Class 85

Michael Delamar

Nigh on impossible to tell, considering the light on the model and the camera used, then there's your individual monitor settings and even individuals eye stigmaitisms. And I can guarantee whatever colour it is, I can find a prototype image to match....

Nigh on impossible to tell, considering the light on the model and the camera used, then there's your individual monitor settings and even individuals eye stigmaitisms. And I can guarantee whatever colour it is, I can find a prototype image to match....

Exactly... as a case in point, Charles Buchanan's book 'Sparks' has two colour shots of two pairs of AL4s in the same livery on opposing pages, but the rendition of the colours makes one look very pale and the other very much darker.

Just to add - one of the above models was shown to some colleagues on the club room layout at Rugby Station recently, all those present remarked on how good the livery looked. (Two of them actually worked on the AL5s in the 60s).

;)

Edited by Rugd1022

• 2 weeks later...

It is a bit like the class 73s - the early BR blue livery E6007 - 012 were delivered in is often described as being Electric Blue, but it wasn't, it was an early version of BR blue complete with a grey stripe along the bottom of the bodyside, cab roof and cab window surrounds.

E6013 onwards were delivered in this livery, but minus the grey band (I don't know about the cab roofs and window surrounds).

About the only '73 carrying anything remotely like Electric blue must surely have been 73004 (or was it '5?) in the light blue livery carried in the early '90s?

Sorry, just saying, like, becuase there are a few preserved '73s out there carrying incorrect liveries. I'm sure it would have been the same if there had been more 'Roarers' saved.

• Like 1

Now there's a thought put a 40 or 47 in front of it on a rake of coaches and have a drag away from the wires, (DCC of course) very tempted.

More of Dave's invisible ink ?

(See post 53 above)

• 2 weeks later...
cant wait. 30mins in, brief shot of an AL5...

Thanks for this - it is a fascinating movie - the AL5 puts in even a few more aoppearances..

Slightly off topic a surprisingly Blue? D244 with late Emblem makes an appearance at 90 mins in...

Looking at the pictures posted on the thread of the real things operating in the 80's, how did they turn the electric hauled expresses over at Euston and Glasgow? Was another AC electric backed on at the other end ready to take the next train? It may be a silly question but of course we don't see such things these days!

I am fairly sure about the what I saw - but my timing was a bit off :scratchhead:

1:16:40

ahh i know what you mean now :), thats a green class 40 this that.

ive got that video on both video and dvd, the video quality is better, i think they just took a copy from there own video and converted it to dvd, shame as a lot of colour has been washed out.

Guest Max Stafford

Looking at the pictures posted on the thread of the real things operating in the 80's, how did they turn the electric hauled expresses over at Euston and Glasgow? Was another AC electric backed on at the other end ready to take the next train? It may be a silly question but of course we don't see such things these days!

It was pretty much standard for the loco to sit on the buffers at Central back in pre-DVT days. Another loco would then come in from the layover sidings at the old Bridge Street station and take the train either south or away for servicing. The first loco would often follow the outgoing train to the platform signal then stop and wait for the nod to proceed to wherever it was scheduled to go.

Dave.

• RMweb Gold

By the late 80's and into the early 90's, Euston had the odd class 82 and 83 working ecs stock to/from Wembley. If you want to support Bachmann and DC Kits this would provide an option if your timeframe permits.

I dont think there was a station pilot/shunter. It was the same set up as Lime St, Piccadilly, Euston etc. It was usually another AC loco stabled in the sidings just across the river (visible from the station). This would back onto the train that had arrived from the south then take it out either back south on a service or a few miles up the line to the carriage depot at Polmadie where it might be cleaned or just stabled etc. the released loco could then go to the stabling point or possibly straight onto the front of a returning service to release another loco from the blocks and so on........

its what helped make the hobby interesting back then. these days with the plastic units all the variety and interest has gone.

Edited by ThaneofFife

I dont think there was a station pilot/shunter. It was the same set up as Lime St, Piccadilly, Euston etc. It was usually another AC loco stabled in the sidings just across the river (visible from the station). This would back onto the train that had arrived from the south then take it out either back south on a service or a few miles up the line to the carriage depot at Polmadie where it might be cleaned or just stabled etc. the released loco could then go to the stabling point or possibly straight onto the front of a returning service to release another loco from the blocks and so on........

its what helped make the hobby interesting back then. these days with the plastic units all the variety and interest has gone.

In their last few years of service the 85's were mainly used for ECS work to and from Piccadilly station and Longsight depot.

post-6977-0-81225400-1326531956.jpg

One of the class 85's, 85018, used by Longsight for empty stock workings from Manchester Piccadilly. August 1991.

Tom.

well id say thats a pretty rare photo Tom. well done mate. this has the hallmarks of a limited editions 85.

great stuff.

oh on the subject of loco release again i dare say many light engines trundled off to Shields Road electric depot a few miles outside of Central (where the APT was based).

• RMweb Premium

I don't think it's been mentioned here yet - but take a look at Hatton's website for some up close photos of the 'first painted sample'.... Notwithstanding the heavy windscreen wipers (not a criticism...!) it has the Wow factor!!

I had hoped this would have been out before the Bachmann announcements were due this year so they could gauge sales etc. If sales were good we may have seen another AC loco announced this year! As it stands I think they will sensibly await sales data before announcing another.

Still can't wait though looks fantastic!

cheers

mark

I think Bachmann did announce the 2EPB before the 4-CEP hit the shops so assuming they did, they must have known pre-orders were high to do another unit. I don't know how many people have pre-ordered an 85 but they may announce a 2nd electric this year based on the same logic.