The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Fence preservative recommendations

chris p bacon

• RMweb Gold

Get one, if you use a 'thin' preservative, it'll save you a lot of time and effort, pick one up for less than £20 quid.

I hate those bloomin sprayers, I have a site where the neighbour uses one each year on his fence, I'm sure it looks nice on his side but the amount of overspray is ridiculous, I have had to have words with him about using it and suggested he brushes the top 6 inches so as not to fire spray over the top onto brickwork. He doesn't think its a problem so I offered to spray his house the same colour to see how he likes it!

Brushing it on gives it a far more generous coat of stain and consequently a better job.

I hate those bloomin sprayers, I have a site where the neighbour uses one each year on his fence, I'm sure it looks nice on his side but the amount of overspray is ridiculous, I have had to have words with him about using it and suggested he brushes the top 6 inches so as not to fire spray over the top onto brickwork. He doesn't think its a problem so I offered to spray his house the same colour to see how he likes it!

Brushing it on gives it a far more generous coat of stain and consequently a better job.

I has a go with one of them sprayers when ther was a very light breeze. Job done but a car with loverly green specs.

I'm not talking about using it for a stain but a very thin clear preservative, if sprayed correctly there would be next to no overspray. If you're talking about one of those battery powered fence paint sprayers, I'd be in full agreement with you, absolute rubbish.