Oxford diecast... whats next?

BROADTRAIN1979

• RMweb Gold

Would be very interesting to learn the prices- are they Scenix or Bachmann/Scaledale level?

Steve

Always assuming the pictures are of the production items, they are of a very high standard, so I'd expect the latter.

The terraced shop etc. look to be of a fairly "industry standard" level but the GWR water tower and the pub look better than almost any other r-t-p structures I've seen up to now.

John

Always assuming the pictures are of the production items, they are of a very high standard, so I'd expect the latter.

The terraced shop etc. look to be of a fairly "industry standard" level but the GWR water tower and the pub look better than almost any other r-t-p structures I've seen up to now.

John

If you look on Oxford Diecast web site home page and go to bottom right box Oxford Diecast 1.76 press view it shows 4 buildings  with price. GWR water tower £24.99, Hazel Cottage (not pub) £29.99 and both shops are £26.99

• RMweb Gold

If you look on Oxford Diecast web site home page and go to bottom right box Oxford Diecast 1.76 press view it shows 4 buildings  with price. GWR water tower £24.99, Hazel Cottage (not pub) £29.99 and both shops are £26.99

Thanks, at those prices I reckon they'll sell like hot cakes.

I assumed the cottage was the pub because the original release mentioned a "thatched cottage" and the model illustrated is obviously under slates. Fair sized cottage, too. 

John

The additions to the vehicle range are all welcome, though as the 60s - 80s are of more interest to me, I'd have preferred a JCB 3C rather than the 3CX from the late 80s - 90s.

The Tesco Leyland Octopus is actually a Beaver.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I'm a great fan of numerous Oxford Diecast's models and use a fair few for my railway period of the 1030s, as many of them are truly lovely and with just a little work (particularly de-glossing the finish), add graceful authentic detail to the period scene and they also represent very good value.

I like the way Oxford often represent actual vehicles, right down to the prototype's registration number and these are gems, which reflect some serious prototype research and quality control. Unfortunately not all of the new models pass the test for authentic detail. The Morris 1000 Traveller for example, while represented in superb colours and with good woodwork, simply doesn't sit happily on its wheels and looks at best, ungainly. This may be be rectified by adjusting the ride height and track, however the new Triumph TR4 is simply a mess. As a TR4 enthusiast, I was looking forward the this arrival, but the red example I saw on the Hattons site is a truly horrible representation of the car. I hope the new versions available to pre-order, at least sorts out the dreadful 'black gunky' grille and headlight surrounds and gets the colour of the dash board correct (all were painted white). Other details are astray and this just shows how wrong a manufacturer of otherwise excellently researched and executed models, can get it so wrong when prototype research is skimped, or in this case, probably skipped altogether. Sorry Oxford, but this one's a lame duck!

Bill

(Yep, I need to take this up with the manufacturer, so will do so)

Edited by longchap
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I'm a great fan of numerous Oxford Diecast's models and use a fair few for my railway period of the 1030s, as many of them are truly lovely and with just a little work (particularly de-glossing the finish), add graceful authentic detail to the period scene and they also represent very good value.

I like the way Oxford often represent actual vehicles, right down to the prototype's registration number and these are gems, which reflect some serious prototype research and quality control. Unfortunately not all of the new models pass the test for authentic detail. The Morris 1000 Traveller for example, while represented in superb colours and with good woodwork, simply doesn't sit happily on its wheels and looks at best, ungainly. This may be be rectified by adjusting the ride height and track, however the new Triumph TR4 is simply a mess. As a TR4 enthusiast, I was looking forward the this arrival, but the red example I saw on the Hattons site is a truly horrible representation of the car. I hope the new versions available to pre-order, at least sorts out the dreadful 'black gunky' grille and headlight surrounds and gets the colour of the dash board correct (all were painted white). Other details are astray and this just shows how wrong a manufacturer of otherwise excellently researched and executed models, can get it so wrong when prototype research is skimped, or in this case, probably skipped altogether. Sorry Oxford, but this one's a lame duck!

