Class 85

Michael Delamar

• 1 year later...

Hi folks, can anyone recommend someone who can service/repair Bachmann models? 

Or has experience of using Bachmann repair service (I really don't want to have to pay more than £30 to get it looked at).

My Class 85 that doesn't run well (jerky at slow speeds, lights flicker) and though I bought new/as new, it's past any warranty period (my mistake).

I think it's because oil has got in the contacts, and whilst I'm usually quite skilled at disassembly and cleaning/repairing myself and have given it a good go, this one is too complex for me. Could also be a loose wire or its actually DCC and I need a blanking chip...bit of a loss with this one!

Thanks in advance...

My 85 went from a great runner to very stuttery. The sound chip became awful, continually cutting out for a millisecond then on for a couple of seconds. I think the problem was with the pickups and needing to clean them / or wheel. I can't remember the exact details but i'll have look at my model to remind myself and get back to you.

• Informative/Useful 1

5 minutes ago, WolfofBadenoch said:

My 85 went from a great runner to very stuttery. The sound chip became awful, continually cutting out for a millisecond then on for a couple of seconds. I think the problem was with the pickups and needing to clean them / or wheel. I can't remember the exact details but i'll have look at my model to remind myself and get back to you.

That sounds very familiar. My 85 has stuttering sound although the loco itself does not appear to stutter.

1 hour ago, Pete the Elaner said:

That sounds very familiar. My 85 has stuttering sound although the loco itself does not appear to stutter.

Same. You had to look very closely to see the movement was stuttering but the sound consistently cut out and back in again.

Please forgive the lack of technological terminology.

In the photo hopefully you can see a thin strip  - brass? - red arrow. On the axle is a 'thing' with a groove in it. The brass strip sits in the groove. I can't remember whether it was the section of the brass strip in the groove or the groove itself, but one of these was dirty and cleaning both these did the trick for me. I can't remember but it was probably a fibreglass pencil i used and then maybe a wipe with IPA.

20220703_194523_mfnr_edit.thumb.jpg.27317d3ca8f4c05cae1b84866ce8e7bc.jpg

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

I also had similar issues with high mileage.

Cleaning the bearings and brass pick up strip as you show above helped but I also took the axles apart, removed the bearings and cleaned both inside the bearings and the part of the axle which ran inside the bearings. Both turned out to be filthy. Some ipa on a cotton bud and 5 minutes later it runs like new.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1