Oxford diecast... whats next?

BROADTRAIN1979

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, paul 27 said:

If not been mentioned already surely top of the list must

be the Ford Corsair seen so many on the Ford car trains also

would like a Mk1V Zodiac in silver fox as my late Dad had in the 60s

all in 1/76 scale.

The Corsair was made by Minix and was a pretty good model. The thing that let them down was the wheels. I have a couple of tatty ones that I intend to update using bits from the Oxford Mk. II Cortina.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

The Corsair was made by Minix and was a pretty good model. The thing that let them down was the wheels. I have a couple of tatty ones that I intend to update using bits from the Oxford Mk. II Cortina.

The Matchbox one wasn’t bad and would spruce up quite well with new wheels, interior and paint.

steve

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Latest releases email just arrived from Oxford Diecast this morning.

For obvious reasons still alarmingly sparse. 

Almost entirely new liveries and a couple of back in stocks. Do we seriously need yet another consignment of Morse Jaguars though?

A very welcome addition for modern modellers is the Ford Transit Custom, initially in AA livery. No use to me but I can see a healthy number gracing layouts and train sets. 

Edited by ianmacc
Typo
  • Like 1

on 18 January 2022, Oxford Diecast have reported on their Facebook page that the next announcements of new items will be in May 2022 rather than the traditional end of January date which in the past coincided with the London Toyfair. 

https://www.facebook.com/oxforddiecast/

Edited by Mike Harvey
Added link
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

So, a helpful update on what's already in the pipeline, and some more announcements to follow in the spring.

I'm hoping for at least one addition to the range of PSV's. A Royal Blue Bristol LS "camelback" with roof luggage box would be lovely, albeit with rather limited scope for other liveries!

It's always baffled me that nobody has ever produced the distinctive and quite common Bedford VAL14/Duple Vega Major in 1:76 scale, whilst the much rarer [Harrington] correction, Plaxton-bodied one has been covered. There are also a couple of things in Oxford's N-scale range that would be nice to see in 4mm, e.g. the Burlingham Sunsaloon. 

For cars, I'd really like some more Rootes Group models of around the same period as their Sunbeam Rapier, Hillman Minx/Super Minx/Super Minx estate (not to mention the Husky), plus Singer variants Humber Sceptre, Commer Cob van/pickup etc. 

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Agree 3

On 08/02/2022 at 11:56, Dunsignalling said:

I'm hoping for at least one addition to the range of PSV's. A Royal Blue Bristol LS "camelback" with roof luggage box would be lovely, albeit with rather limited scope for other liveries!

It's always baffled me that nobody has ever produced the distinctive and quite common Bedford VAL14/Duple Vega Major in 1:76 scale, whilst the much rarer Harrington-bodied one has been covered. There are also a couple of things in Oxford's N-scale range that would be nice to see in 4mm, e.g. the Burlingham Sunsaloon. 

I don’t think anyone has ever made a VAL/Harrington, and don’t be giving Oxford any ideas about it – it’ll only result in a set with overscale movie-specific opening doors on the back and a triplet of Mini Coopers! Maybe you are thinking of the OOC Plaxton Panorama, of which a VAL version was available?

I think coaches are poorly represented by the RTR manufacturers.  The Oxford ones are lovely, but they mostly choose rare heavyweight types as favoured by a few large fleets rather than the much more common lightweight and dual-purpose types.  EFE and OOC seem pretty dormant at the moment.  It’s a shame because I think coaches are extremely collectable (see the continental H0 offerings from Rietze, Holland Oto and AWM).

Edited by 64F
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, 64F said:

I don’t think anyone has ever made a VAL/Harrington, and don’t be giving Oxford any ideas about it – it’ll only result in a set with overscale movie-specific opening doors on the back and a triplet of Mini Coopers! Maybe you are thinking of the OOC Plaxton Panorama, of which a VAL version was available?

I think coaches are poorly represented by the RTR manufacturers.  The Oxford ones are lovely, but they mostly choose rare heavyweight types as favoured by a few large fleets rather than the much more common lightweight and dual-purpose types.  EFE and OOC seem pretty dormant at the moment.  It’s a shame because I think coaches are extremely collectable (see the continental H0 offerings from Rietze, Holland Oto and AWM).

Sorry, brain fade. It was the Plaxton Panorama 1 I was thinking of.