Bill

When it comes to Morris Minors the Classix ones a far superior IMHO. Unfortunately they are becoming hard to find since the company ceased production.

I like the way Oxford often represent actual vehicles, right down to the prototype's registration number and these are gems...... Unfortunately not all of the new models pass the test for authentic detail. The Morris 1000 Traveller for example, while represented in superb colours and with good woodwork, simply doesn't sit happily on its wheels and looks at best, ungainly......, however the new Triumph TR4 is simply a mess. As a TR4 enthusiast, I was looking forward the this arrival, but the red example I saw on the Hattons site is a truly horrible representation of the car. I hope the new versions available to pre-order, at least sorts out the dreadful 'black gunky' grille and headlight surrounds and gets the colour of the dash board correct (all were painted white). Other details are astray and this just shows how wrong a manufacturer of otherwise excellently researched and executed models, can get it so wrong when prototype research is skimped, or in this case, probably skipped altogether. Sorry Oxford, but this one's a lame duck!

I agree that they do vary. Their Mk.II Cortina isn't that good either; I had a lot of work to do to bring it to a reasonable standard, as shown here, including some heavy diuty filing! (I really must finish painting it...)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I agree that they do vary. Their Mk.II Cortina isn't that good either; I had a lot of work to do to bring it to a reasonable standard, as shown here, including some heavy diuty filing! (I really must finish painting it...)

I have swapped the chassis of the Mk.I over to the body of a Base Toys one. Thats if you can find a Base Toys Cortina where the boot/rear end casting hasn't moved during production. All that is required is removal of the raised turrets of the Oxford chassis together with a small trimming of the rear corners. The Base Toys casting is by far the most accurate, and it is of the more common 4 door version but let down by the crude interior and poor wheels, the best part of the Oxford model.

• Like 1

Not a bad idea. While not as poor as the Mk.II their 2-door Mk.I doesn't really capture the airy look of the real car; the side windows are rather squat and a bit flat across the top. Even so it's still a lot better than a Springside one.

• RMweb Gold

I received a rapid and useful response today from Oxford Diecast's Product Manager who advised that they are indeed revising many aspects of their future TR4 releases. The tacky black headlight and front grille surround is being dropped, as are the separate door locks and the dashboards will be correctly represented in a white painted finish as the OE.

They sent me a couple of nice photos of the car the model was based on and a previous owner had changed the dash for a later veneered example. 

The proof will be in the pudding as we say, so watch this space if you're a 60s sports car fan.

Bill

• 1 month later...

I’ve read through this thread, and I am quite surprised that while permutations of cars, buses, lorries, and road borne plant, are frequently cropping up as wished for, there remains one mode of mechanised transport that has not been mentioned anywhere (unless I’ve missed it).

I don’t know about everyone of course, but when I was growing up (60’s), the majority of my neighbours didn’t own a car – if they needed to get anywhere, it was walk, cycle, bus or train …unless of course, you had a motorbike as cheap run-around transport – and a lot of people did, including my Dad, with his BSA Bantam (goggles, gauntlets, flying boots and all).

So, my question is: Why no motorcycles in the Oxford range?

Has this topic been discussed elsewhere? – if so, my apologies, I haven’t found it.

The Prieser (10081) and Noch (15904) motorcycle packs are OK-ish (though H0), but don’t look all that representative of British machines to me, and are certainly not to the quality of the ‘Beeza’ attached to Oxford’s sidecar combinations thus far.

As this is a round-about way of getting a wish list in, would there be any ‘mileage’ in a range of small, medium, and large British motorcycles from the 50’s/60’s, another from the 70’s (but with a heavy Japanese influence taking place, and another from the 80’s/90’s? Separate riders for riding, or removable for when parked? If the front wheels could be turned for a parked vehicle, so much the better.

