Peaks on the Waverley

DaveArkley

Only difficulty is filling in the door mouldings. That can be done carefully but its the filing flat that I found troublesome.

Easy does it then. She's looking good so far. How are you planning to glaze this?

Easy does it then. She's looking good so far. How are you planning to glaze this?

I just popped the original glazing out it, now put back in.

If you are wondering about glazing products for unusual window apertures then I can wholeheartedly recommend this product

http://www.microscale.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=MI-9&Category_Code=FINPROD&Product_Count=8

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

And a wee bit more detail about the left hand photo from Sandy Mullay's "Last Trains" series.

This was the first Up "Waverley" of summer 1968.

Camera was an Ilford Sportsman and the registration of the Velocette motor bike on the left was VRM 827 (£10 from Tiffen in Carlisle!). The bike actually went faster than a 300hp diesel shunter on the Kelso branch once.

Bruce

• 2 weeks later...

Nice road grime on the peak....grotty

Good to see BR were keeping their new traction in good shape to keep up the public image of the new 'clean' diesels, given the fairly early date of that shot!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Here is a photo I took of a Peak with my old Brownie box camera in April 1961, which surprisingly is not blurred unlike other action photos taken with the box camera.  The loco is D19 just leaving Carlisle on the down Waverley. According to Trains Illustrated, Peaks took over on all Leeds to Glasgow trains on April 17th 1961, so this must have been taken during the first week or so of diesels taking over. Note the lack of a yellow warning panel.

post-19218-0-51010300-1368098915_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

As far as I know Peaks took over on the Waverley Route during June 1961, a couple of months after the Leeds-Glasgows.

Looks like this photo was taken during one of the first runs up the line though, as driver training on Peaks between Carlisle & Hawick only commenced at the beginning of June 61, using a trainload of empty vans.

Good spot & good phot!

• Like 1

As far as I know Peaks took over on the Waverley Route during June 1961, a couple of months after the Leeds-Glasgows.

I'm not trying to start an argument (honest!) - just trying to check. Did the Peaks take over all Leeds-Glasgow trains that early? I saw 45562 in St.Enoch's on a train from Leeds on the last Saturday of the summer timetable of 1962, and read/heard somewhere that that was the last regular Leeds-Glasgow scheduled for steam haulage.

I'm not trying to start an argument (honest!) - just trying to check. Did the Peaks take over all Leeds-Glasgow trains that early? I saw 45562 in St.Enoch's on a train from Leeds on the last Saturday of the summer timetable of 1962, and read/heard somewhere that that was the last regular Leeds-Glasgow scheduled for steam haulage.

Dunno .. my research has been limited pretty much to the Waverley Route - I was assuming Flamingo (and Trains Illustrated) are correct.

Probably much the same way the the Carlisle - Edinburgh's weren't always Type 2 hauled even as late as Nov 67 when Brit 70022 Tornado took the 19.44 Carlisle - Edinburgh on 14/11/67, and that's just over a year before closure!

Sorry - I didn't notice that April 1961 date first appeared in Flamingo's post. I was referring to steam being rostered to Leeds-Glasgow trains. I know there were substitutions for failed diesels after that - I travelled on the Thames-Clyde behind steam as late as September 1965 -

http://www.flickr.com/photos/80572914@N06/7384056502/in/set-72157630154802550

http://www.flickr.com/photos/80572914@N06/7388736112/in/set-72157630165052272

but I think there was steam rostered to some regular Leeds-Glasgows after April 1961. Apart from 45562 which I saw, a very quick skim through some magazines turned up an A3 on a train from Leeds in the approaches to Glasgow in September 1961.   

Edited by pH
  • Like 1