Done by OOC, yonks ago. I have one in Yelloway livery.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 2

• 4 months later...

Some pictures of forthcoming castings on Oxford's Facebook page (been there a while but I've just noticed them).  Happily they have sorted out the problem with the Austin Maestro's bumpers:

https://www.oxforddiecast.co.uk/blogs/news-1/austin-maestro

https://www.facebook.com/oxforddiecast/photos/a.1953943968043871/4453450394759870/

Edited by 64F
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, Mike Harvey said:

Photo of the pre-production Alexander M Type coach has appeared on the oxford Diecast Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/oxforddiecast/photos/a.1865556713549264/4849252278513011/

After some very average PSV efforts from Oxford in recent years, that does look very smart. Early days to be passing judgement but some real promise from this one.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

It does look very smart.  The obvious compromise is the chrome striping on the sides being painted on, and the fleetname panel being flush with the body rather than applied above the raised chromework, but it would have been impossible to do it any other way without needing separate mouldings to represent different liveries.

No doubt the solitary NBC example will be offered in due course:

RTF561L

Personally I'm particularly looking forward to one in Scottish Citylink livery:

22822 MSF 747P Eastern Sc

(both images from Flickr)

• Like 3

On 27/06/2022 at 23:28, 64F said:

It does look very smart.  The obvious compromise is the chrome striping on the sides being painted on, and the fleetname panel being flush with the body rather than applied above the raised chromework, but it would have been impossible to do it any other way without needing separate mouldings to represent different liveries.

No doubt the solitary NBC example will be offered in due course:

RTF561L

Personally I'm particularly looking forward to one in Scottish Citylink livery:

22822 MSF 747P Eastern Sc

(both images from Flickr)

Windows inspired by Greyhound types?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/PD-4501_Scenicruiser#/media/File%3ALondon_Bus_Museum_Transportfest_2013_019_(10383698196).jpg

steve

Edited by steve1
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, steve1 said:

Yes, the M-type came out in 1968 and was heavily inspired by American practice.  They were optimised for overnight motorway services between Scotland and London and the small double glazed windows gave good soundproofing, as well as looking strikingly modern.  The motorway network was obviously in its infancy, and the maximum length for coaches had only been extended to 12m that year.  Having only 42 seats they were very comfortable coaches for their time.

When the first batches of M-types (Bristol REMHs new in 1968-71 and with a different front end to the Oxford model) were retired in the early '80s Scottish Bus Group persuaded Duple to offer the Dominant III and Goldliner III bodies with similar windows as replacements.  These were briefly fashionable amongst coach operators circa 1982, but the small windows made for a dark interior and limited passengers' views, so they were not really suitable for touring coach work and a lot of them were rebuilt or rebodied later in life.

Duple Goldliner III (from Flickr):

148. TSD 148Y: Western Scottish

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

• 1 month later...

For the first time since early in the pandemic, a large number of new Oxford Diecast vehicles are being released to retailers. Over 20 new items, with 8 new tools involved -  2 in 1/148, 4 US cars/trucks in 1/87, and 2  in 1/76. They have also indicated that there will an announcement of further additions to the catalogue during August 2022.

Details are in the Globe magazine:-

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0488/9369/0011/files/Globe_264_low_res.pdf?v=1658230066

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On Tuesday 16th August 2022, Oxford Diecast is making an announcement of new items planned for future release. The information will be shared on the Oxford Diecast Collectors Facebook Group on the previous evening with participation from Eloise Davies, MD of Oxford Diecast.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 2 weeks later...

An updated all scales Oxford Diecast catalogue can be viewed and downloaded here:-

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0488/9369/0011/files/AUGUST-JAN_23_low_res.pdf?v=1660643553

This is only a selection from the range but includes the newly announced items with some tentative release dates, but by no means certain given tooling and production challenges in China related to the local management of Covid.  The full range can be viewed on the Oxford Diecast website.

https://www.oxforddiecast.co.uk/

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

N scale very much the poor relation yet again... 🙄

Not so much the poor relation as despite the size difference the production costs are much the same. This means that anticipated sales have to justify the introduction of a model. N scale represents only about 10% of the British market so manufacturers have to take that into account.

• Agree 2

Is there a reason why, as far as I can see, no Asian models are included in the Oxford Diecast range? Japanese cars started to appear on British roads from the mid sixties and I am sure they would have a place on many layouts.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2