Oxford diecast... whats next?

BROADTRAIN1979

"It might be that this operation damages the door beyond re-use,"

This will almost certainly be the case and, in any event, these buses had two-part doors that folded in on themselves itself. The best bet is to cut a new door out of thin plasticard. If you use clear plastic, you can paint the solid parts around the glazing (scribe the outline of the windows on the plastic before cutting). I did the same thing on a Leyland Atlantean (two-part doors either side of the opening) many years ago. I wasn't difficult, but I wouldn't want to repeat it now with declining eye sight.

Does anyone know when Oxford bring out new catalogues: I notice that the latest catalogue on their website is labelled June to September 2012? I know that it's not yet the middle of October, but when should we expect an October to December catalogue?

I'm hoping for virtually any car from the late 1990s in 1:76 scale: especially if it is a Ford or a Vauxhall.

Regards

David

Hello, What I would like is more 1930s cars, a 1934-38 Morris 8 what be idea. There were plenty of these on the road until the late 50s and early 60s. Most people drove older cars during that era.

Regards, Keith.

There are one or two, Keith, but there is a dearth of 1930s [and pre 30s] small commercial vehicles. I can see that I shall have to buy and chop up an old taxi and/or an old Dennis fire engine if I'm to have anything other than the Cooper Craft AEC Monarch, [ then a new model ] collecting goods from my shed...

Oh, and while I'm whinging, why-oh-why-oh-why can't all suppliers indicate the year the vehicles first appeared in their publications/advertisements? Classix label their boxes accordingly....

Doug

Does anyone know when Oxford bring out new catalogues: I notice that the latest catalogue on their website is labelled June to September 2012? I know that it's not yet the middle of October, but when should we expect an October to December catalogue?

I'm hoping for virtually any car from the late 1990s in 1:76 scale: especially if it is a Ford or a Vauxhall.

Regards

David

Well it cant be far off as if you look hard enough on their website some of the '2013' releases are already there!

WW

Oh, and while I'm whinging, why-oh-why-oh-why can't all suppliers indicate the year the vehicles first appeared in their publications/advertisements? Classix label their boxes accordingly....

Doug

I believe Oxford at one time had a chart on their website showing the production years for each of their 4mm models. I do not know if they have updated it with newer products.

I believe Oxford at one time had a chart on their website showing the production years for each of their 4mm models. I do not know if they have updated it with newer products.

Links to the tables are on this page. They cover 10 year bands listing the suitable models rather than being directly listed by individual models with the year of introduction inidicated.

http://www.oxforddiecast.co.uk/eras/EraHeaders1_76.htm

Mike.

Unfortunately, Oxford's revision to the format of their dating chart makes it much less useful. You can no longer target a specific model and determine it's time period.

But with the number of items they have produced or are for future production would have made the previous format unusable too. It would be nice if they added date information to the descriptions of each product. Production years and the specific year(s) of the paint scheme would be most helpful.

While some people will want to only purchase items for a very specific year and season, I am less specific in my personal requirements but do want to avoid obvious anachronisms. As I model a period that ended when I was only 4 years old I have no specific recollections to guide me.

Oxford early 2013 releases are now on the Time Tunnel Models website (so are presumably also elsewhere)

Several more Bedford OY/OW trucks and a Dennis Light fire appliance caught my eye

WW

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Regards

David

Hi its now on their web site Oct 2012 to Jan 2013, new pictures of various truck models

• 4 weeks later...

I find the best place to look is here ;

http://www.ayrey.co.uk/reframe.asp?manuf.asp?id=OXF

Ayrey's are a wholesaler/distributer and they have MANY pages of ranges,

e.g. for Base Toys (BT) ;

http://www.ayrey.co.uk/reframe.asp?items.asp?id=308

Their index page is ;

http://www.ayrey.co.uk/reframe.asp?welcome.asp

-----------------

Whilst Oxford tend to announce the general marques first in the "Globe", Ayrey tend to show the specific models first.

• Like 1

Hattons have just advised that a number of new releases are in stock, and pre-orders are being processed.

I look forward to the Southern National OWB, the Military Two Piece (sounds like something from a dance competition), and the first of the Tillies. In the '40s, convoys were everyday sights, and could easily include 30-40 or so vehicles, on otherwise open roads. If they are as good as their advance pictures, I expect to duplicate one or more and grow my own convoy, passing the OWB in the opposite direction with a youth with his nose pressed to the inside of a passenger window.

As has been said before, who would have believed these a couple of years back?

I picked up a Tillie from Ian Allan B'ham today, looked very nice but was whisked away for Santa before I could lay claim to it

• RMweb Premium

The latest tranche of new releases from Oxford is now available. This Afternoon I acquired the following models >

Land Rover Discovery (Essex Police and normal model in silver), Volkswagen T25 van and minibus, SWB Transit vans in white and Post Office livery, Transit MK 1 recovery (RAC), Volvo animal transporter and the Eddie Stobart Scania horsebox. The Discovery's are to the usual standards we have come to expect from Oxford as are the modern Transit vans. Strangely the Volkswagen van had left hand drive despite having the single drivers seat on the right and a double seat on the left! When I examined the minibus I found exactly the same in reverse and furthermore the sliding passenger door was on the right hand side (the side door on the van was on the left) When I dismantled the models I found that the dashboards were separate mouldings and it was a simple matter to swap them over. The Volvo Animal transporter appears to be missing the under run bars behind the rear wheels, these appear on the box illustration and published pictures of the model so I will be taking it back to the trader after Christmas. The Scania 'Eddie Stobart' horsebox was again up to the standard we have come to expect from Oxford. The Transit Mk 1 recovery vehicle however is terrible, the grill bonnet and front wings are OK but the rest of the cab does not even look like a Transit, the roof is completely the wrong shape, it is too short and the side windows are curved at the top. The saving grace is the excellent interior seats and the wheels. I have a resin Transit 'droop-snoot' cab and I think that I will use that to replace the cab on this model.

Anyone know a source for replacement head lamps for the Bedford OB bus. Mine disappeared into the ether of my workbench/office during the modification to open the door. Wonderful if there were a brass casting or even pewter casting available.

Otherwise the modification to open the door is almost complete. But I really had to work hard file out the cast in metal door and still be careful about the paint and rest of bus. I also needed to cut back the plastic floor at the door to get the floor to the right height. Next I have to figure out how to get a camera around back of my Padstow station to take a picture in the forecourt. It backs up against a wall and would require a complete dismantle to get the shot I want.

Edited by autocoach

• 2 weeks later...