DMU's & EMU's in Blue SYP

On 05/05/2020 at 07:42, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the information, as you mention there are plenty of photographs but mostly unidentified and yet most of the photographs of green or later style blue ones seem to have had there numbers recorded.

I have looked on RAILCAR.co.uk and found that 79646 was paired with 79125 and also that 79255 and 79039 ran together but no photographs of the other half. If nothing conclusive turns up then there is always rule one.

Gibbo.

I have corrected the caption. I can only go by what was written on the slide mount as the numbers are not legible on the image itself.

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 18/08/2021 at 17:13, stovepipe said:

Just catching up on this thread (some great images!) and noticed the track layout here. There's a crossover between the two through lines (single slip on the one coming towards the camera) but that crossover extends across to the platform at the end of the loop and then back out onto the same line. Obviously there must be a reason, and probably something obvious, but I'm struggling to figure it out. Does anyone know why? What precluded the use of just a standard crossover? I can't see any advantage of crossing to the platform road instead.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, JDW said:

Just catching up on this thread (some great images!) and noticed the track layout here. There's a crossover between the two through lines (single slip on the one coming towards the camera) but that crossover extends across to the platform at the end of the loop and then back out onto the same line. Obviously there must be a reason, and probably something obvious, but I'm struggling to figure it out. Does anyone know why? What precluded the use of just a standard crossover? I can't see any advantage of crossing to the platform road instead.

I'm from Lincoln, but to be honest, I've not noticed that before & have no definitive answer to your question, I'm afraid.

I will say though that the level crossing you can just see in the foreground was a major choke-point between rail traffic, road traffic & pedestrians, and had been since the railway was first built in the 19th century (it's alleviated a little now that the High Street has been pedestrianised, but still causes a lot of frustration for pedestrians). It may be that that particular arrangement was to allow a terminating DMU on platform 6 (on the right) to pull forward & then reverse across the crossover to head back to the depot without having to close the gates to road traffic. I Honestly don't know if this was a 'thing', so purely supposition on my part.

Kevin

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Pyewipe Jct said:

I'm from Lincoln, but to be honest, I've not noticed that before & have no definitive answer to your question, I'm afraid.

I will say though that the level crossing you can just see in the foreground was a major choke-point between rail traffic, road traffic & pedestrians, and had been since the railway was first built in the 19th century (it's alleviated a little now that the High Street has been pedestrianised, but still causes a lot of frustration for pedestrians). It may be that that particular arrangement was to allow a terminating DMU on platform 6 (on the right) to pull forward & then reverse across the crossover to head back to the depot without having to close the gates to road traffic. I Honestly don't know if this was a 'thing', so purely supposition on my part.

Kevin

It would make sense - if not for that, then for loco release from a train on the platform road, without opening the crossing gates, if such a move would be allowed. 

• RMweb Gold

Looking at photos and signalling diagrams of the other end of the station, it was possible for trains to be reversed towards the depot without having to use the west end of the station. Ground signals permitted moves across Pelham St. crossing. See Owen Stratford`s Flickr pages for signalling diagrams.

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Pyewipe Jct said:

Kevin

Hi Kevin

As a recent new comer to Lincolnshire I like it when I get caught at the High Street level crossing, it gives me chance to look at the trains. What does make me laugh are all the people who moan about the gates being closed when there is a bridge next to the level crossing, with lifts for those who cannot manage stairs.

I have been known after the gates have opened to walk down the road about 20 yards and wait for the gates to close again and go back to see the next train. After about five times I go off to B&H or Digitrains before someone thinks what is that nutter doing.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...