New Bryford - the Final Countdown.

newbryford

• RMweb Premium

Regarding timescales and groundbreaking when in comparison to Nick Gurneys Dyserth Road  was NB out and about? - Nicks effort was quite a benchmark back then.

Good to see NB will be on the circuit still.

Ian

Dead Smurf Rd probably appeared on the scene as NB was waving it's first goodbye in 1999. 

We had Tontine St Goods next to Dead Smurf at Blackburn in 2002. Nick was operating Lenz then and watching that persuaded us to use Lenz on Blackmill.

I rewired DR for the new owner when Nick sold it on - it was originally DC and had loads of section switches. I could probably have made a few quid weighing in the excess copper............

Cheers,

Mick

Regarding timescales and groundbreaking when in comparison to Nick Gurneys Dyserth Road  was NB out and about? - Nicks effort was quite a benchmark back then.

Good to see NB will be on the circuit still.

Ian

Mick said on here it was provisionally sold, not that it would remain on the exhibition circuit.  Whether it remains on the exhibition circuit depends on the new owner (which isn't me).

Great News Mick,

Good to see another of the “modern image” classics that inspired me live in.

Cheers

Mark

I think it would always find a buyer - I was just too slow to get in there with a bid.  However, whilst I won't be trying to fit New Bryford into my attic, I'm now seriously contemplating abandoning my previous plans and trying to copy the concept of New Bryford, so it may inspire me as much as it has done you. 

Trackwork is all Peco - Code 75 medium electrofrog in the scenic sections and Code 100 short insulfrog in the storage yards. Minimum radius is nominally 2'6" but there is one tiny section that is marginally sharper.

How did you handle the transition between Code 75 and Code 100 - did you use the special converter pieces that Peco market (SL-113) or just pack under the Code 75 at the join to bring the rail heads in line?  What was the rational for using Code 100 in the fiddle yard: more robust, or simply you had some available?

• RMweb Premium

How did you handle the transition between Code 75 and Code 100 - did you use the special converter pieces that Peco market (SL-113) or just pack under the Code 75 at the join to bring the rail heads in line?  What was the rational for using Code 100 in the fiddle yard: more robust, or simply you had some available?

I did use the adapters and found that they weren't good on a curve as the 100 tried to "straighten" the joint, They were quickly reinforced with track pins holding the rails in place and have served well ever since (kiss of death time)

Code 75 shorts weren't available at the time and I wanted to reduce the space taken up by points in the fiddle yard. I did also have a few lengths of Code 100 flexi available.

Cheers,

Mick

Mick said on here it was provisionally sold, not that it would remain on the exhibition circuit.  Whether it remains on the exhibition circuit depends on the new owner (which isn't me).

I think it would always find a buyer - I was just too slow to get in there with a bid.  However, whilst I won't be trying to fit New Bryford into my attic, I'm now seriously contemplating abandoning my previous plans and trying to copy the concept of New Bryford, so it may inspire me as much as it has done you. 

You more or less answered  - cheaper  - more robust (no flex) and doesn't look like trainset track "out front"

I did use the adapters and found that they weren't good on a curve as the 100 tried to "straighten" the joint, They were quickly reinforced with track pins holding the rails in place and have served well ever since (kiss of death time)

Code 75 shorts weren't available at the time and I wanted to reduce the space taken up by points in the fiddle yard. I did also have a few lengths of Code 100 flexi available.

Cheers,

Mick

Useful, that. I will be using Code 100 in my fiddle yards, simply because I have a load, bought before I thought Code 75 would be better, which was then bought before I thought Code 83 would be even better (mainly because of the much smoother radius B8 pointwork). Combine this with the purchase of Code 75 BH for the sidings, and I have a lot of transitions to work out....

• RMweb Premium

We have had a number of offers and can now say that subject to a few details being sorted, New Bryford is now sold.

Cheers,

Mick

Will you now be changing your username to The Modeller Formerly Known As Newbryford? 

The Modeller Formerly Known As Newbryford's mostly yellow workbench?

I don't think so.............

:no:

Cheers,

Mick

In Jamaica they have a Reggae artist known as "Yellowman"

That title may well suit you Mick !!!

"The OO Yellowman"

Although I have heard that getting a Note (£) out of you is proving difficult !!!

Lol

Cheers

Paul.

• RMweb Gold

Useful, that. I will be using Code 100 in my fiddle yards, simply because I have a load, bought before I thought Code 75 would be better, which was then bought before I thought Code 83 would be even better (mainly because of the much smoother radius B8 pointwork). Combine this with the purchase of Code 75 BH for the sidings, and I have a lot of transitions to work out....

Copperclad, brass pins and lots of solder are your friend Mike!

Mike.

In Jamaica they have a Reggae artist known as "Yellowman"

That title may well suit you Mick !!!

"The OO Yellowman"

Although I have heard that getting a Note (£) out of you is proving difficult !!!

Lol

Cheers

Paul

I wonder if calling you Doctor Yellow would suit you?

Well...its the name of a departmental shinkansen...and it's yellow!

But I think you would prefer being named after something British....?

Jules

• RMweb Premium

Thinking about the ceremonial "last train" for Glasgow.

When Blackmill was retired from the exhibition circuit a few years ago, the last train to run was a 220 Virgin Voyager  - this was the same set that had been the first to traverse the entire length of the layout when it was first built.

However, I can't recall what the first was on New Bryford. In either it's first incarnation or the latest.

The one rule I am sticking to is - it won't be yellow.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Gold

How about making some flashing possession limit boards and worksite marker boards just before the bridge and run some empty salmons and coalfish up to them in readiness for a possession to start in the station area lifting the track

Also park some OTP in the warehouse yard waiting for the possession to begin

• RMweb Premium

How about making some flashing possession limit boards and worksite marker boards just before the bridge and run some empty salmons and coalfish up to them in readiness for a possession to start in the station area lifting the track

Also park some OTP in the warehouse yard waiting for the possession to begin

I have twin jib crane and a rake of YKA Ospreys....................................

Thinking about the ceremonial "last train" for Glasgow.

When Blackmill was retired from the exhibition circuit a few years ago, the last train to run was a 220 Virgin Voyager  - this was the same set that had been the first to traverse the entire length of the layout when it was first built.

However, I can't recall what the first was on New Bryford. In either it's first incarnation or the latest.

The one rule I am sticking to is - it won't be yellow.

Cheers,

Mick

Last train got to be Thomas the tank...at 150mph!

• 3 weeks later...

How it was pre extention days...12vDC .... none of this new fangle 'D double C'  as dcc  was described by a member of public at BRM Doncaster show recently!

(Sorry if you are reading this post sir...you made me chuckle all weekend!)

...lima Mk2s with wheel flanges turned in a battery drill! Take that EM boys...!

Lima 08 with impetus undercarage...

AAAAHhhhh take me back when the only sounds where lima grinding gears....deep flanges tip toeing through the code 75 points and chairs..........and the sound of operators farting on Sunday afternoon after a weekend of beer and curry! Good luck the weekend boys enjoy.

G20190219_222419.jpg.6e69c5f1a7a2982e1352e2be11385a09.jpg

Archived