Class 85

Michael Delamar

Guest oldlugger

Hi Simon

Are you going to share any of this pioneering work with us at all? BNS doesn't have any overhead unless you are comparing with my test plank in which case I agree with you (and have already stated in this thread) that it's not good enough.

Don't sweat it

Jim

Hello Jim,

I would gladly do this but the layout in question (the one that I built called Göscheneralp in HO and HOm) was sold years ago with all the aforementioned catenary. I don't have any photos of the layout or the masts, sadly, and that's not an excuse just reality. A retrospective view without the subject matter would be a tad lame I fear. As to my friend's layout that I mentioned, a Google search reveals nothing (which is a shame) and I've lost contact with him; we both lived in London at the time. And as you know, like many others here, I am one for trying out new ideas previously untried (or not in common use); my working/energised third rail system on my P4 layout St. Mary Hoo being a good example. I feel bold enough to say that I think my class 73 could be the first 4mm ED (certainly in P4) that has scale working third rail pick ups.

Simon

Edited by oldlugger
  • Like 2

while Im not a big fan of the livery on the real loco, I hope and think it could be a good seller for Bachmann, collectors should snap that up for the rarity and also I think the livery application on the model looks superb.

Id be interested to know how the real loco is getting along, hope to see it back on the mainline soon

Looks rather nice indeed and perfect for my layout however I have way too many triple grey locos already. The real loco was just sat there in barrow hill roundhouse last I saw. Its about 5 mins drive from me so may take a wander down at some point.

Cav

Guest jim s-w

I feel bold enough to say that I think my class 73 could be the first 4mm ED (certainly in P4) that has scale working third rail pick ups.

Hi Simon

Pretty sure working third rail has been done in p4 on a layout now long retired. No matter, afraid as I am no engineer the technical aspects of this sort of cleverness are somewhat lost on me. My train set only has to look like the real place and that's good enough for me. While I appreciate people get a lot of enjoyment from the technical stuff it's a waste of time for my personal situation as it doesn't effect the end result for my personal criteria

Cheers

Jim

• Like 1

Not sure that the 85 ever turned a wheel in triple grey.

Cheers

Jim

We painted it into that livery 10 years ago, Distribution on one side and unbranded on the other (although there have been threats to add the Freightliner wording and the red triangles). It might have offended the purists but the 85/1's were just a signature away from being repainted into that livery, until the sector was told to sort out their brand new 90's instead and stop spending money on the 85's. The loco also needed alot of bodywork attention and it was only supposed to carry the livery for a short while before a repaint back into blue.

The loco has never been energised since repainting, but has been to Doncaster and Crewe Works. It was named at Donny for the works anniversary, but strangely enough, the plates have to be removed for rail travel as there is no existing paperwork for them in the class' loading gauge profile...

Hi Simon

Pretty sure working third rail has been done in p4 on a layout now long retired. No matter, afraid as I am no engineer the technical aspects of this sort of cleverness are somewhat lost on me. My train set only has to look like the real place and that's good enough for me. While I appreciate people get a lot of enjoyment from the technical stuff it's a waste of time for my personal situation as it doesn't effect the end result for my personal criteria

Cheers

Jim

Sounds like Effingham South (built by Graham Clark and now owned by Gordon Hopkins), although only a few units were fitted with pickup shoes. I think the original idea was to use them for a constant voltage for the interior lights. It's not something I'd do as there are other methods to achieve the same results and won't be arguing against the concept as it was a choice made by the original builder.

At least (in my experience), third rail layout operators aren't nagged with the constant "is the juice rail live...?" question...

Sounds like Effingham South (built by Graham Clark and now owned by Gordon Hopkins), although only a few units were fitted with pickup shoes. I think the original idea was to use them for a constant voltage for the interior lights. It's not something I'd do as there are other methods to achieve the same results and won't be arguing against the concept as it was a choice made by the original builder.

At least (in my experience), third rail layout operators aren't nagged with the constant "is the juice rail live...?" question...

Tonbridge West Yard operators were...We used to get asked on an hourly basis, to the extent I was tempted to get us some t-shirts with ' No it isn't' printed on them.

• Like 2

Guest oldlugger

Hi Simon

Cheers

Jim

Hello Jim,

I can only refer you to the Scalefour Society forum where my layout was mentioned recently, and where the working third rail debate was referred to in particular:-

http://www.scalefour....php?f=9&t=1823

I would say that St. Mary Hoo is the first full P4 layout with a scale working third rail, at the various least. As yet I have found no other references to a BR electro-diesel in P4 with scale working third rail pick ups supplying current to the motor. I stand to be corrected of course. As to your technical prowess or not, BNS is still a very fine layout, which I admire a great deal. You don't need me to tell you that of course or to confirm that you have technical expertise, or the contrary. Anyway sorry to go off topic folks!

Cheers

Simon

Edited by oldlugger

• RMweb Premium

I saw 85101's naming ceremony at Doncaster Works in 2003 and am seriously tempted in buying the limited edition, having bought 85026 which looks perfect for the mid-late 1980s.

Having said that, they could have lasted a little longer and would have passed into Railfreight Distribution or Freightliner ownership, but might not have survived beyond late 1997/early 1998 when the 92s were finally cleared for full WCML use.

