-bars / TOUs, this time using motors and not manual operation.

The tie-bar is a PCB timber seated on the edge; I used 0.3 mm phosphor-bronze wire to fit the blades to the tie-bar and a copper tube (wire-in-tube, Mercontrol) soldered to the tie-bar to transmit the movement from the motor+TOU; I am going to use Cobalt motors.

IMG_20131220_132300.jpg

IMG_20131220_130822.jpg

I soldered two electrical feeds to each rail segment by drilling 0.8 mm holes into the sleepers and 3 mm holes into the baseboard. The point is glued in place using Easitrac glue.

IMG_20131228_134351.jpg

The following picture was taken before fitting the wires to the turnout.

IMG_20131228_130559.jpg

• 7 months later...

I used the Association jig to solder the PCB spacers and the steel rods to check the parallelism:

IMG_20140812_135602.jpg

and I got this:

IMG_20140812_163945.jpg

Then I've got to the stage where the free running is usually checked. As I had no coupling rods I did the test without them and everything seems fine:

IMG_20140812_170602.jpg

The bores for the wheels stubs are 1.6 mm. All the muffs have the bores slightly enlarged using a 1.51 drill bit.

@John: we have a meeting this Thursday at Nonington from 7 PM.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Great progress Valentin and good to see you at the AGM on Saturday. I thought your J94 ran superbly on Tucking Mill.

Jerry

I have to agree the J94 ran beautifully  on Haverhill  at the  AGM and every local area meet Valentin appears with a chassis running like silk  

I only wish my own modelling had developed as far 

BTW Tucking Mills is a beauty

Hi Valentin I wish that I'd known that you were there I would have said hi as we only live a few miles apart

That tender looks very nice

John

Hello John,

We will meet eventually  :yes:

Thank you all for your nice words! As for John, this AGM was my first one; I have met many of the Association members at other events and exhibition though. But having the chance to admire five beautiful layouts together with so many models built at such high standards and all in the same place!!!... It was like a modeller's heaven for me!

• 1 month later...

I made some progress with the tender for the Class C. In fact, I think the next step will be to add all the details: brake hose, buffers, brake gear, lamp irons, rear panel steps (2). As usual, the close-up photographs are cruel but I am very pleased how all the parts came together, with very clean soldering.

IMG_20141206_210823.jpg

IMG_20141206_210835.jpg

IMG_20141206_210851.jpg

Thank you, Gareth. I put an order for these to Nick Tilston and thanks to his great service I will be getting them probably tomorrow.

Very soon I will be starting to build the locomotive body; unlike the first kit which I built a few months ago, this is Nickel-Silver and not brass (I like more N/S as the brass alloy spreads the heat from the iron very fast).

On this first built I hadn't used the parts marked "1" in the picture below. I know they are intended for the boiler but how exactely should I use them?

Andrew%2BCox%2B-%2BC%2BClass%2Bfret.JPG

That's what I thought but should they be soldered to the barrel? If so, how to solder when the barrel is fully rolled?

Anyway, I might use only one, at the fire-box end of the boiler so I can solder it all way around.

Meanwhile, more details (tender filler, axle boxes and rear steps):

IMG_20141214_172316.jpg

IMG_20141214_172308.jpg

Lamp irons, brake gear and hose, and buffers to come...

And the brake rods:

IMG_20141220_204952.jpg

IMG_20141220_205011.jpg

Before fitting the rods I would have thought soldering a few this strips of scrap N/S is a very simple operation. After many hours of work and a few failed attempts (I didn't like the end result and I started again) I can say: "How wrong I was!".

Even now I'm not 100% happy (see the middle rod on the near side) although I'm not going to start again. Or, should I?...

Archived