Oxford diecast... whats next?

BROADTRAIN1979

A side point... but will your Maxi ever make it to the market?

It's a possibility still.

As for the Ital, I was thinking strip it, file off the bumpers and rear lights, add a piece of 30 or 40 thou. added to the top of the boot and then build up the extra panelwork in Milliput. Make new bumpers, grille and spolier, carve in the lights and revised boot lines, aeroflow vents, remodel the dash (carried over from the Marina II) then paint. The glazing can go back in 'as is' (though flush glazing the side windows would be nice, even on the standard Marina). The wheel trims will need attention, plus door mirrors, probably seat patterns. Now I've written it out I'm glad I don't need one!

A coupe would be nice though. Harder work with a file, mind you, but more useful.

Any news on the N gauge Austin Mini promised several years ago and the Plaxton Panarama coach? They seem to have been passed over by the mania for Stobard lorries and older style buses.

G.

The moulds exist and first pulls can be seen in the background in one of the recent Oxford Diecast videos published on the Collectors Club of Great Britain site. In one of these videos OD confirmed that they have just secured more manufacturing capacity for N models, and are proceeding to catch up with the backlog of new items. I think there will have been 8 new castings introduced in N between May and end of July. The Panorama was a new announcement in February this year and will be out before the end of 2013. The Guy Arab Utility moulds are also made, and the first will be out in the Autumn. HTH Grahame.

The Mini was first announced long ago.....and has not been a priority up to now.

Mike

Edited by mikeharvey22

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

I generally like Oxford Diecast's castings at 1/76, but some stick out as truly exceptional. They have just released the CMP truck, and I got mine the other day at Harburn Hobbies.

What an exceptional model it is. The casting is very fine and sharp, front mudguards separate from the footstep just behind. Even the rivets on the windsreen and side cab window surrounds are there. The rope ties tying the canvas top to the lower body look as if they have been made of very fine line - in fact they are part of the moulding, but give the appearance of being separate - they are a master piece.

In short, the level and accuracy of detail on such a small model is fantastic - and that is without mentioning the paintwork and camouflage, which again is astonishingly good.

I am not into military vehicles (I hope OD release several versions as used for contracting and forestry after the war), but the CMP is an exceptional "must purchase" model. I have no connection with OD other than as a customer simply astonished at the excellence of this model.

John Storey

If you have a model Ital you need the front windows half down permanantly.....The winder mech wasn't strong enough to hold them up - Ask me how  I know that :D

I had a Marina 1800 at one point in my existence.Awful car, though went well in a straightish line  .Cornering was dreadful...UNTIL........my wife asked me to look out for a nice old fashioned Butlers sink for her garden .Blow me I went up our local tip(sorry recycling centre ? ) the same day to dump some stuff and a guy was taking one out of his boot .Needless to say it was put straight in my boot .On the way home through windy country lanes taken far too fast the car handled far better and didnt tail hop .I kept sink in there until the car finally expired with rotten sills and a duff gearbox .

I generally like Oxford Diecast's castings at 1/76, but some stick out as truly exceptional. They have just released the CMP truck, and I got mine the other day at Harburn Hobbies.

What an exceptional model it is. The casting is very fine and sharp, front mudguards separate from the footstep just behind. Even the rivets on the windsreen and side cab window surrounds are there. The rope ties tying the canvas top to the lower body look as if they have been made of very fine line - in fact they are part of the moulding, but give the appearance of being separate - they are a master piece.

In short, the level and accuracy of detail on such a small model is fantastic - and that is without mentioning the paintwork and camouflage, which again is astonishingly good.

I am not into military vehicles (I hope OD release several versions as used for contracting and forestry after the war), but the CMP is an exceptional "must purchase" model. I have no connection with OD other than as a customer simply astonished at the excellence of this model.

John Storey

John. Do you know where the fuel tank was placed on the real vehicles? The web photos of the model do not seem to have an obvious fuel tank.

Mike

John. Do you know where the fuel tank was placed on the real vehicles? The web photos of the model do not seem to have an obvious fuel tank.

