Portland Grove

McGomez

Guest Dave.C
Firstly, Happy New Year to all who stumble across this update.

I didn't exactly stumble as I have been here before.

That certainly is some retaining wall, I am sorry that I cannot help you with evidence of something that high, perhaps a question posed in the prototype section will give you a positive result.

Thanks for coming back Arte.

I´ll put a separate thread up as you say and see what people have to say.

Here is a picture of a column (the left hand one) I did last night with flat concrete capping. I think it looks better. What do you think?

I´ve still got to cover the top part of the wall with more brick paper.

I placed the DMU in the photo to put the height of the wall into perspective.

I wonder if anyone has a bungy jumper on their layout?

post-7244-0-15312300-1325599147_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

March update.

Although I haven´t done any updates for a couple of months, I have actually been plugging away on various bits and pieces.

I finished off the 2 metre section of wall that I mentioned in the previous post. I´ve still got to finish off another 2 sections of retaining wall, each about 1m long, either side of this centre wall.

I asked about the possibility of anyone knowing if there are actually any scale 17 metre high walls in the UK on a separate thread and it seems they are pretty thin on the ground.

If there was a possibility of such a wall it looks like it would have to be built with engineers blue brick.

Never mind. The wall stays.

Here is a picture of the finished section. I chose to go with the angled capping stones in the end. They are a bit too white so will receive some weathering at some time.

post-7244-0-62183100-1331558256_thumb.jpg

The wall is attached to a simple aluminium structure with Velcro which means it can be easily removed incase of derailments. A flat piece of aluminium panel sits on top of this structure.

post-7244-0-88700100-1331558307_thumb.jpg

As can be seen in the views above, I made a start on the platform structures too. These were fabricated from 3mm “Dibondâ€, composite aluminium panel once again that I can get my hands on at work.

This material is relatively light and in thin strips, can be bent easily. I cut strips of 14mm and used grey mastic that I had laying about in the garage to bond it all together. It works, but contact adhesive would be a better choice. The cross members were made from the same material.

In the view below, the position of the footbridge can be seen. This exits the retaining wall with steps leading to the 2 island platforms. The station building will be sited on the flat panel where the Peak can be seen with a subterranean staircase descending to where the footbridge exits the retaining wall.

post-7244-0-98207200-1331558360_thumb.jpg

In the view below you can see how this material holds its shape. I could pick the 2400mm long structure up with one hand and with minimum flexing.

post-7244-0-73432200-1331558412_thumb.jpg

Scalescenes brick paper has been stuck to the sides of the platform structures. I still have to form some 2mm acilyc sheet for the platform tops.

like the renfe 333 diesel's

Thanks BRCW.

As you can see from the second from last photo, they are good for weighting things down. Especially the yellow/grey version as it tips the scales at 800g.

• 3 weeks later...

April Update. (#1)

Another lighting unit.

This lighting unit was actually done back in January/February but I forgot to include it in the last update.

Before I made a start on point motor installation, one of the things that needed improving was the lighting for the middle board. The fluorescent tube that lit it was the original light from when the garage served as a garage, and gave off a pretty weak glow.

This board sits in the middle of the garage and is surrounded by the rest of the layout on 3 sides and the viaduct on the 4th side and serves to raise the tracks from the fiddle yard base level to the station level.

It will eventually be home to a small, rundown suburban terminus and a loco depot.

As the rest of the layout had been lit with home made lighting units made from offcuts of “Dibond†and fluorescent tubes, I didn’t want to change a winning formula especially as the materials were free. (Damaged stock from work)

These panels can be routed, or in this case run through a flat bed saw and the sides bent into place. The corners were reinforced with some aluminium angle and the whole thing suspended from the ceiling with chain.

post-7244-0-62757700-1333321294_thumb.jpg

The unit measures 2750 x 1200mm and weighs roughly 19kg. There are 2 x 58w fluorescent tubes on each of the long sides and set close against the verticals which help concentrate the light downwards.

The sides which are 150mm deep are set just low enough so as not to dazzle my eyes when standing.

post-7244-0-06964900-1333321400_thumb.jpg

The view below shows the chains suspending the lighting rig from the ceiling.

post-7244-0-61025300-1333321575_thumb.jpg

The image below shows the connection from the main line on the left hand side to the centre board via (what will be) a curved viaduct.

post-7244-0-93451300-1333321695_thumb.jpg

April Update. (#2)

Point control panel.