Bah! The day I finally buy one in BR blue is the day the limited edition in railfreight grey that I really wanted is announced! It is a lovely model though. I'll get around to running it in later today. My one concern though is that the pantograph on mine insists on springing up to its full height ready to snag on the underside of bridges and signal gantries. Is there a way of readily locking it down without making it permanently down? My 85 will mostly find use double headed on diversions away from the wires.

I unhooked the springs, but then it sits tail up in the air. After unhooking the little rod too, it sits down, but I cannot get the little rod to go back in (it keeps flicking out). It seems odd that there is no way out of the box to fasten the pantograph in the down position.

Without being imobilised, the 85 managed to take out a footbridge then derail itself on entry to a tunnel because the pantograph springs up to maximum height without any wires to hold it down.

unless you plan on selling the model anytime soon I would go for a tiny dab of glue admitted with the usual cocktail stick onto the pan where it contacts the base and hold it down until it is set. should be easy enough to slice through the glue with a sharp craft knife if you decide to sell the model later.

in the lowered position I dont think its possible to the elbow between upper and lower arms to sit right down (if this is what you mean by the "tail"). Clipped down mine still sits up at the back.

• RMweb Premium

I've got the Electric Blue AL5 on pre-order..the model because of the high praise here and the AL5 because of how striking I find the livery.

A quick question - would it have run mainly (or indeed exclusively) with maroon mk1 coaches or would there have been variety in livery and stock?

That explains it- in an oddly circular twist, aren't Liliput now part of the Bachmann empire?

Sorry, I've selected the wrong edit, but in response to the thread on the Trix/Liliput E3001/class 81, it was a Trix model before being incorporated into the British Liliput range with the rest of the remaining British Trix range. However, in fact, it was originally tooled up by a separate company whose name escapes me (the bodies were originally made at the British Lego factory in Wrexham!), hence the use of a proper 4mm scale. The full story is in Tony Matthewman's comprehensive history of British Trix/Liliput book, but my copy is currenty in storage.

Edited by andyman7

it was a Trix model before being incorporated into the British Liliput range with the rest of the remaining British Trix range. However, in fact, it was originally tooled up by a separate company whose name escapes me

The model features on the cover of the 1962 edition of the Ian Allan 'abc of Model Railways' and is listed as being a Liliput model. Given the real loco only appeared in 1959 it seems unlikely to have been by ??, then Trix and then Liliput in that brief time.

As, I think, the poster who was supposed to have been quoted, here is a link to the history of Trix on MREMag:

http://www.mremag.demon.co.uk/hpsite/articles/col-18.12.99/trixhistory.htm

Quoting from the above:

'In 1958 Ernst Rozsa had established a company to import Liliput models from Austria. His company was called Miniature Constructions and assembled some of the Austrian models in the UK. He persuaded Liliput to make an 00 model of the Class AL1 E3000 for them. Rozsa joined Trix in 1961 and took with him the E3000 model.'

• RMweb Gold

I've got the Electric Blue AL5 on pre-order..the model because of the high praise here and the AL5 because of how striking I find the livery.

A quick question - would it have run mainly (or indeed exclusively) with maroon mk1 coaches or would there have been variety in livery and stock?

It comes without yellow 'apron',whch means pre-mid 1962-i.e.maroon mark ones.

It comes without yellow 'apron',whch means pre-mid 1962-i.e.maroon mark ones.

I think the AC electrics acquired small yellow panels later than the diesel fleet - possibly 1965? Was a SYP applied to locos at the same time as the second pantograph was removed? My railway interest started in the summer of 1964 when I lived near the electrified WCML and I remember AC electrics without yellow panels including the early AL6s which appeared later. Rail Portfolios 'The AC Electrics' shows several 1964 dated photographs without panels. It also shows a 1961 shot with a blood and custard coach although that is a rarity and maroon stock would be the most appropriate. They might have run panel-less with the earliest blue / grey coaches though?

As, I think, the poster who was supposed to have been quoted, here is a link to the history of Trix on MREMag:

http://www.mremag.de...trixhistory.htm

Quoting from the above:

'In 1958 Ernst Rozsa had established a company to import Liliput models from Austria. His company was called Miniature Constructions and assembled some of the Austrian models in the UK. He persuaded Liliput to make an 00 model of the Class AL1 E3000 for them. Rozsa joined Trix in 1961 and took with him the E3000 model.'

Thanks for untangling that. It was the name 'Miniature Constructions' I coldn't recall. The crucial point is that rights to the E3001 body mouldings belonged to Ernst Rosza and 'Miniature Constructions', not Liliput, whch is why he was able to take the model to Trix, and then back to Liliput in the 70s. By all accounts at the end of production his was very much a cottage industry assembling odd batches of the various models.

Hi All

85and81atBNS.jpg

Bachmann 85 and a heavily rebuilt trix 81. There must be something likt 50 years between these 2 models.

I have all the 85s and 81s I need for the layout but converting an 85 shouldn't be all that difficult really. Who's going to be first to have a go? :)

Cheers

Jim

Jim,

Any chance of a couple of photos of the roof of your Class 81 to help me finish 2 Trix/Liliput detailing jobs I have on the go at present (81014 and 81021)?

As soon as they are finished I'm half expecting Bachmann to make a well-timed Class 81 announcement.......

Cheers

Adrian