Oxford diecast... whats next?

BROADTRAIN1979

Not sure if this has been mentioned before, might've been by me possibly but I'd love to see a 1:76 Thundersley Invacar!

They were of course a common scene from the mid 1960s up until the last decade, I heard the remaining ones were banned from the roads in 2003.

They were of course replaced by the Motability Scheme, where ordinary cars were adapted for the use of disabled people.

As the Invacars were owned by the government they were recalled, and apart from a few examples in museums etc most of them were trashed.

In the meantime I fancy getting my scalpel out on some styrene, apparently they were fitted with BL Mini wheels so it shouldn't be too difficult to make one or two!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Has anybody found any images/mock ups of the new releases yet? Oxford's website doesn't appear to be updated and a general search didn't bring anything.

They are in the photos section of the members only Oxford Diecast Collectors Facebook Group. The version on Oxford's website will be uploaded after the London Toyfair, and shortly after that the catalogue will be online as well as a .pdf. I believe that is when the trade lists with images will go out as well.

There's a very rusty, derelict 4-door Mk.II in the front garden of a house on the way into town which would make an interesting modelling subject. Oddly, a couple of months back, just as I'd walked past it another one (in much better condition) came up the same road on the back of a recovery vehicle and passed right by the regular one. How odd a coincidence is that?

• Like 2

It's on a Scammell Highwayman chassis; some of these were still working out of the Blue Circle plant at Caldon in the early 1980s at least.

'Don't recall seeing Highwaymans with Blue Circle that late, production ended in about 1968 with most customers, Blue Circle included, having already moved on to the Handyman and Trunker tractors with the Michelotti designed cabs. The tanks that delivered bulk cement to an independent ready mix depot near us were rigid Foden S21, S39, S80 and

Scammell Routemans with Foden S80 and Scammell Trunker artics. By the 80s, the shift was towards the Leyland T45 range almost across the board.

There's some very interesting and useful vehicles there that can represent a fairly 'average' car park or road. That said, the balance is tipped, to my mind, too far toward the esoteric and upmarket end of the scale.

Turning the old sit up and beg Ford Pop into real hot rod could be fun though...

steve

Edited by steve1

• RMweb Premium

Catalogue images of the newly announced items are now online:-

https://www.oxforddiecast.co.uk/collections/by-scale?constraint=oxford-diecast

Cheers for that. Oxford Diecast are really spoiling me, having already announced this:

RAF Police Ford Transit Connect

https://www.oxforddiecast.co.uk/collections/by-scale/products/ford-transit-connect-raf-76ftc012

They then go and announce this (which is more my era :D )

RAF Police lightweight Land Rover

https://www.oxforddiecast.co.uk/collections/by-scale/products/land-rover-lightweight-canvas-raf-police-43lrl007

These are definite additions for the collection:

post-6818-0-20028300-1548620067_thumb.jpeg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/01/2019 at 19:36, steve1 said:

There's some very interesting and useful vehicles there that can represent a fairly 'average' car park or road. That said, the balance is tipped, to my mind, too far toward the esoteric and upmarket end of the scale.

Turning the old sit up and beg Ford Pop into real hot rod could be fun though...

steve

What a shame the Pop's  4-door big brother, the E93A Prefect has not appeared, despite several requests to Oxford and dealers (for customer feedback). In most 1950s photos, they were often in view. A very popular (sorry) family car built from 1938 to the mid 50s. My first car with many happy journeys, despite the three-speed box and vacuum wipers. HEW 5, where are you now?

Tod

• Agree 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I have just seen the OO scale Sherpa van in Telephone Service livery (from the James Bond film) and every single one had the radiator grille fitted upside down.

Factory error?

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 months later...
45 minutes ago, ianmacc said:

Finally the much awaited and delayed Austin Maxi landed in the past couple of weeks! Thoughts? Took a couple of cruel closeups.

My thoughts are that I need to create a Limeflower 1750 (JEA 372K) and White 1750 (XWS 626K) to replicate my parents' and uncle's motors from the early '70s that took me countrywide peering at all things railway!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, 'CHARD said:

My thoughts are that I need to create a Limeflower 1750 (JEA 372K) and White 1750 (XWS 626K) to replicate my parents' and uncle's motors from the early '70s that took me countrywide peering at all things railway!

Why not write to them and suggest the same?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, 'CHARD said:

I’d recommend some very fiddly masking as I wouldn’t want to try and reproduce that grille and light clusters again by hand! 

5 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Why not write to them and suggest the same?

Sadly they tend to only produce vehicles that are still in existence hence some of the odder colour schemes and yellow number plates on 1960s or black number plates on 1970s cars etc. I did a google and it’s amazing how many are still on the road. 

The advantage is of course their models are suitable for layouts right up to 2019! Assuming they haven’t gone for scrap since their release. 

Replying to my own post with literally the first car off my layout! 

8B07C155-9FB0-4497-9BF7-E0C386432465.jpeg

28C5911C-CB85-4B1C-9D6C-F31AFFA3D33A.jpegEdited to say I just realised it’s the N scale version in the picture. Thought it looked a little crude!

Edited by ianmacc
Scale reference
  • Like 7

• 2 weeks later...