Up until now I haven’t said anything about the point control method used. Probably due to the embarrassing lack of any, if the truth be told.

Index finger and thumb was as technical as it got. Setting a route through the fiddle yard could be a bit of a pain, mainly on the knees as I had to crawl under bits of the layout to get to the points or send my youngest son!

I have been thinking about how to change the points on the layout ever since I started building it but I’ve been torn between DC and DCC control methods.

I really like to see the slow motion point changing via Tortoise point motors but the cheaper PM1 SEEP point motor would be a bit lighter on the pocket.

I tested a Lenz LS150 accessory decoder last year and connected 6 SEEP PM1s but only having the ability to change points via my NCE throttle left me a bit cold. There was a bit too much button pressing even though I could have put together a “macro†and made up a route, firing various PMs, one after the other.

I also bought an NCE SwitchIt accessory decoder and a couple of Tortoise stall motors to see if these would fit the bill.

The Tortoise motors won at the end of the day.

Although the NCE instructions advise that 2 Tortoise PMs can be wired together off 1 output of the SwitchIt, they don’t guarantee it. In my case they work without problems.

With the NCE SwitchIt you can also have the best of both worlds. Changing the points from either your throttle or via a button on a control panel.

The control panel design has been continually evolving for over a year now. I was initially going to go with just 1 large panel, positioned above the site of the station at head height. That is alright if there is just one operator but it could get crowded if say 2 of my mates came over for an operating session so I decided I would split the control into 3 panels. (There are about 3 metres between the 3 panels, so I won’t wear out too many shoes when walking between them if I do have a solo operating session.)

A. PG South Junction, located adjacent to the South Junction.

post-7244-0-88384500-1333322590_thumb.jpg

B. PG North Junction, located adjacent to the North Junction.

post-7244-0-26588100-1333325289_thumb.jpg

C. PG Fiddle Yard. Located above the station which in turn, is located above the fiddle yard.

post-7244-0-25602100-1333324714_thumb.jpg

The numbers in the small rectangular boxes are the accessory decoder address numbers allocated to each point motor.

Push to make buttons connected to the NCE SwitchIt are used to change the points and 2 LEDs wired back to back in series within the Tortoise PM circuit, show the direction the points are set. 4 LEDs in the case of cross-overs.

I fabricated 3 hingeable steel frames at 700 x 320mm each and screwed them to the ceiling as there isn’t much space to install them at baseboard height.

The 3 panels were designed using Corel Draw and were printed off onto white sticky vinyl by a signmaker freind who owed me a favour and stuck on to more Dibond composite panels.

post-7244-0-39968800-1333324069_thumb.jpg

Sticky vinyl stuck to composite panels and panels screwed to hingeable frames.

post-7244-0-09558600-1333324174.jpg

A DCC supply was taken up to each of the control panels and fixed into a choc block on the rear of these panels.

post-7244-0-16161800-1333323807.jpg

This image shows the straight ahead route chosen.

post-7244-0-42249900-1333323894.jpg

This photo shows the route into the PW sidings.

post-7244-0-27568100-1333323964.jpg

Here is a video showing the panels and point motors in action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdElVw0TMYI

Now, I really should start thinking how and where I´m going to put the signals..... :jester:

Hi Andy,

The retaining walls look really good especially with the 105 next to it, I quite fancy one of those myself! What about the Stratford Green one? I really did like that one…..

Loving Portland Grove station, did I spot 37501 on BDAs? The control panels are a bit special too, looking forward to seeing more updates.

Great work, I feel another visit coming on!

Hi Alex.

The weather is warming up a bit now although I believe it was hotter in the UK last week than it was here. It snowed on the mountains around here heavily a couple of weeks ago and this evening we had a heavy hail storm so maybe wise to leave it a month more before you return. :sungum: You know you are always welcome here.

I do remember the Stratford green 105 but only ever saw it in pictures. Could it be one of these DMUs in the background that got the repaint?

03161 at Stratford during the early 80s.

The wiring of the fiddle yard control panel is this Easters project. Hoping to install the point motors whilst the wife is out watching the processions.

Well spotted with regards 37501. The BDAs were on special at the Signal Box over Xmas and Santa provided the excuse.

Here is a video of 37501/502 deputising for a failed Grid :no: on a MGR.

My mate Steve brought his mini camera round and this was the result. A round the layout "chase me" video with sound effects supplied by 37410 with a Bass speaker in the tanks and a standard round 23mm on top of the chassis.

