'Tangmere' this morning.

Afternoon All,

I went out to see Tangmere this morning; the pictures are now on Flickr in the Photostream :

http://www.flickr.com/photos/train-pix/

Or you can also find them in the set 'Main Line Steam 2011' :

http://www.flickr.com/photos/train-pix/sets/72157626904549565/

They are at the end; click on any of the pictures in the slide show and then click on 'Open picture in new window' to get to the set.

Hope that they are of interest.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for that, I'd forgotten about this run, just happened to be driving down the A35 going to Christchurch tip when there's loads of smoke everywhere, realised it was a chuffer puffer but couldn't eyeball it, just saw the rear coaches disappearing into Christchurch station. I'll try and catch the 8F on the return through New Milton this afternoon.

• RMweb Premium

Saw this go through Bournemouth this morning. Quite surprised that there wasn't a 66 or 67 on the rear - usually these steam specials have a diesel at the back. Any particular reason why Tangmere was okay to run by itself?

David

Not sure, but the last special I saw through Hinton Admiral a few weeks back had Oliver Cromwell on the front and no backup diesel.

Ah, now that makes sense - I'd always presumed the diesel was there in case of failure, but if its just there for the return trip (if the steam engine would have to go backwards, as at Swanage with no room on the turntable), then with another loco facing 'right way' to take it back, no need for diesel.

I now know for sure I'm not a real steam enthusiast as I was actually slightly disappointed there wasn't a 66 or 67 on the rear :laugh:

David

Ah, now that makes sense - I'd always presumed the diesel was there in case of failure, but if its just there for the return trip (if the steam engine would have to go backwards, as at Swanage with no room on the turntable), then with another loco facing 'right way' to take it back, no need for diesel.

I thought Swanage had a turntable. On the right hand side as you leave Swanage station isn't it?

EDIT: Found the link. The got a new (old) one in to accommodate charter trains.

Also does anyone know where Tagmere went for the day as i know it joined the train back at Salisbury station (was annoyed i missed it! :().

I thought Swanage had a turntable. On the right hand side as you leave Swanage station isn't it?

Also does anyone know where Tagmere went for the day as i know it joined the train back at Salisbury station (was annoyed i missed it! :().

The turntable at Swanage is too small for Tangmere - I believe that the Swanage Railway has purchased the one from Old Oak Common and intend to install it at Furzebrook.

Tangmere ran light engine (+ support coach) from Swanage to Salisbury - running in reverse limited it to 45mph, so it was still being watered when we arrived behind the 8F. Both engines gave some enjoyable running - the day was let down (slightly) by having under two hours at Swanage, so not enough time to do a full round trip there.

Mike

We do have a turntable but its only 50 ft in length if i rember correctly so you can only turn larger engines by splitting the loco tender connections witch would mean to do this with a main line loco they would need a new FTR ticket to be alowed back on the main line however with the purchase of the OOC turntable that can be set up in a new location and will turn longer engines.

We do have a turntable but its only 50 ft in length if i rember correctly so you can only turn larger engines by splitting the loco tender connections witch would mean to do this with a main line loco they would need a new FTR ticket to be alowed back on the main line however with the purchase of the OOC turntable that can be set up in a new location and will turn longer engines.

Thanks!

It's just i remembered that you got a new turntable but it seemed odd that locos still weren't being able to be turned.

I assume the new turntable is in a siding somewhere awaiting instillation?

Thanks!

It's just i remembered that you got a new turntable but it seemed odd that locos still weren't being able to be turned.

I assume the new turntable is in a siding somewhere awaiting instillation?

its sat at herston

Saw this go through Bournemouth this morning. Quite surprised that there wasn't a 66 or 67 on the rear - usually these steam specials have a diesel at the back. Any particular reason why Tangmere was okay to run by itself?

David

Hi,

Not all Railtours do have a diesel on the back, sometimes they have a diesel following the railtour down the line, under a light engine movement / headcode.

Simon

Hi,

Not all Railtours do have a diesel on the back, sometimes they have a diesel following the railtour down the line, under a light engine movement / headcode.

Simon

but thats expensive so not normally done down south!

As I can't access Flikr from work I can't tell if ther is already a photo of Tangmere at Southampton; this one was taken by a colleague from Southampton Central footbridge.

Copyright Sam Peniche; reproduced here by her kind permission.

post-7342-0-34623400-1309864823_thumb.jpg

Simon.

Evening All,

Tangmere was out on the main line again today and I got a couple of shots at Fleet and near Winchfield accelerating away from the water stop.

I had intended to to grice Britannia on the return train this evening, but as the train was some 90 minutes late it was too dark. So I just stood and watched...

The pictures of Tangmere are now on Flickr. To make it easier to find new pictures amongst all the existing ones, I am now putting the latest additions into a 'Stop Press! Latest Pictures!!' collection which is here : http://www.flickr.com/photos/train-pix/collections/72157627090322278/ . The Tangmere ones are in the set dated 12th July.

They are also in the Main Line Steam collection in the Railway Preservation collection.

Hope that they are of interest.

Tangmere was at Weymouth on Saturday, which coincided with my own all-day visit there.....

The Saturday trip was a one off special with non-stop high speed running. The Tuesday trips are more leasurely and run every week until September.

Here's Saturday's trip passing Farnborough at speed on the way home : RD6185  34067 Farnborough

The Saturday trip was a one off special with non-stop high speed running. ....

I had to fight through the crowd just to get one measly pic of the offside nameplate, before moving on to the Spirit Of The Sea festival in Weymouth Harbour.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived