Cleaning Frosted Ultra Detail

P6290071.JPG

My tube car arrived in the post this morning and though the finish is generally very good there is quite a lot of a waxy yellow substance on some areas, in some places obscuring the surface details.

I'm wary of immediately applying white spirit etc as I'm not sure what effect it will have on the plastic. Can anyone recommend the best way to remove the yellow stuff?

Many thanks,

Paul

I always clean FUD with Acetone. Just use use a q-tip and brush to do so ... do not soak it in Acetone and always wear gloves while cleaning.

Got this tip from the guys at printapart.com. They used exactly the same support material (wax) as is being used by Shapeways.

Cheers,

Jeroen

Thanks Spoors. I asked my local jeweller about ultrasonic cleaning but they wouldn't take miniature tube trains. I'll try a couple of others nearby tomorrow and if they won't do it I'll have go myself with acetone.

Paul

Bill, was the ultrasonic cleaner you tried filled with water or some cleaning solution?

Thanks for the link to that Shapeways thread. One of the recommendations in it is to use white spirit, has anyone here tried it on FUD?

Paul

It had some sort of cleaning solution in it, don't know what it was 'cos 'it came with the machine'

I've just tried some degreaser, which I think came from the local pound shop and that worked very well, but then it says that it contains petroleum distillates, so it should work.

Following Bill's warning I've avoided ultrasonic cleaning as in a jeweller I can't be sure what's in the machine. Instead I've had a go at cleaning the tube car using acetone and it seems to have worked okay. A lot of the detail on the front end especially, which was previously covered in a layer of wax, is now visible.

P6300080.JPG

Paul

Archived