Oxford diecast... whats next?

BROADTRAIN1979

• RMweb Premium

On Tuesday evening 1 September Oxford Diecast made their September to January 2021 announcement, which is largely new variants and new liveries on existing tooling (the Coronavirus effect).  Except for a rather magnificent  Aveling and Porter road roller and associated tar spreader in 1/76!

The tar spreader looks like a cute little model - I very much hope it will be available separately in due course. It would be useful on many model railway layouts!

Here is the link to Oxford's website

https://www.oxforddiecast.co.uk/blogs/news/september-2020-january-2021-announcement.     ( no pictures at the moment)

and as Hattons have put it on their website, with pictures

https://www.hattons.co.uk/stocklist/cataloguetypes.aspx?supcatid=284&utm_campaign=mar-068-oxforddiecastsep2020announcements&utm_medium=email&utm_source=Klaviyo&_ke=eyJrbF9lbWFpbCI6ICJqb2hudHN0b3JleUBnbWFpbC5jb20iLCAia2xfY29tcGFueV9pZCI6ICJKR1FlWGgifQ%3D%3D

John Storey

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 27/09/2020 at 11:13, GeoffBird said:

The Aveling and Porter road roller and associated tar spreader has now disappeared from the Hattons Website.  I had it on pre-order and there is now a message that says "Unfortunately this item is no longer available".  Anyone know more?

There's a few on E-bay, but check prices and vendors rating. Also at the moment if your buying from China it will take some time for it to arrive.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/01/2021 at 11:09, The Black Hat said:

A TVR in their car range would be great. A nice Cerberus... 

A lovely car I agree

However, I think that’d be better in one of the die cast collector scales such as 1/43. 1/76 is a bit niche for a car collector and it’d bomb in the model railway accessory market unless they had an exotic car dealer. Plenty of cars needed ahead of this or indeed any TVR in the railway arena. 

As an aside I think Oxford diecast struggle with the look of modern cars and their complex curves and light clusters etc  compared to earlier prototypes. 

• Like 1

On 27/09/2020 at 11:13, GeoffBird said:

The Aveling and Porter road roller and associated tar spreader has now disappeared from the Hattons Website.  I had it on pre-order and there is now a mnessage that says "Unfortunately this item is no longer available".  Anyone know more?

Get one here just across the pond, in stock too. Got one myself before the xmas

https://www.marksmodels.com/?pid=38033

• RMweb Premium
46 minutes ago, ianmacc said:

A lovely car I agree

As an aside I think Oxford diecast struggle with the look of modern cars and their complex curves and light clusters etc  compared to earlier prototypes. 

They do produce some very good modern cars. The problem lies with licencing agreements that restricts what can be produced and to what scale.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Oxford Diecast have provided details of their new first quarter February to May 2021 release programme.  There are various new liveries and colour schemes, but Eloise acknowledged there are delays in their programme because of Covid etc: they need time to catch up, so new tooling is kept to a minimum in this announcement.

Eloise provided details about progress with new tooling from previous announcements, and had photographs of first castings of two modern Ford Transit vans and of the forthcoming scooter (wonderfully cute and detailed!).

There are three new toolings, all in 1/76 -

Alexander M type Scottish coach,

Bedford RL which comes first with a large enclosed lorry body (I'm sure there is a better way of describing that), and will hopefully later appear as the well-known Bedford S which I think is similar or even identical, and

a huge 6 axle Liebherr LTM1350 crane.

There are no new toolings in 1/43 or 1/148. Questioned about this on Facebook, Eloise said the market and sales heavily favour 1/76, but they have not forgotten these other scales, and they will have new toolings in due course.

No doubt details will be on Oxford's website shortly, but this gives a quick indication of what is coming!

John Storey

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

That Bedford RL (truck, 4 ton GS, I think), unlike many other military vehicles, would be a common sight throughout the land. They'd be seen picking up squaddies at rural stations, or collecting stuff from goods yards. When carrying troops, they had a row of back-to-back wooden benches facing the vehicle sides, and the canvas rear flaps would be tied back.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, ianmacc said:

To be honest they have lost momentum in general this past year but not too surprising really.

Yep, true, but still a big shame. And particularly as they're still developing and knocking out new models in OO (albeit at a reduced rate) but none in 1:148 scale.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

I'm liking the Alexander M type coach - I can finally forget about trying to piece together the Pirate Models whitemetal kit I made such a mess of all those years ago!  And a teal blue Marina like the one my mother could never get to start first time.  Those two make up for the continued lack of '70s Vauxhalls and Hillmans. for me at least.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, 64F said:

I'm liking the Alexander M type coach - I can finally forget about trying to piece together the Pirate Models whitemetal kit I made such a mess of all those years ago!  And a teal blue Marina like the one my mother could never get to start first time.  Those two make up for the continued lack of '70s Vauxhalls and Hillmans. for me at least.

There's something of a lack of Rootes Group cars irrespective of period. 

Just the Imps, the Sunbeam Rapier and two Humbers, but none of the bread-and-butter models, like the Hillman Minx and Husky, Singer Gazelle etc. Or the Commer Cob van/pickup. 

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3

4 hours ago, it's-er said:

Oxford Diecast have provided details of their new first quarter February to May 2021 release programme.  There are various new liveries and colour schemes, but Eloise acknowledged there are delays in their programme because of Covid etc: they need time to catch up, so new tooling is kept to a minimum in this announcement.

Eloise provided details about progress with new tooling from previous announcements, and had photographs of first castings of two modern Ford Transit vans and of the forthcoming scooter (wonderfully cute and detailed!).

There are three new toolings, all in 1/76 -

Alexander M type Scottish coach,

Bedford RL which comes first with a large enclosed lorry body (I'm sure there is a better way of describing that), and will hopefully later appear as the well-known Bedford S which I think is similar or even identical, and

a huge 6 axle Liebherr LTM1350 crane.

There are no new toolings in 1/43 or 1/148. Questioned about this on Facebook, Eloise said the market and sales heavily favour 1/76, but they have not forgotten these other scales, and they will have new toolings in due course.

No doubt details will be on Oxford's website shortly, but this gives a quick indication of what is coming!

John Storey

at last a cement mixer!

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, 64F said:

5 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

There's something of a lack of Rootes Group cars irrespective of period. 

Just the Imps, the Sunbeam Rapier and two Humbers, but none of the bread-and-butter models, like the Hillman Minx and Husky, Singer Gazelle etc. Or the Commer Cob van/pickup. 

John

The Rootes Arrow cars are the most obvious 'missing link'. 

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

The Rootes Arrow cars are the most obvious 'missing link'. 

I vote for that - a Hunter saloon is right at the top of my wishlist.  I've been amassing a collection of Imps for my carflats, and in the 1970-76 period when both types were built at Linwood they presumably went out on the same trains.

Nice screengrab of Arrows southbound on the WCML here:

https://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_1135812-Hillman-Hunter-Arrow-1973.html

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I learned to drive in my Dad's 1961 Series III Minx, White with red interior, bench front seat and column change. The one with the flared-out fins on the back and 1500 motor, which I think was the IIIb. It left me with an (as yet) unrequited yearning for a 1725cc Rapier....

Took me ages to get used to handbrakes in the middle.:jester:

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 4