The motorcycles could be packaged in a set of three (say) – I was thinking something like:

50s/60’s (Small):

Triumph Tiger Cub

BSA Bantam

Francis Barnett/ Greaves/ James

50s/60s (Medium):

Triumph T90

BSA C15

AJS / Royal Enfield/ Norton/ Ariel

50s/60s (Large)

Triumph Bonneville /  Thunderbird

BSA Shooting Star / Gold Star

Vincent Black Shadow / Brough Superior

… Emergency and military variants too.

70s/80s (Small)

Suzuki AP50

Yamaha FS1E

Honda 90

70s/80s (Medium)

Honda CB400/CB250

…etc

…etc

– hope you get the picture…

I guess this would be probably too ambitious, and a smaller selection would be more viable, at least in the first place.

Add in some Lambrettas, and Vespas; then you could have a ‘Brighton 1964’ or ‘Mods and Rockers’ gift cameo set for all the Southern region fans, containing 2 x scooters and 2 x motorcycles, plus an Austin LD  ‘black maria’. :blackeye: 

For modern image? Well, I’m not well up on modern bikes, but modern scooters are all over the place, and at the bigger end of the scale Hondas, Suzuki Bandits and the like would seem prevalent? Gold Wings and Harley-D’s for ‘Large’?

I haven’t seen any model mobility scooters, though I don’t doubt that someone, somewhere has done them.

So is there a reason for no motorcycles? Practicality of only two wheels (I.e. standing them up), and that’s why Oxford have only done them with sidecars? Or is there no demand? Limited returns on the investment? More intensive to assemble?

I’d genuinely be interested to know what people think.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I do hope that Oxford check the M4 Sherman tank, prior to release. Some of the earlier M4's had plain side armour along the side of the main hull, some of the slightly versions had applique armour plate, most significantly to protect the ammunition stowage bins. These are usually noticed as a square/oblong patch, welded onto the main hull. Mrs Smith has just called me away, so I can't give you chapter & verse.

Ian

So is there a reason for no motorcycles? Practicality of only two wheels (I.e. standing them up), and that’s why Oxford have only done them with sidecars? Or is there no demand? Limited returns on the investment? More intensive to assemble?

I’d genuinely be interested to know what people think.

Well, I'm not up on the historic motorcycles that you indicate, but I would certainly buy a 'modern' (ie early 21st century) motorbike if Oxford were to produce one, though to be honest, I wouldn't care too much what type it actually was.  I'm sure that there is demand for some of the motorbikes that you list from railway modellers, but Oxford's products are often allegedly driven by the 'collector' market.  That is the reason why Oxford have a penchant for producing sports cars rather than the more mundane family saloons.  Whilst many railway modellers would prefer the latter (to represent reality), the collector market seems to be more driven by aspirations.  People collect sports cars, not because they own them, but because they are aspirational and more glamorous or desirable than the car that they actually own.  In many ways, I'd consider motorbikes to fall into the same category as the family saloon: they might appeal to railway modellers, but less so to collectors.  If you want to collect model trucks, but are short of space, collecting in 1:76 scale is an option because of their size.  However, for the collector interested in bikes - why would they collect 1:76 scale models?    Surely anyone interested in collecting motorcycles through the ages would do so in something more like 1:32 scale or larger, where the detail would be visible. That therefore means that I suspect the demand for motorcycles is possibly too low for there to be significant market for small scale models.

Then there is the subject of cost.  Producing a 1:76 scale motorbike would probably entail the same amount of research as a car.  Production and assembly costs may also be similar, but are those who want motorcycles willing to pay £5 for them or would they expect the cost to be less because the model is smaller?  

