Oxford diecast... whats next?

On 30/01/2021 at 10:51, Dunsignalling said:

I learned to drive in my Dad's 1961 Series III Minx, White with red interior, bench front seat and column change. The one with the flared-out fins on the back and 1500 motor, which I think was the IIIb. It left me with an (as yet) unrequited yearning for a 1725cc Rapier....

Took me ages to get used to handbrakes in the middle.:jester:

John

My first car, in 1972, was a 1959 Hillman Minx convertible. It had overdrive in 3rd and 4th which was a column stick, however the gear change was a floor mounted selector, so individual front seats. It seems that Rootes used both column and floor mounted gear systems, depending on model type. My Minx also had an odd handbrake position, between the drivers seat and drivers door, not the easiest to locate.

• Like 4
22 minutes ago, rembrow said:

My first car, in 1972, was a 1959 Hillman Minx convertible. It had overdrive in 3rd and 4th which was a column stick, however the gear change was a floor mounted selector, so individual front seats. It seems that Rootes used both column and floor mounted gear systems, depending on model type. My Minx also had an odd handbrake position, between the drivers seat and drivers door, not the easiest to locate.

Our Minx was nearly two years old when we got it, but IIRC, you specified which seat/gearchange you wanted when you ordered the car. Obviously the bench seat ruled out a floor change but you clearly got the outboard handbrake lever regardless! Sounds like overdrive would only be compatible with bucket seats/floor shift.

Better than the wobbly umbrella-handle thing on my mate's dad's Mk2 Consul, though.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 3
10 minutes ago, rembrow said:

My Minx also had an odd handbrake position, between the drivers seat and drivers door, not the easiest to locate.

My first car in the mid 80s was my dad's 1972 Humber Sceptre III, the Hunter shape but with twin headlights and a more luxurious interior. I got it because the garage wouldn't give him a decent part exchange for it.  It is still the most fun car I have ever had.  I spent hours seeking out parts for it in scrappies.

I loved the handbrake being on the right as you could move into first gear at the same time as releasing the handbrake.  I ended up rebuilding the car after it was written off due to an electrical fire in a car alarm. I fitted a bored out Holbay engine and a revised gear box incorporating the earlier close ratio gearbox with a later overdrive to give fast acceleration whilst maintaining the top speed.  That car was fun and could give owners of VW Golfs a fright at traffic lights.  Friends always used to say that they could hear me coming, not because of the exhaust but the sound of the twin weber DCOE carbs sucking the air in through free flow oil air filters.  It used to grunt when accelerating.  Marriage came along in 1993 and it was a case of using my wife's newer Maestro or my maintenance heavy Sceptre, which, like all 70s cars was suffering from rust, so the Sceptre had to go.  It went to a fellow owner who was going to drop the mechanics into a better shell and use it for classic car rallying.

I miss that car and still look at online adverts for Sceptres, but I am in my sixties now and I don't think I could do all the work needed to replace that original one with one which would be as much fun, even if the parts were still available.

Memories

Roddy

• Like 6

Goodness, Roddy!  I've almost learnt more about you from this post - about Oxford Diecast's latest release programme - than I did in years of contact as colleagues in the Scottish Office/Executive/Government!

John S

• Like 3