Oxford diecast... whats next?

BROADTRAIN1979

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for confirming either way Mike!

The 1994-2000 Transit is listed as a Mk5 Transit on some websites rather than the 2006- version which confusingly other websites call this the Mk5!

• Like 1

Thanks for confirming either way Mike!

The 1994-2000 Transit is listed as a Mk5 Transit on some websites rather than the 2006- version which confusingly other websites call this the Mk5!

So far there have only been four basic bodyshell styles for the Transit, though all were updated in various ways over the years, both in styling detail and mechanically. In the absence of a universally recognised Ford designation it's best to refer to them by the years in which they were current. Of course lately there are new lines of 'Transit', Custom and Connect, to add to the possible confusion.

Edited by BernardTPM
  • Like 1

No one has seemed to notice the Citroen H van in the new models to come yet.

I noticed, but it is set up as a "serving van" (i.e. with an opening flap in the side) - there doesn't seem to be any info as to whether it will be available with "plain" corrugated sides.

• RMweb Premium

And it - the Citroen H van - is coming for its first outing in rather garish paint/advertising garb! Hopefully further issues will be plainer, for those of us who just want a nondescript van on our model streets.

John S

And it - the Citroen H van - is coming for its first outing in rather garish paint/advertising garb! Hopefully further issues will be plainer, for those of us who just want a nondescript van on our model streets.

John S

Meantime it can be repainted as the chip van which used to sit outside Dunkerque SNCF station as the (Hornby?) Night ferry Wagon Lits coaches rolled through. I have picture of one in Corsica with the chimney disguised by a Napoleon style hat.

Edited by mikeharvey22
  • Like 2

John S

Surely it's a modern image item for British use? I don't ever recall seeing these ugly corrugated tin huts when they were still current.

John S

Surely it's a modern image item for British use? I don't ever recall seeing these ugly corrugated tin huts when they were still current.

I'm pretty sure the 'H' van was never offered by Citroen for the UK market, even during the period they had a factory in the UK- although Slough-built 2CV vans and pickups were available.

As Bernard says, it's very much a modern image item for the UK modeller, and Oxford have probably gone for the most appropriate version for the UK market- I'm pretty sure the only ones I've ever seen 'in the wild' over here (outside classic car shows etc) have been catering vans- there's usually one at the Great Central's model railway event in the summer. I don't think I'd ever seen one for real until the first time I went to France as a kid in the early 80's

Edited by Invicta
  • Like 1

The Oxford transit van is usually called the mark 7 , being a (2006)facelifted update of the mark 6, a completely new model that was introduced in 2000, available with new engines & front wheel drive for the first time.Headlamps and rad grille being the most obvious difference. Mk6 headlamps were rectangular with the indicators on the outer side, mk7 squarer with indicators and separate sidelights on top

• RMweb Premium

The Oxford transit van is usually called the mark 7 , being a (2006)facelifted update of the mark 6, a completely new model that was introduced in 2000, available with new engines & front wheel drive for the first time.Headlamps and rad grille being the most obvious difference. Mk6 headlamps were rectangular with the indicators on the outer side, mk7 squarer with indicators and separate sidelights on top

The Cararama Transit is a Mk. 6. Problem is the difference in scale although not great is apparent when placed alongside the Oxford Mk. 7.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Oxfords  1/87   60s  American cars,  how do these compare in size to say a large British saloon like a Zephyr.

I am awaiting my first  Oxford, the 1/87 Highway Patrol 1955 Oldsmobile coupe and my 1947 UK period constraint would rule out buying the Zephyr.  I model both US and UK prototype and have other manufacturer's HO vehicles.

Oxford's HO US line features only passenger vehicles (pickups in US are passenger vehicles) from the late 1930's through the early 1960's. Popular American cars in that period were mostly huge highly stylized masses of steel and chrome requiring enormous 300-400 HP engines to get even modest speeds with a 3 speed shift on the steering column or automatic.  They were further enhanced with huge fins and other decorative protuberances to make them look even bigger so even though the scale is significantly smaller, they are bigger than most 4 mm UK passenger vehicles from the same period. Even before the freeways were built, US roads outside of old cramped east coast cities were wider and straighter.  It was/is a totally different dimensional environment than what you would be accustomed to in the UK. We are now dominated by enormous SUV's.  Most of you have seen it through the eyes of US movies.  But the dimensional difference between Europe (including the UK) and North America does not sink in until you experience both.

Women in the US drove earlier and much more often than in the UK or Europe so the automatic transmission was sold widely to spare them the unladylike action of pumping a clutch.  The automatic transmission lever was on the steering column (forward, reverse, neutral and park.)  From the 1920's on US town planning and developer greed responding to democratic pressures took advantage of cheap land, wide spread middle class automobile ownership and created spacious regular block style neighborhood patterns of well spaced houses and put grocery and other markets in centralized locations far from homes.  Therefore your home may be several miles from any grocery store.  Women had to drive to shop. Communities of interest were  no longer built on close neighbor proximity. People might attend any of 20 different churches further than the grocery market with no dominant denomination so one need a car to go to church or meet friends and relatives all who lived long unwalkable distances from each other. (Note this is a generalized diatribe and does not apply to cities like Boston or New York.)

Those few of us that were contrarians in that 50's and 60's bought imports such as an MG roadster.  The VW bug was a hit in California in the late 50's. Tiny US cars such as the Nash Metropolitan existed but never really penetrated the mass markets. (When I was about 13 and in 8th grade 4 of us early teen boys picked up a Nash Metropolitan owned by a "mod" young teacher carried it about 100 feet and deposited it in a school hallway as a pre grade school graduation prank. Lucky we weren't expelled.)  I learned to drive in a 1954 Ford 4 door sedan about 1960. 

Starting in the late 1950's, the Ford Thunderbird, Chevy Corvette and eventually the Ford Mustang made smaller more sporty cars popular with large segments of American society.  The car is deeply embedded in the heart of "American" culture. The primary rite of passage for most American teenagers was getting your drivers license at 16 and then your own car. 

Edited by autocoach
  • Like 3

On the subject of 1:76 buses I have never understood why an East Lancs bodied Fleetline / Atlantean has not been produced as an RTR model. .

I would be naturally biased towards one of the former Coventry fleet which migrated to many other parts of the West Mids empire over time, but I am sure they were located in several other cities such as Sheffield, Manchester, Liverpool,  Blackpool and maybe Leeds

https://www.flickr.com/photos/38556445@N08/15695975195

https://www.flickr.com/photos/chrisbell50000/9802563673

On the subject of 1:76 buses I have never understood why an East Lancs bodied Fleetline / Atlantean has not been produced as an RTR model. .

I would be naturally biased towards one of the former Coventry fleet which migrated to many other parts of the West Mids empire over time, but I am sure they were located in several other cities such as Sheffield, Manchester, Liverpool,  Blackpool and maybe Leeds

Southampton had loads as well

Southampton had loads as well

As did Brighton and Eastbourne.

The more the merrier then !!!!

• RMweb Premium

If you want American vehicles suitable for 00 scale Tomica produced several American cars from the 70's era using a scale of 1/77. Best one was the Chevrolet pick-up that was good enough to be used straight from the box.