Cornish clay

• 2 months later...

A question for the cornish colective

What date would be sutable for ECC to start to repaint their wagon inherited from its constituant companies? Also what date would the process of repainting finished?

What I know :

• ECC formed 1919
  • ECC order new wagons for clay in 1924
  • North Cornwall CC and North and Rose used 3plk wagons
  • West of England CC used 5plk wagons
  • ECC used 4 and 5plk wagons with raised ends for coal

Marc

• RMweb Premium

A question for the cornish colective

What date would be sutable for ECC to start to repaint their wagon inherited from its constituant companies? Also what date would the process of repainting finished?

What I know :

• ECC formed 1919
  • ECC order new wagons for clay in 1924
  • North Cornwall CC and North and Rose used 3plk wagons
  • West of England CC used 5plk wagons
  • ECC used 4 and 5plk wagons with raised ends for coal
Marc
I'm probably being pedantic, and having looked up

Wikipedia I can see where you got your info from,

but I think you'll find the company

that was formed in 1919 was not ECC,

but ECLP, a merger of 3 companies

English Clays, Lovering, and Pochin.

I can't remember exactly when this became ECC,

but I'm fairly sure it was still ECLP in the 60's.

If you were thinking in terms of wagon markings,

it probably doesn't make much difference as

I think the company logo stayed the same,

I'm probably being pedantic, and having looked up

Wikipedia I can see where you got your info from,

but I think you'll find the company

that was formed in 1919 was not ECC,

but ECLP, a merger of 3 companies

English Clays, Lovering, and Pochin.

I can't remember exactly when this became ECC,

but I'm fairly sure it was still ECLP in the 60's.

If you were thinking in terms of wagon markings,

it probably doesn't make much difference as

I think the company logo stayed the same,

Not totally correct, ECC was formed in 1919, if you can be bothered to read it it is all here http://www.company-histories.com/English-China-Clays-plc-Company-History.html

• 2 months later...

I'm thinking of modelling a china clay plank as per 1995-2000...

Clearly there rakes of CDAs really varied in length at this time. Can anyone enlighten me to the regular most short cut of wagons and was there other loading points other than burngullow,parkandillack, treviscoe , marsh mills , par harbour and Heath field ( bagged clay ) ?

Just squeezing into your time period (it closed in 1996) was the Moorswater clay works, on the Looe branch. Due to the steep gradients from Coombe Junction to Liskeard rakes were limited to 8 CDAs behind a 37. I think trains were combined in the yard at Liskeard into longer rakes.

The most obvious loading point not mentioned yet was Rocks Dryer at Goonbarrow Junction on the Newquay branch. Always one of the largest works in the area and responsible for a lot of traffic. Other works still open in your period are Moorswater (as mentioned above) and Crugwallis, just round the corner from Burngullow on the branch.

Hope this is useful.

As the class 66 didn't reach Cornwall until 1999 I think during the period you wish to model you can run as short a rake of CDAs as you want. One/two wagon rakes weren't unheard of especially cripple moves to/from St.Blazey, . I think by then Goonbarrow only really dealt with CDAs, didn't really see other wagons types loaded there. Par Harbour never saw CDAs. Burngullow probably the most variety wagon wise and the only slurry loading point by then? Crugwallins just CDAs, these were short rakes. Treviscoe/Parkandillack used to see CDAs plus bagged and bulk powder. Moorswater just CDAs. Even when the class 66 came along at first some short rakes and wagons mixes were possible, attached pic of a 66 (yawn) with just 2 CDAs, 3 Cargowaggons then some JIA..

post-9183-0-19310400-1487604419_thumb.jpg

• 8 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Here are some pictures showing recent pictures from China clay installations in the South West. There seems to be a lot of interest in modelling these plants, and hopefully these pictures may give some inspiration. Please feel free to upload your own pictures, particularly in model form.

the photos below show 66169 at work in the Rocks plant at Goonbarrow in June 2011.

post-2613-0-88872200-1309284949.jpg

After an enjoyable hour last night spent looking through this thread (and others) for china clay inspiration for my cameo challenge layout, I have a quick question. 

Can anyone explain what is the purpose of the building in the back of the above photo?  I have a model of it that I built about 10 years ago which I am considering integrating into the new layout.  However in order that I use it appropriately, I need to know what it is actually doing and what connection is required between it and other buildings in the works. 

• 3 months later...

As the class 66 didn't reach Cornwall until 1999 I think during the period you wish to model you can run as short a rake of CDAs as you want. One/two wagon rakes weren't unheard of especially cripple moves to/from St.Blazey, . I think by then Goonbarrow only really dealt with CDAs, didn't really see other wagons types loaded there. Par Harbour never saw CDAs. Burngullow probably the most variety wagon wise and the only slurry loading point by then? Crugwallins just CDAs, these were short rakes. Treviscoe/Parkandillack used to see CDAs plus bagged and bulk powder. Moorswater just CDAs. Even when the class 66 came along at first some short rakes and wagons mixes were possible, attached pic of a 66 (yawn) with just 2 CDAs, 3 Cargowaggons then some JIA..

Slurry was also transferred from road tankers to rail wagons at Par Harbour. The attached picture taken around 2000 also shows that bagged clay was still loaded there, in addition to bulk clay in bogie hoppers.

post-29524-0-42843300-1517475144_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

All

Really loving this thread I am interested in China Clay operations and the wagons used from a different angle I model a Scottish Papermill which consumes lots of white gold.

I have a question which I hope somebody can answer I know China clay was unloaded at Mossend but I don't know where it was destined for after unloading a couple of books I have said local Papermills

Kind Regards

Dave

Archived