Sparthbottom PCD

Andy C

Well here goes the next project, Sparthbottom PCD. Inspired by Oldham Clegg Street PCD, Spartbottom is an area in Rochdale near the Town Centre through which ran a totally ficticious LNWR line and "Rochdale Central" - a station designed to attract passenegers rather than a long walk up to the L and Y station! Its in P4.

The time is the mid 70s to early 80s and blue diesels rule with a mix of both vacuum and Airbraked parcels stock.

The trackplan is that of a through station and here is the first draft on Templot: In addition to the parcels there will be regular DMU traffic and the odd coal concentration train and other miscelaneous freight - but not much!!

post-6679-12590843226027_thumb.jpg

Stock is already accumulated, as has the P4 track co point kits - just need to start thinking about Woodwork after next april when New Hey will be oficially declared finished with no more work to dobiggrin.gif

Andy great to see you building another layout again will follow with intrest!!

I also remember you from the 2009 Holmfirth exhibition, I was the young and good looking guy who was 'playing trains' on Springfield Junction laugh.gif laugh.gif and you was next door to use doing demostrations?? Im sure its you I saw a picture on one of the forums?? It was an ok show, just toooo many steam layouts!!

George

Andy great to see you building another layout again will follow with intrest!!

I also remember you from the 2009 Holmfirth exhibition, I was the young and good looking guy who was 'playing trains' on Springfield Junction laugh.gif laugh.gif and you was next door to use doing demostrations?? Im sure its you I saw a picture on one of the forums?? It was an ok show, just toooo many steam layouts!!

George

Yes George that was me - progress on this will be slow for a while as i have a few remaining jobs on New Hey - those signals i was building for a start, and then the point rodding - then its finished, hopefully just in time for york. I will start baseboard building then - as can be seen the scenic section is 10 by 2, (two 5 x 2 boards) plus fiddleyards either end. Only half the station will be modelled, plus about 9 incehs of the parcels depot - the rest will be permanent roads in the fiddeyard, the main running roads using cassettes on both sides,

It an end to end layout - Im going to use cassettes on the main lines but the roads into the parcels depot will continue through into the fiddleyards as they are dead end sidings anyway.

the layout is set in the period 1975 - 1983, motive power 03, 08,24,25,40,47 with odd appearances by 37 and 45. I already have some converted to P4, the 24 and a 37.

I'm quite taken with your ideas on this new layout. Diesels with sound would be the icing on the cake for me but maybe you have discounted this idea? Looking forward to further developments.

Funnily enough Larry I happen to have a sound equipped 24 and another chip thats about to reblown by SWD for 40 106. It got to be done!

Im going to use the NCE kit that was so, shall we say disasterous, for New Hey on the grounds its only juicing two, possibly three locos at any one time. It will also be wired dual fuel so that at a flick of a switch if theres a problem with the DCC I can drop the xtra C and carry on operating under good old fashioned DC.

As you can see Ive thought quite a lot of eventualities through!!

Hi Andy (saw you briefly at Warley but then you'd gone wink.gif )

I see like me and probably most people you never give names to your Templot templates!

Presumably the station is lower right and the depot upper left? Look forward to seeing some more infrastructure marked so I can see what goes where.

• 2 months later...

In between plotting on New Hey the positions for the point rodding stools, I finally got to photo the full size printed plan that Vulcan did for me a copule of weeks ago. A worthwile exercise, the next job will be to do a few cardboard mock ups of buildings to give an idea of the final appearance. the station building on the overbridge may have a more modern appearance as Im seriously considering using Bury Bolton street - the stairs will lead down to a canopied platform with the grand central buildings on it,

post-6679-12656474912574_thumb.jpg

post-6679-12656474984321_thumb.jpg

post-6679-12656475054691_thumb.jpg

post-6679-12656475130735_thumb.jpg

post-6679-12656475192441_thumb.jpg

As readers of the New Hey threads will have noticed, the Cooper hounds always get in on the act whilst layout building. Jess in this instance was most interested, Floyd had b*gg*rd off to woof at someone in the close biggrin.gif Pawprints occur on all my layouts rolleyes.gif

Archived