Oxford diecast... whats next?

BROADTRAIN1979

Thanks Phil,

I have a few Cararama models including the Mercedes and a few others that will be usable.  Of course that doesn't mean that I don't want Oxford Diecast to produce a few more 'ordinary' cars, even if I understand why other more glamorous or less common prototypes are often produced.

Hopefully the Transit Connect and the Vectra will both be out before Oxford's next announcement.

Transit Connect releasing week commencing 27 July 2015 with the Royal Mail version first.

• 1 month later...

The new Globe magazine shows many new releases including 3 from new tooling in N, and 3 from new tooling in 00. Rail related in 00 are a new BR set, Network Rail Transit Connect, and a plain  liveried Irizar PB coach for prestigious rail replacement work, with a Stobart Rail Transit van in N.

http://media.solnet.co.uk/oxford/globe188/files/assets/common/downloads/Globe%20158%20A.pdf

This is nothing other than a cheeky attempt to get special pleading in front of Messrs Oxford Diecast, on the assumption that they might read this thread ........

Pre-WW2 commercials in 7mm scale.

The Austin 7 van is superb, and it would be great to have some slightly bigger vans, open trucks and lorries.

I'm not sure what the equivalent of a Ford Transit chassis was in 1932, but that is the sort of thing that I have in mind, and a lot of other 0 gaugers would welcome too. One chassis/cab, but with several options on the back.

And, a more radical thought: coal merchants are a feature of zillions of railway goods yards, and they used horse-drawn lorries (technical term might be drays) until c1960 in many places. Could Oxford run to a 7mm scale horse and coal lorry?

Anyway, thanks in advance for thinking about these ideas, Kevin

I do not know whether Oxford read these pages or not. An email to their MD or product Development manager  is a sure fire route to reach them. Examples of what you are looking for with photos, dimensioned drawings, location of preserved vehicles are more likely to get a positive answer in my experience. there may already be something in the pipeline. Unfortunately the 1/43 partworks which cover these sorts of vehicles over a wider timescale do not seem to succeed in the UK but seem to flourish in France and Spain. This maybe says something about the likely market for such vehicles in the UK, where the collectors scale for commercials seems to focus on 1/50 rather than 1/43. Are there enough 0 gauge layouts to support sales of say 8000 of a casting across 4 liveries, I wonder?

Good pointers, Mike, thank you.

I'm a bit of a duffer when it comes to road vehicles, don't know makes/models, so I will need to swot-up on what the most common "light truck " chassis was.

Horses and carts? I barely know one end from the other!

Volumes? How many members of the GOG are there? I reckon you could sell one to each. Then diecast collectors.

Kevin

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Good pointers, Mike, thank you.

I'm a bit of a duffer when it comes to road vehicles, don't know makes/models, so I will need to swot-up on what the most common "light truck " chassis was.

Horses and carts? I barely know one end from the other!

Volumes? How many members of the GOG are there? I reckon you could sell one to each. Then diecast collectors.

Kevin

The most common light commercials in the 1-2 ton range would be Ford or Bedford. There is a 1/43 model of a 1931 Ford model AA 2 tonner available but not as a Ford, but as a Russian Gaz AA in a Russian part work.

• Like 1

Mike

Perfect!

That seaside outing picture is exactly the sort of thing that I want to reproduce; I have a picture taken in Summer 1939, showing some dim and distant great-uncles, on an "pub outing", everyone standing on the shingle in front of the 'bus. The trip must have been a long one, with many refreshment stops, because they went from near Tunbridge Wells, to Southsea!

Many thanks again, Kevin

• Like 1

My neighbour has a full sized, Dagenham built, AA currently in the early stages of restoration. Some might have seen it as for several years it stood outside B H Cecil & Sons Haulage on the A48 near Blakeney, Glos.

That digger looks spectacular. That might have to join the collection, like all the other 00 gauge cars I have snaffled since I stopped actively modelling 00.

On a side note, whilst I really appreciate oxford's current range, I can't help but feel they would able to sell more if then had more "normal" cars in their range. N gauge seriously needs something in the Vauxhall Astra/Nissan Qashqai style to get our car parks full, not an ice cream van as entertaining as the van is!

Edited by m0rris
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

That Gaz truck looks mighty useful, thank you.

Just to reassure me: the AA was produced in the UK, not just US and Russia?

Kevin

The Ford AA lorry was produced in many countries from Australia to Uruguay. The GAZ AA was made using machinery and tooling acquired from the Ford plant in Germany when the model became obsolete in 1931.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Oxford are to announce their next new releases covering the period October to Janaiary on 2 October, on the Oxford Diescast Collectors Facebook site.

John

Would this include the rail side of the business also? I believe Taff had promised an announcement on the next rail items earlier this year. I wonder if he is leaving it late in the development stage to avoid being beaten the shops with future products from other manufacturers