Thanks to Kev Pearson for providing the instructions on how to do the install in an old copy of Model Rail. I wouldn´t have attempted it without reading them beforehand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rkbSileND4

very impressive video of the layout great veiwing

david

Thanks David.

Although I want to crack on and get the fiddle yard points under DCC control this long weekend, I might have a play with the mini camera once again.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Andy,

None yet, am using Cobalt digital motors, so creating a push button panel would be (in theory) relatively straightforward...

You are giving me lots of inspiration!

Hi Andy,

None yet, am using Cobalt digital motors, so creating a push button panel would be (in theory) relatively straightforward...

You are giving me lots of inspiration!

McC.

The rate at which you work, you might be giving me some inspiration soon.

The push button operated points are pretty straight forward with the NCE Switch-It´s I used.

I presume you can put LEDs in series with a Cobalt to show the point direction in the same way you can do it with a Tortoise?

Loved the Tamper video. Watched it a few times now.

Andy

• RMweb Gold

Yes, you can pop leds and push buttons right into the cobalt, very very simple for a panel!

Cheers on the work rate :) Have been a bit slower than I'd like the last week :)

I love the veissman tamper - is a real work of art and has to be right up there in terms of 'greatest' model of recent times!

That was a great video - loved the captions.....!

Very impressed with everything - but particularly the station and big wall.

Looking forward to seeing you detail the backgrounds etc.

You can come finish mine when you finish (that will probably be Christmas at your rate)

Stuart

You can come finish mine when you finish (that will probably be Christmas at your rate)

Stuart

Hi Stuart.

Luckily you did´t quote which year!

I´m not the fastest of layout builders, I can assure you. Mind you I´ve been pretty motivated this year. Don´t know why?

Maybe because I´m fed up with looking at the layout with no scenery? I´m looking forward to that too.

I´m terrible for starting projects like the retaining wall, then the platform "footings" etc and then moving on to something completely different?

Glad you liked the video.

Here are a couple of photos of the reverse side of the fiddle yard panel with 20 LEDs and a NCE Switch8 accesory decoder to control the left hand side points. So far I´ve routed 10 pairs of wires to control the 10 points and started to connect them to the accesory decoder.

post-7244-0-45768900-1333841718.jpg

post-7244-0-02561800-1333842022.jpg

All the best.

• 4 months later...

Hi Andy,

Thanks for putting up with me on Friday. It was great to meet you and see Portland Grove in the flesh. Next time I come we may run more trains rather than chewing the cud for so long. The UK is a little cooler than Murcia! Socks and Long trousers are the order of the day.

Now, about your wife's offer of coming for Christmas..........!

Talk soon matey.

Wayne

• 2 months later...

First of all I´d better say thanks to Wayne (aka 50042) for the visit at the end of August.

I thought I´d replied here already but my memory isn´t what it once was!!!

We didn’t run too many trains but at least we sorted the worlds problems out!

You will be pleased to know that today it has been raining all day. Infact it has been raining on and off for the past two weeks.

Looks more Maidstone than Murcia.

As tomorrow will be 8 months since I last posted, I thought I´d upload a photo of some progress. This panel was actually finished during the summer.

Here is a picture of the back of the fiddle yard control panel with 2 x NCE Switch 8s, 2 x Switch its, 1 x Mini panel and a lot of wires.

The amazing bit is that it works too!

post-7244-0-33424200-1352314758_thumb.jpg

Portland North panel has also been wired up and is fully operational but I haven´t used a Mini Panel on that one. I set the points one by one.

post-7244-0-85231800-1352314901_thumb.jpg

Once the video I am uploading is ready to go I´ll link it in here.

Thanks for the comments guys.

There are no plans for a UK visit for the moment Alex. It is not so much the economics but the lack of decent flight times over and back.

Here is the promised video with my index finger setting the route out of road 1.

Unfortunately the points are on a curve so you can only see 2 actually changing.

The NCE Mini Panel was set up to throw the points at 2 second intervals.

http://youtu.be/T-EFXOUz_1s

As you can hear, my music tastes are firmly stuck in the early 80s along with my preferred BR Blue era although I must admit to now owning a kettle!!

Guest Linthorpe

Wow, every day brings another great topic to the top of the pile. You certainly have a massive project on your hands, your music is right in my era :sungum:

Archived