Mike

Take a look at

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=cmp+c30&rlz=1R2GGLR_enGB492&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=0a0TUu-bD8SP0AXmo4DACQ&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1600&bih=688

It should help plenty of pics there

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Mike

Ah! Where was the fuel tank on the real CMP? That us what I wondered too on examining OD's CMP model, as it does not have an obvious fuel tank. From the pictures wamwig has posted, and others, the fuel tank is below and behind the cab (I don't know if there is one tank, or two, one on each side).

On some CMP varieties, the tank is obvious; on other versions - as modelled by OD - it is much less obvious. Oxford Diecast seem to have modelled part of the tank. I gather the fuel capacity was 24 gallons, which at 7 mpg does not make a long range!

John

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The CMP trucks were made by both Ford and Chevrolet, the only things in common were the cabs and bodies. The fuel tanks of the short wheelbase models were mounted on the left side partially underneath the cab. on the longer wheelbase models the fuel tank was further back with only about 6 inches below the cab. In photographs there appears to be a variation in size and on the Ford it is further below the bodywork. On some special bodies the fuel tank was mounted transversely behind the cab. Some had a fuel tank on the right hand side mostly Fords. The main way to differentiate between Chevrolet and Ford vehicles was the radiator mesh and the differential housings, the Chevrolet having a diamond mesh grill and banjo housings, the Ford had a rectangular mesh and split housings.

• 4 weeks later...

Was the 76OWB006 British Railways version of the OWB based on actual vehicles?

If so when and where did they run and did they operate on public services or just for railway personnel?

I see the DFE registration was from Lincoln.

Steve

Canada

Steve

The Bedford OWB was produced from a black and white photo of the real vehicle.  It being the only one of it's type that I have a record of. The exact colour was therefore not known so an educated guess at the livery was produced. It is not known where the picture was taken. The lettering was in Great Western style as used by the Western Region during 1948, before the new red & cream livery was introduced. These type of vehicles were only used for staff transport, some by the P. way and some by larger depots.

Merf.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Merf,

Thanks for giving more information. Any idea why a Western Region vehicle was registered in Lincoln? - was the bodywork built there?

Best wishes,

David

They were purchased second hand, many went into service still wearing their previous owners colours as well.

I would like to see a few more of the classic 1960's BMC group cars ie:-

ADO9 Farina styled Morris Oxford's, Austin A55 Mk 2/A60 Cambridge, MG Magnette Mk 3 & 4, Riley 4/68 & 4/72, Wolseley 15/60 & 16/60.

Austin A99/A110 Westminster, Wolseley 6/99 & 6/110, Princess 3 litre and 4 litre R,

ADO16 Austin & Morris 1100 Mk1 & 2, Riley Kestrel, Wolseley 1100, Princess 1100

Riley Elf & Wolseley Hornet

Then I am biased and live in Oxford!!!

Just get a model of a Peugeot 404, they were a much better car anyway with many still on the road.

Mark

Thanks for that  -  a fascinating site.

-----

Again I will vote for Oxford producing a plain coloured "civilian" version of all their military vehicles.

I got the platinum 2013 Matador because you can take the canvas tilt off to get a plain coloured Matador (even if the colour is a bit odd).

What about as a proportion of the 1970 figure then for a better (from my perspective) comparison.  Certainly here in Australia we are far more likely to see a 404 on the road today than a BMC version of the design and I suspect that the BMC version outsold the 404.  And the 404 is available in H0 scale which suits me better, still would like more Pommy cars in H0 though, people who bought French cars were considered very strange by most Australians and I don't want strange people on my layout.

Mark

Edited by Mark Laidlay

That's because most of the rest ended up in North Africa; all the taxis that aren't Mercedes are Peugeots of varying vintage. We stayed on the edge of the Atlas mountains a few years ago, and there'd be a stream of taxis heading into the outskirts of the Sahara all day; each would have six or more passengers and a luggage rack about the same volume as the car..