The practical issues like how to stand a two wheel bike for display purposes may also enter the equation as to why they haven't been produced.  I would hazard a guess that is why the only models Oxford have produced have a sidecar, but how many of them have they sold?  If they sold well, then Oxford may interpret that as their being a market for motorbikes and therefore they may look at other prototypes.  However, if the versions with sidecars have been slow sellers, then I can't seem them wanting to jump in and produce more motorbikes for what is probably a relatively small market.  The return on investment is probably greater elsewhere.

Whilst I'd happily buy a motorbike from the turn of the century, I'd much rather that Oxford increased their range of cars from the late 1990s through to the mid 2000s.

• Like 2

Thanks for the reply David - appreciated. All makes sense, and although I pretty much agree with all the reasons you have outlined, I was asking with my selfish 4mm railway modeller hat on - so any sense on my part goes out of the window! Even a 'taster' range of just a few models might test the water?

All food for thought though. Cheers.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

After all the hoo-hah about a certain green 0-6-0 locomotive, I'd be very surprised to see any Western news this side of the Azores. I'd think there are easier pickings to be made, without the flak generated just lately in the last few years.

I can see a trade federation being created, to protect manufacturers from the vociferous comments.

It's called the " Society to protect the misaligned Rivet".

If closed, try the Samaritans (Crewe Office).

• RMweb Gold

I've mentioned this in the road vehicles thread in Skills and Knowledge, though heaven knows I'm not qualified to have anything to do with anything called that.  Cwmdimbath, my 1950s South Wales blt, is to some extent inspired by  Abergwynfi, and a photo of this station available on Google Images shows a warm summer day with the signalman in shirt sleeves, no tie or jacket, no hat, and a mullet; a rebel if ever I saw one.  Just the sort of bloke whose incarnation on Cwmdimbath calls himself Vince, or Johnny Dark, or something when his real name's Nigel or Oswald; he likes to lounge around impressing girls with a fag in his face and an attitude.  He can't afford a decent motorbike on his wages, but has a BSA Bantam which he should spend time polishing and posing by between trains, so I would love to see Ox supplying one of these!

A Honda C50/70/90 is just about essential somewhere on any layout set between the mid 60s and, well, now, I suppose but their overwhelming popularity in the 1970s-2000 period is all pervading.  I don't want one in particular, but I reckon they'd sell to modellers and ex owners almost as well as the originals.  They are the most numerous motorised vehicle ever produced.

• Like 2

I do hope that Oxford check the M4 Sherman tank, prior to release. Some of the earlier M4's had plain side armour along the side of the main hull, some of the slightly versions had applique armour plate, most significantly to protect the ammunition stowage bins. These are usually noticed as a square/oblong patch, welded onto the main hull. Mrs Smith has just called me away, so I can't give you chapter & verse.Ian

So far Oxford seem to be doing early Sherman's. The extra armour appeared from mid versions along with the one piece nose. These improvements were added gradually over time. The extra armour was also done as kits for field workshops to up grade older tanks too.

The extra plates disappeared on late versions when wet stowage and better escape hatches were introduced ( never applied to M4A4 which ceased production).

• 1 month later...

New Models listed on Oxford Web Site

In 1/76 vehicles include Ford Transit Van London Dockland railways, Ford Transit Crew cab/pickup body dropside Stobart Rail, JCB 7 track loader and Red Combine Harvester. Plus other cars vans wagon in various scales.

• RMweb Premium

New Models listed on Oxford Web Site

In 1/76 vehicles include Ford Transit Van London Dockland railways, Ford Transit Crew cab/pickup body dropside Stobart Rail, JCB 7 track loader and Red Combine Harvester. Plus other cars vans wagon in various scales.

I've just had a look at Oxford's website, and don't think I can find what you are referring to. Can you give us the link please?

John Storey

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I've just had a look at Oxford's website, and don't think I can find what you are referring to. Can you give us the link please?

John Storey

Here's a link http://www.oxforddiecast.co.uk/collections/by-scale/1-76?page=1

If you want to see the offerings in other scales just change the 76 in the link to 43 or 148.

Edited by PhilJ W